Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will another star make this team is legitimate contender for East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this team is 2-3 years from being in the hunt without adding another star: 2 of our 5 starters are under 23. If this team continues to play defense and shares the ball like they have been we are going to be a force just by growing with what we have.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
      Gasol will be of your books next season for 19 million. that will allow you to sign another star and add to your core to compete for " Multiple Years".
      That's banking on the free agent market pretty heavily. You can't be sure you attract a top star. You also seal that as the team you're moving forward with. It's stupidly risky team building. Again, not worth it.

Comment

I'm not even sure what kind of player you can bring in for an upgrade. Ross is playing great as a starter, and it would be nice to see him continue to get the minutes. Amir is such an underrated player, and just a great compliment to JV. Lowry is playing like an allstar, Demar is up and down offensively but he is playing some pretty good all around ball. I have been very impressed with him defensively, he has done a great job against Butler and Deng in CHI, and tonight he did great against Stephenson and George. JV has also been playing great. Salmons has been a great veteran wing off the bench, and his defense has been especially impressive. Vasquez is a pretty good backup point, and Patterson and Hans give you that stretch 4 and that hard hat intangible play respectively. The pieces are coming together nicely. Who can be realistically brought in right now to make the team better without creating some obvious holes? Monroe, Deng, Boozer, Rondo...I don't know. And what do you give up to get them? Thats really the question for me, because I would be satisfied to watch this team as is for the rest of the year, and let MU try and upgrade in the offseason. It's tricky too what with Lowry's contract situation.

I wonder if that star talent player is available to be had, and if we have the assets to get them. I'd be really hesitant giving up draft picks, even mid-range ones.

Comment

How about using that Knicks pick in a trade? Gasol doesn't fit, and if the rumors are true, he may be available for a lot less anyway. The Raps need a legit backup center and if at all possible a legit, efficient SF.

The problem is that the only players that could be traded without altering the momentum of the Raps are Fields, Daye, Buycks, and Novak. Obviously they should trade anyone if the trade is a net win. But otherwise, those are the assets that you would think they are more aggressively offering.

Honestly, there's no rush. Unless you can get Deng, or Afflalo and keep the 9 rotation players, this team isn't winning a title this year. Don't trade a draft pick in such a deep draft year -- you never know who drops. Patience.

Comment

I just don't see that star being available via free agency. The only 2 names I see that make obvious sense are Bosh and James....and 19 million isn't enough for either if they get max offers.

Bledsoe? Not snatching him from PHX.

Deng? 2nd tier star looking for last big contract, who gets nagging injuries and who could start declining during his next contract.

Best chance would probably be hoping someone becomes available in a trade, and using capspace for that. But in that scenario, the team trading them may prefer assets to a large TPE, which can be useless, especially in this day of having a floor level payroll.

Comment

What kind of future assets are those ?? Late first round , 15+ in the first round ?? Guys like Joey Graham and ... We have a chance to make it NOW ... and then with the money off the books, sign a star this off season.

Building via the draft does not make any sense for this team anymore.
              Don't give up on the draft...even if 15th pick.

Comment

It may be best to do nothing unless MU is able to fleece someone.

Comment

I really think ujiri knows what he's doing.

We currently have a great starting 5 in place.

We have a ton of flexibility moving forwards even if Lowry is resigned

We have all our draft picks and then some. This is very similar to the situation Houston was in prior to trading for harden, except our team is actually younger and we have one elite prospect on the roster, and another who has demonstrated he can be a starter or great sixth man in this league.

I'm so hyped, this is sick. First time in a long time the raptors have been looking up

Comment

If the Raps wait until free agency, how does the stretch provision work? Could they use it on Fields to create more financial space?

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      Don't give up on the draft...even if 15th pick.
                      Yep

Look at Indiana.

Hill - traded for 15th pick (kawhi)
                      Stephenson - late first round pick iirc, maybe second round, someone check lol
                      George - 10th
                      Hibbert - 17th

Is a mid round pick the best way to get a star? No. But is it very possible to get one there? Yes.

Comment

This team is showing heart and poise and discipline. Will another star help this team to pass Indiana and really make the life hard for Heat ...

We have Hayes, Novak and Fields on the bench for 14 million. We have our 2014 draft pick ( middle of the first round) and NY 2015 and bunch of 2nd round picks ...

How about combinations of these contracts with those picks for Gasol to come off the bench in Toronto ?

We can make a real push for East this year and have 19 million off the books next season ... Is a middle of the 1st round pick in this season that important ?

Just imagine a 1 and 2 punch of Big Val and Gasol against the bigs gf Indiana and Heat ... They will have no answer for us ...
                        How does that trade help the Lakers? I don't think the 1st rounder is a soother for the extra money have to pay in luxury taxes.

Comment

How about Milsaps ... We need another star this season ...

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            How does that trade help the Lakers? I don't think the 1st rounder is a soother for the extra money have to pay in luxury taxes.
                            It is ... they get some future talents, save over 20 million alone in taxes and ... We don't have to make trade with Lakers. There are other stars that can help us to seriously go for it this year and all we have to do is to say goodbye to our late first round pick in this year's draft.

Comment

It is ... they get some future talents, save over 20 million alone in taxes and ... We don't have to make trade with Lakers. There are other stars that can help us to seriously go for it this year and all we have to do is to say goodbye to our late first round pick in this year's draft.
                              It doesn't soothe their tax problem, they'd still be paying taxes. A few other things:
                              Hayes, as part of the trade, cannot be traded in combination with others until closer to the trade deadline. If he is to be traded at the moment, can only be traded on his own.
                              Secondly, why would Toronto give up a 1st rounder in a deep draft? For a few months of Gasol? To make it to the 2nd round? It's not worth it.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                Secondly, why would Toronto give up a 1st rounder in a deep draft? For a few months of Gasol? To make it to the 2nd round? It's not worth it.
                                getting passed the 2nd round means playing in the East finals and having a chance at wining east !!! Why not ?? Aren't we competing now ? Gasol was just an example ... Our draft picks can get us another star ... We need to believe that we can beat Indiana , which we did and with another star and little bit of luck , maybe even Heat

Comment

Working...
                                X