Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: So...Is Casey a Good Coach or a Bad Coach?

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is holding Casey back anymore. He finally has a set rotation, one that he's never had since he first arrived. He's also not tied down into making anyone a superstar, or anyone be that guy.

Still not a big time supporter of Casey, but he definitely deserves his credit.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like him.

i think he's had a very hard job in Toronto so far, and he's dealt with it like a pro.

Its funny, so many criticized his playcalling skills, his offence, yet it seems ot be pretty good when the player actually play good honest ball.

I like what I see lately. He's a big part of that.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

bad coach. a few good games doesn't erase all the bonehead moves he's made over the time he's been the raps head coach.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still maintain the possibility of keeping Casey as an assistant if MU decides to bring in another head coach. If a big name coach is available, why not see if Casey is willing to stay on as an assistant to run the defence?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I still maintain the possibility of keeping Casey as an assistant if MU decides to bring in another head coach. If a big name coach is available, why not see if Casey is willing to stay on as an assistant to run the defence?
    I'd be ok with that. There's no denying the impact Casey's had on the defensive side of the ball.

But in the land of egos, does Casey accept a demotion? Ujiri would have to tread lightly.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'd be ok with that. There's no denying the impact Casey's had on the defensive side of the ball.

But in the land of egos, does Casey accept a demotion? Ujiri would have to tread lightly.
    Well that's definitely the key there, would Casey want that position after being the head coach for the past 3 seasons. Honestly, it seems unlikely, but unless another offer is on the table, he may very well accept the job.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach Casey's resume:

- Coached a Toronto Raptors team which was consistently dead last in defensive rankings to top 10 and climbing
    - Championship ring with Dallas, where he was given credit from yet another top 10 defense that is the only team to beat the Miami heat in a 7 game series

I think those two points alone are enough to get him another shot at being a head coach should Toronto let him go. Lot's of bad defensive teams would love to have a guy like Casey.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that is a possibility. Things just don't work that way.

Look at Colangelo's brief demotion. It didn't last long.

You can't have the guy making the final decision giving his .02 to then be dismissed by the new guy making the decisions. It just doesn't work that way. Then there are the loyalties of the players and perceived undermining. Ugh. It would be a clusterf*ck in my opinion.

I agree with the theory. Ideally when Casey was hired, Triano should have been retained for offense. Things just don't work that way.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that's definitely the key there, would Casey want that position after being the head coach for the past 3 seasons. Honestly, it seems unlikely, but unless another offer is on the table, he may very well accept the job.
    Maybe we can convince Carlisle to come to Toronto, and reunite him with his championship assistant coach.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

10. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think that is a possibility. Things just don't work that way.

Look at Colangelo's brief demotion. It didn't last long.

You can't have the guy making the final decision giving his .02 to then be dismissed by the new guy making the decisions. It just doesn't work that way. Then there are the loyalties of the players and perceived undermining. Ugh. It would be a clusterf*ck in my opinion.

I agree with the theory. Ideally when Casey was hired, Triano should have been retained for offense. Things just don't work that way.
    Yeah, it does seem like a potential clusterf*ck. It's going to be interesting to see what the Raps start with next season, in terms of coaching, Lowry, and the draft etc. Everything is just up in the air right now. I guess in the meantime I should be satisfied to just enjoy the basketball.

But...I never really had much respect for Casey until the Rudy trade, and I'm finding it hard to convince myself that just one guy like that could have such a net negative impact on how the team played ball. Is it really possible that the coaching staff were preaching the same stuff with Rudy than they are without, and it was just a matter of Rudy's ego saying no, I think we'll do it my way. Seems ludicrous, but if that is the case then maybe Casey isn't so bad and just needed the right type of players around him. Maybe Rudy was sabotaging the team so that he would be traded, it seems more and more likely to me that he just didn't want to be here.

In any event, he seems to be doing a good job lately so hopefully he keeps it up!!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...I'm finding it hard to convince myself that just one guy like that could have such a net negative impact on how the team played ball. Is it really possible that the coaching staff were preaching the same stuff with Rudy than they are without, and it was just a matter of Rudy's ego saying no, I think we'll do it my way....
    I think it's even harder to believe that after his whole time here, he suddenly coincidentally learned how to be an effective coach at the exact same time that Rudy left.

13. Like Superjudge, Nilanka, Shrub liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey in interviews has been incredibly humble giving 100% credit to the players (namely JV, Ross Lowry and DeMar)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Casey in interviews has been incredibly humble giving 100% credit to the players (namely JV, Ross Lowry and DeMar)
    What!? He's not showing any love for Amir. Well I vote for no extension lol

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey is class personified. People don't understand how much of a joke we we're before him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

17. Like Superjudge, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I think it's even harder to believe that after his whole time here, he suddenly coincidentally learned how to be an effective coach at the exact same time that Rudy left.
    also the first time he has a playable bench. up until now he has been giving everyone their chance to take the minutes and no one has.
    For The Win

19. Like Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Casey is still an idiot.
    I know man. He just made up the position of "three-guard" to describe Lebron James...

"They've got a power forward that's really a point guard, two-guard, three-guard all in one" Casey said.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is just terrible, starting with the title.

"Is Casey a Good coach or a Bad Coach?"

This goes right back to the black and white theme on this forum. I didn't realize there were two possible classifications for the skill level of a coach. The reality is Casey's coaching can not be merely summed up as good or bad.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

His team is rocking, he just won coach of the month, players like and more importantly in the NBA respect him.

Other coaches like him, GM's like him. His GM likes what he's doing, writers like him.

just guys on message boards think he "sucks", is a "moron", has "no clue" yadda yadda yadda.

Casey is a capable NBA coach, and he's got your team winning. Whats to discuss

23. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    This thread is just terrible, starting with the title.

"Is Casey a Good coach or a Bad Coach?"

This goes right back to the black and white theme on this forum. I didn't realize there were two possible classifications for the skill level of a coach. The reality is Casey's coaching can not be merely summed up as good or bad.
    Well...members of this forum, up until 13 weeks ago or so, have criticized his rotations, offensive schemes, time out plays, player minutes, substitutions, time out usage, player development and game preparation, just off the top of my head.

I don't think someone can be bad in all those areas and be considered a good coach. In fact, he was counted among the worst coaches in the league. Then suddenly the team started winning.

I am not going to go back and check your game comment posts Nosike, to see if you were one of the ones calling him a bad coach. But you must admit there was no lack of those kind of comments. Now that the Raps have run off a string of wins, people are talking about how good of a coach he is. Some of the same people that were calling for his head.

So does he get blame for the losses, as some were claiming? Does he get credit for the wins, as some are now claiming? How is this not a legitimate thread? And the title sums it up quite nicely.

A side benefit of this thread is that maybe some RR members will try to temper their extreme positions in future. Because very little in NBA basketball is black and white...except that it's okay to hate the Knicks and Lakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    ...Whats to discuss
    See the post above.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information