Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Enjoy the games

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    this is the most pathetic grudge i've read so far. get the fuck over it buddy. things happen out of our control. NO ONE expected this sort of run from the team. not fans, not the media, and i doubt even MU. trying to take credit for being 'right' (what exactly are anti-tankers even think they're right about???) just because the team all of a sudden started playing well out of nowhere is ludicrous.

remember when YOU said the previous version for the raptors WITH RUDY GAY were going to be a .500 team? you still think with rudy on the team that would have been the case?

the difference is you don't give a shit if the raptors win or lose. you said it yourself. you don't care if the raptors ever win a championship. you don't care if we get better or worse because you will love the team regardless. Useless, blind fanaticism doesn't make you a 'better' fan in any way. it just makes you someone with supremely low standards.
    There you go. "us tankers have higher standards than you people", for the 5,000th time, but yeah, take offense at somebody shoving back. If you don't like it, take Matt's suggestion and join him behind the ignore wall, where you only have to deal with being stroked.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're completely full of shit.

First, going back to the offseason (might have even been the end of last season) when there was a thread with a poll that asked posters to classify themselves as "tankers" or "tweakers", I never voted. I posted my rationale in that thread and many times since, stating that I believed in a retooling (ie: more than a tweak, but not a blatant tank).

Second, despite the teams' success so far this season, I still have serious reservations about their ability to be successful in any sustainable manner, without some retooling. The same problems continue to persist, primarily the fact that the team is capped-out (assuming Lowry is re-signed, because this team would be a part of the EC 'tankapalooza' without Lowry) and needs to rely on organic growth to improve further. Of course they could do so via trade (ie: talent for talent, such as DeRozan), which is exactly what retooling is. Many EC teams below Toronto in the current standings have been decimated by injuries, many are stockpiling young talent, many are stockpiling 1st round draft picks, many will have substantial cap space; it's very likely that at least some of them will equal or better the Raptors next season. Remember, 'no man's land' isn't just a here-and-now concept, but rather a fluid one (and I'm sure MU is well aware of this, to avoid a repeat of BC's approach in 06-07).

Third, the only "tanking" I ever supported was rebuilding/retooling that started during this season, when I did expect them to be a playoff bubble team at best. My rationale has always been that if a rebuild/retool was inevitable (ie: if that's what MU wants to do), they may as well start this season instead of waiting until next offseason, to ALSO take advantage of the allegedly strong/deep 2014 draft. I never once have said anything along the lines of "lets dump all our good players to lose on purpose to draft higher and get a savior"; the draft was also a beneficial by-product of a proper rebuild/retool, as far as any team-building strategy I proposed.

Fourth, what "proof" do you speak of? Had the rumored Lowry-to-NY trade happened, this team would be "tanking". If MU trades Lowry before the deadline, this team will be "tanking". Same goes for DeRozan or Johnson. I don't know what will happen, nor does anybody not named Masai Ujiri, pro-tanker or anti-tanker. Get off your high horse.

All I ever wanted was for the team to be rebuilt/retooled properly, far more efficiently and effectively than any of BC's frankenteams. MU unloaded Bargnani for draft picks, swapped Gay's uncertain albatross contract for several serviceable players (3 are/could be expiring), and was rumored to be looking to sell-high on Lowry's expiring contract. All those moves were perfectly aligned with my preferred approach, as stated several times in multiple threads (including 2 separate respectful exchanges directly with you).

I'm really not sure why you're spewing such venom at myself, Matt52 and others, in the midst of a fantastic 12 game stretch in the wake of the Gay trade. MU has yet to make any moves that run counter to the type of team-building I support. The team is winning, which is great.

The only "proof" I see is proof of your continued ignorance, as opposed to actually trying to understand the team-building strategy being promoted by many (not all) 'pro-tankers'. Instead, you (and some other 'anti-tankers') have always maintained your own preconceived notion about "tanking" and arbitrarily painted all 'pro-tankers' with the same brush, even when we went to great lengths to try and explain that what you think "tanking" is and what we want are two entirely different things!

It's never been all about losing and improving the Raptors' own 2014 1st round pick, as a be-all and end-all strategy. As such, I'm not the least bit disappointed to see this team improving and winning. I've also not changed my belief that at some point, some degree of retooling will be necessary for this team to truly jump to the next level of contending in the NBA. I still think getting a high lottery pick in the 2014 draft would have been a great and logical way to jumpstart any rebuilding/retooling, but there are other ways of getting such a pick, be it during the season or during the draft itself. That's precisely why the asset accumulation part of the strategy has always been far more important to the team-building process than just the Raptors' own 2014 pick for us 'pro-tankers'... maybe that point will sink in someday!

Bold 1: Well said. Saves me typing.... although I only see his posts when other reply with quote it.

Bold 2: Unlikely. If they don't get it by now, they will never get it.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

3. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    There you go. "us tankers have higher standards than you people", for the 5,000th time, but yeah, take offense at somebody shoving back. If you don't like it, take Matt's suggestion and join him behind the ignore wall, where you only have to deal with being stroked.
    i'm not talking about anti-tankers or protankers. i am specifically talking about that ONE person and things they have specifically said themselves.

i get along with most pro-tankers and anti-tankers on this site just fine, unlike you.

Post Thanks / Like

this is the most pathetic grudge i've read so far. get the fuck over it buddy. things happen out of our control. NO ONE expected this sort of run from the team. not fans, not the media, and i doubt even MU. trying to take credit for being 'right' (what exactly are anti-tankers even think they're right about???) just because the team all of a sudden started playing well out of nowhere is ludicrous.

remember when YOU said the previous version of the raptors WITH RUDY GAY were going to be a .500 team? you still think with rudy on the team that would have been the case?

the difference is you don't give a shit if the raptors win or lose. you said it yourself. you don't care if the raptors ever win a championship. you don't care if we get better or worse because you will love the team regardless. Useless, blind fanaticism doesn't make you a 'better' fan in any way. it just makes you someone with supremely low standards.
    Too funny.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not talking about anti-tankers or protankers. i am specifically talking about that ONE person and things they have specifically said themselves.

i get along with most pro-tankers and anti-tankers on this site just fine, unlike you.
    p00ka thinks the ignore list is about conversing with like minded people.

Sadly he doesn't understand that it is about not conversing with or wasting time reading ignorant, abrasive, confrontational, childish, and/or intolerant people who provide little joy, enlightenment, or ingenuity to the discussion.

By the way, you need more lube..... thanks.
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    p00ka thinks the ignore list is about conversing with like minded people.

Sadly he doesn't understand that it is about not conversing with or wasting time reading ignorant, abrasive, confrontational, childish, and/or intolerant people who provide little joy, enlightenment, or ingenuity to the discussion.

By the way, you need more lube..... thanks.
    lmao, way to full of himself. No pal, in your case the ignore wall is you being cowardly. Bullies are like that when someone stands up to them. Has always been that way.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not here to "get along". I have plenty of friends in the real world. I came here to discuss the Raptors and the NBA. But just like a basketball team needs role players, so does this RR team. My role has been defined by identifying a missing piece: a thorn in the side of jackasses. You don't like it? You can't handle the heat? Go join your buddy behind the coward wall, or stop whining about how I don't get along.

Post Thanks / Like

Is thread about something or can I close it now? I was gonna moderate it but closing it seems easier

Thread Information