Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...Is Casey a Good Coach or a Bad Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even coaches can learn and yes he is actually a pretty good coach people. Another thing His offense can now be run 3 seasons coaching 2 uncoachble guys that dont work in a system and simply chuck when the ball comes to them (Gay and Bargnani) The offense is now flowing well.

If casey is here next season I wont be upset hes showing what he can do running a team of players that arent trying to outshine anyone. Numbers dont lie 9th Defensive squad in the league with a starting line up consisting of no real outstanding defensive players and 2 sophmore players.... Go Casey! #ExtendCasey guys who get no love that should though is Nick Nurse and Tom Sterner and his epic face.

Comment

Instead of running a 6 man rotation of effective or semi-effective players, he now has a full 8-9 man rotation so I think that is the major contributor for his better 'coaching'.

Comment

Great defensive coach ... will need some help on the offensive side ... With the growth of this team, Casey too, will be a great coach to lead these guys to NBA title in 3 years.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
          I dont give him credit for this at all. He FINALLY realized that he should give it a try ... way too late. He still doesnt believe in TR in 4th, which makes no sense.

Bottom line, hes a nice guy, a solid motivator, but a pretty bad coach. No idea about clock management (have we forgot about the charlotte (i think) game where he just let them run out the clock and didnt foul down by 1? All the inbounds play turnovers? The nonsensical rotations?

Ya, hes gotten better - mostly because hes been forced to play players he should have played all along. But make no mistake, hes a bad coach.
          That is spot on!
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I dont give him credit for this at all. He FINALLY realized that he should give it a try ... way too late. He still doesnt believe in TR in 4th, which makes no sense.

Bottom line, hes a nice guy, a solid motivator, but a pretty bad coach. No idea about clock management (have we forgot about the charlotte (i think) game where he just let them run out the clock and didnt foul down by 1? All the inbounds play turnovers? The nonsensical rotations?

Ya, hes gotten better - mostly because hes been forced to play players he should have played all along. But make no mistake, hes a bad coach.

Who gets credit for our massive improvement on the defence ? We are #9 in the NBA now and we were almost at the bottom of the league.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              Just throwing this out there.

Did Casey suddenly have an epiphany the day that Rudy left? Or was he coaching the same way he is now, but players are starting to listen? Or was he coaching based on the talent he had on the team before the trade?

Doug Smith always used to say "Coaches get too much credit when a team wins, and too much blame when they lose."

Could it be that Casey is a bad coach, but the new players are of such an elite talent that they can ignore his instructions and win the games based on their own skills?

Inquiring minds want to know what the Republic thinks.
              Anyone believing the Raptors landed a boatload of "elite" talent in the Rudy Gay trade needs to give their head a shake. BUT - the talent they got does fit better with what Casey is trying to do.

It was Ujiri that said it's his job to find talent that matches with his coach.
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Makes no sense, unless you're him and your job is to win games, which he's doing,,,,,,,, with consistent strong 4th qtr play. Damn, 3rd in the league for 4th qtr differential, but what he does makes no sense? Huh? You think Ross would push them to 1st? No.

Perhaps it makes no sense if Casey was trying to cater to your vision of what Ross needs, but let's be real. Your vision is based on far less NBA expertise, and far less knowledge of Ross's development, than his. In any case, it's been making sense if his job is to win games, and Salmons' better defense has been helping do just that.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                  Coaching doesn't make much difference. The players are better now than they have been in a long time. There aren't any shit players gobbling up minutes anymore. Everybody's at least average. Any team in that situation would be winning. Like Henry Abbott would say, a deck chair could coach a team like this.
                  I assume that's sarcasm?

The Nets are all standing in line to agree with that right about now.........

The league is as full of egos, air heads and hard to manage players as it ever was - plus there's no shortage of not ready for prime time young players that GMs force their coaches to play.
                  The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I think MU understands what he has in DC. Unfortunately if Casey wins coach of the year we will be back to 2006-2007. See article on www.realgm.com from today regarding DC. I still think MU is smarter than BC in this regard. We will see if DC is the next Sam Mirchell.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Just throwing this out there.

Did Casey suddenly have an epiphany the day that Rudy left? Or was he coaching the same way he is now, but players are starting to listen? Or was he coaching based on the talent he had on the team before the trade?

Doug Smith always used to say "Coaches get too much credit when a team wins, and too much blame when they lose."

Could it be that Casey is a bad coach, but the new players are of such an elite talent that they can ignore his instructions and win the games based on their own skills?

Inquiring minds want to know what the Republic thinks.
                      You should know to ignore Doug Smith.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        I think MU understands what he has in DC. Unfortunately if Casey wins coach of the year we will be back to 2006-2007. See article on www.realgm.com from today regarding DC. I still think MU is smarter than BC in this regard. We will see if DC is the next Sam Mirchell.
                        Here is a section of that article that stood out for me. " Casey started coaching in 1979 and has been in the NBA since 1994; there’s nothing he can’t figure out on the court. Basketball is basic geometry, not applied calculus. Like any coach, if he has the players, he can win games. After two seasons with Colangelo, one with Ujiri may save his career."

Hard to believe Casey is as stupid as many here would claim, or as his rotations and time-out use and out-of-time-out plays make him seem. Maybe it was all in the mix of players. His weird substitutions made it seem like he was searching for solutions in many of those games.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          You should know to ignore Doug Smith.
                          In this case, I happen to think he is right. Coaches get too much credit and too much blame.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                            Who gets credit for our massive improvement on the defence ? We are #9 in the NBA now and we were almost at the bottom of the league.
                            Ya - I would give him some credit for that for sure. He is a solid defensive coach.

Comment

A good Coach is one who makes the best of the available resources. One whose team wins at least 2-3 wins more than it is supposed to. The players he has should not matter. Considering this Casey is a bad Coach. Gay or not, he should be able to show a winning result.

If the team lost with Gay and is winning without him, obviously it's the players that are making the difference. Casey can't take credit for it. Besides, he was brought in here to change the defensive play of the team but hasn't shown much in that area either.

To his credit though, it must be noted that he seems to have a little more success in the latter part of his tenure (Minny). I hope management does not reward him a new deal due to the present success.

S V Gundy should be brought in if available.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                                Makes no sense, unless you're him and your job is to win games, which he's doing,,,,,,,, with consistent strong 4th qtr play. Damn, 3rd in the league for 4th qtr differential, but what he does makes no sense? Huh? You think Ross would push them to 1st? No.

Perhaps it makes no sense if Casey was trying to cater to your vision of what Ross needs, but let's be real. Your vision is based on far less NBA expertise, and far less knowledge of Ross's development, than his. In any case, it's been making sense if his job is to win games, and Salmons' better defense has been helping do just that.
                                Fair enough .. if you think hes a good coach, then youre entitled to that opinion. I would just point out that all of his NBA experience and knowledge of player development had JV's ass nailed to the bench in the 4th quarter until recently, despite him clearly being one of our most productive players. All of that experience thought it made sense to not foul at Charlotte when we were down and they just ran out the shot clock and ended the game, and all that experience routinely screws up late game clock management and fouling and has come up with some of the most nonsensical rotations Ive ever seen this year (thank god hes realized that it makes sense to keep KL in with the 2nd unit for some continuity).

So ya - he has WAAAAAY more experience than I do (I think that goes without saying, but ill repeat it for your benefit), but he sure makes some dumb decisions despite it.

Comment

Working...
                                X