Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...Is Casey a Good Coach or a Bad Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Great defensive coach ... will need some help on the offensive side ... With the growth of this team, Casey too, will be a great coach to lead these guys to NBA title in 3 years.
    What?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
      A good Coach is one who makes the best of the available resources. One whose team wins at least 2-3 wins more than it is supposed to. The players he has should not matter. Considering this Casey is a bad Coach. Gay or not, he should be able to show a winning result.

If the team lost with Gay and is winning without him, obviously it's the players that are making the difference. Casey can't take credit for it. Besides, he was brought in here to change the defensive play of the team but hasn't shown much in that area either.

To his credit though, it must be noted that he seems to have a little more success in the latter part of his tenure (Minny). I hope management does not reward him a new deal due to the present success.

S V Gundy should be brought in if available.
      Obviously if a coach like SVG wants to come to Toronto, we sign him. But Casey isn't a bad option. If the choice is between Casey and a college coach, the choice becomes a lot harder. There's no guarantee that we get the next Brad Stevens.

And the whole "is supposed to win more games" thing doesn't seem like much of an argument. Maybe that team was just bad. Gay was a chucker, and we had absolutely no bench. Plus you're saying a coach should help a team win a few extra games over the course of the season, but Gay was shipped away after 18 games.

Finally, the 2007 team isn't necessarily the most awful thing to emulate. Garbo's injury really derailed it, and a lot of cap room was wasted on crappy players like Turk/JO
      Last edited by stooley; Wed Jan 1, 2014, 06:47 PM.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

and re:JV.

I think bringing in a young player and putting too much pressure on him to produce, or raising him onto a pedestal can create bad habits. When changing play styles or techniques, you have to get worse before you get better. Maybe Casey wanted JV focused on finetuning his game and working on his weaknesses, but if he had been in the game later, he may have reverted to the style of play he's more comfortable with.

Just saying, that there are a lot of factors at play, and I don't think we can say Casey was necessarily doing anything to harm JV's development.
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Casey is still an idiot.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Casey is still an idiot.
            It IS more fun that way
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I'd like to see the Raptors for ONCE in a very long time hire an established Head Coach who has a proven track record of leading teams to Wins. Maybe not right now, but I'd be surprised if Casey managed to stick around.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                Fair enough .. if you think hes a good coach, then youre entitled to that opinion. I would just point out that all of his NBA experience and knowledge of player development had JV's ass nailed to the bench in the 4th quarter until recently, despite him clearly being one of our most productive players. All of that experience thought it made sense to not foul at Charlotte when we were down and they just ran out the shot clock and ended the game, and all that experience routinely screws up late game clock management and fouling and has come up with some of the most nonsensical rotations Ive ever seen this year (thank god hes realized that it makes sense to keep KL in with the 2nd unit for some continuity).

So ya - he has WAAAAAY more experience than I do (I think that goes without saying, but ill repeat it for your benefit), but he sure makes some dumb decisions despite it.
                Not saying he's particularly good coach, nor that he doesn't make mistakes. I thought it was clear I was addressing your specific opinion that sitting Ross in the 4th makes no sense. In fact that, and Ross's development implications, is all I was talking about.

I really shake my head at some of the apparent decisions too, but you know what? I've had moments like that with every coach/team in the league. Yes, even Pop, and I'm sure I'd have more of them if I watched those teams near as intensely as I do the Raptors.

BTW, when I speak to NBA and basketball expertise of people actually working in the league, I'm truly not trying to be flippant about people having their opinions. I'm just trying to instill a little sobering realism into what I feel is too much certainty sometimes. My realism is that I've played the game up to the college level, been involved in coaching up to that level too (guest coaching in the case of college), but I know that I know nothing about what it's like coaching at that level, and what goes into some of these decisions, so try not to be too judgmental.

All I know is, that for whatever reason that we may guess, not only is this entire team now buying into what he and the fellow coaches have been preaching, but that Casey is a actually making wise rotation decisions, calling good timeouts, and calling some good plays out of timeouts,,,,,, pretty consistently. AND I loved how wound up he was on the sidelines last night, as commentators said "willing his team to win", while calling out defensive instructions that help lead to the win. The players seem tuned in, and playing damn hard for the man. He can't be that bad.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Here is a section of that article that stood out for me. " Casey started coaching in 1979 and has been in the NBA since 1994; there’s nothing he can’t figure out on the court. Basketball is basic geometry, not applied calculus. Like any coach, if he has the players, he can win games. After two seasons with Colangelo, one with Ujiri may save his career."

Hard to believe Casey is as stupid as many here would claim, or as his rotations and time-out use and out-of-time-out plays make him seem. Maybe it was all in the mix of players. His weird substitutions made it seem like he was searching for solutions in many of those games.
                  It's clear that DC needs to get better X's and O's help from his assistants, and acknowledge where he needs the help of others.

I remember watching some panel on nba.com talking about the Knicks game where Woodson completely screwed up calling a time-out, and one panel member said something about the "Dwayne Casey school of clock utilization" or something like that.

DC is an excellent motivational guy, however, with good credibility with his players. I'm not opposed to re-signing him, but he does need to show a lot of improvement with his roster and play calls.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Not saying he's particularly good coach, nor that he doesn't make mistakes. I thought it was clear I was addressing your specific opinion that sitting Ross in the 4th makes no sense. In fact that, and Ross's development implications, is all I was talking about.

I really shake my head at some of the apparent decisions too, but you know what? I've had moments like that with every coach/team in the league. Yes, even Pop, and I'm sure I'd have more of them if I watched those teams near as intensely as I do the Raptors.

BTW, when I speak to NBA and basketball expertise of people actually working in the league, I'm truly not trying to be flippant about people having their opinions. I'm just trying to instill a little sobering realism into what I feel is too much certainty sometimes. My realism is that I've played the game up to the college level, been involved in coaching up to that level too (guest coaching in the case of college), but I know that I know nothing about what it's like coaching at that level, and what goes into some of these decisions, so try not to be too judgmental.

All I know is, that for whatever reason that we may guess, not only is this entire team now buying into what he and the fellow coaches have been preaching, but that Casey is a actually making wise rotation decisions, calling good timeouts, and calling some good plays out of timeouts,,,,,, pretty consistently. AND I loved how wound up he was on the sidelines last night, as commentators said "willing his team to win", while calling out defensive instructions that help lead to the win. The players seem tuned in, and playing damn hard for the man. He can't be that bad.
                    I do agree with the bold .. he certainly seems to have figured out rotations and time outs lately (I guess the roster being more complete with 2 legit back up bigs and a much better back up PG helps the rotations). Time outs I cant explain - he has been historically awful at using them (or more accurately not using them) - but seems to be better the last two weeks.

We havent really had many tight games down the stretch post Gay, so havent tested many inbounds plays or late game sets. We have been very bad in these situations previously - we will see if that improves.

All in all, the relevant comparison isnt whether or not I know more about bball than he does or whether I could coach the team better, its whether George Karl, SVG or whoever the replacement would be can do a better job than Casey, and Im quite confident after three years of evidence with DC that there are many improvements upon him out there ...

Comment

I think he has always been a good coach. The players were the problem and u see that after the trade.

There is only one thing I hate that he does and that is putting 2 point guards on the floor at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Casey is an OK coach. He did come out and say his offensive sets are the same since Rudy left, which I believe is true. Rudy was probably a cancer in the locker room and getting him out of there made the chemistry 100 times better which has shown on the court. Doubt he makes it past the year as Masai will find the coach to lead them to the promised land

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          I'd like to see the Raptors for ONCE in a very long time hire an established Head Coach who has a proven track record of leading teams to Wins. Maybe not right now, but I'd be surprised if Casey managed to stick around.
                          You make it sound like those coaches are a dime a dozen, the majority of them are already coaching or don't want to coach unless a particular circumstance comes up (JVG, SVG, Phil Jackson, etc)

I'd much rather take a flier on a rookie head coach then go the route of someone like the Bucks or Pistons who just hired Larry Drew and Mo Cheeks, respectively. Those sorts of coaches are just rehashed and will produce average results. Rookie coaches don't always work (Kidd, although that's a very odd circumstance) but look at the Suns, Celtics, Bobcats, Hawks, all have first year coaching and the Blazers have a 2nd year coach. That's the way to get a good coach I think, especially since the Raptors is not an attractive situation to the top tier coaches. Maybe Casey is that guy (Doc Rivers and Spolstra weren't great coaches until they got great players) but maybe he isn't (Jay Triano, ugh)

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                            Obviously if a coach like SVG wants to come to Toronto, we sign him. But Casey isn't a bad option. If the choice is between Casey and a college coach, the choice becomes a lot harder. There's no guarantee that we get the next Brad Stevens.

And the whole "is supposed to win more games" thing doesn't seem like much of an argument. Maybe that team was just bad. Gay was a chucker, and we had absolutely no bench. Plus you're saying a coach should help a team win a few extra games over the course of the season, but Gay was shipped away after 18 games.

Finally, the 2007 team isn't necessarily the most awful thing to emulate. Garbo's injury really derailed it, and a lot of cap room was wasted on crappy players like Turk/JO
                            As far SV Gundy is concerned I did say "if available". If not, a coaching change must be made IMO.

"Maybe that team was bad" or maybe it would have played to it's potential if the Coach was different.

Let''s not forget that Sacramento supposedly got the better of the trade while the Raptors were trading to tank. My point is, they had a better team (on paper) before the trade as far as overall talent is concerned. The success after the trade happened unexpectedly and Casey cannot be given any credit for it. If anything, Masai can be given credit.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                              As far SV Gundy is concerned I did say "if available". If not, a coaching change must be made IMO.

"Maybe that team was bad" or maybe it would have played to it's potential if the Coach was different.

Let''s not forget that Sacramento supposedly got the better of the trade while the Raptors were trading to tank. My point is, they had a better team (on paper) before the trade as far as overall talent is concerned. The success after the trade happened unexpectedly and Casey cannot be given any credit for it. If anything, Masai can be given credit.
                              I'm not sure what logic dictates this.
                              "Bruno?
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                                I'm not sure what logic dictates this.
                                Agreed. Casey is looking like a better coach with each game since the trade. We are playing some crazy good D, and thats primarily what he was brought here for.

Comment

Working...
                                X