Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Will another star make this team is legitimate contender for East ?

Post Thanks / Like

Need to draft well in the 2014 draft...grab a sleeper.

Need to pick up some good FA's in the off-season to replace Buycks, Stone, Daye...like maybe Devin Harris, Marshon Brooks and Jae Crowder. (Now there's a bench)

Need to magically package Fields with Novak to a team that's playoff bound, and starving for 3 point shooting. (unlikely, but in Masai we trust) ...get back a 2nd legitimate veteran presence who has some gas left but don't mind riding the pine.

Keep JV, DD, KL, AJ, TR, PP, GV, JS, TH.

Then, in 2016 go heavy into the luxury tax and sign KD.

My God, am I excited.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    Need to draft well in the 2014 draft...grab a sleeper.

Need to pick up some good FA's in the off-season to replace Buycks, Stone, Daye...like maybe Devin Harris, Marshon Brooks and Jae Crowder. (Now there's a bench)

Need to magically package Fields with Novak to a team that's playoff bound, and starving for 3 point shooting. (unlikely, but in Masai we trust) ...get back a 2nd legitimate veteran presence who has some gas left but don't mind riding the pine.

Keep JV, DD, KL, AJ, TR, PP, GV, JS, TH.

Then, in 2016 go heavy into the luxury tax and sign KD.

My God, am I excited.
    Take it easy Big Fella.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    The only way a top free agent like Durant will come to Toronto is if we make the conference finals at least once in the next 2 years. If we want to get these stars, we have to show them that we are READY to compete and not n the rebuild stage anymore.
    Dude, free agents go where they please. Miami (a pretty impossible case to repeat) was coming off mediocre-to-dreadful years before signing their big 3. NY had nothing going for it to attract Amar'e or Melo. Chicago got Boozer (not the kind of target I want) after 2 .500 seasons in a row.

Stars want to go where they feel wanted and needed (where they feel they'll make a difference). On top of random preference which usually favors bigger markets and/or warmer cities. If Toronto has a young nucleus that has playoff experience, a guy who views himself as the missing piece may find it appealing...especially if Jonas is a stud C, and we have some decent pieces already in place around him.

I think KD coming to Toronto is highly unlikely, but not impossible, and definitely not dependent on us making a conference finals.

Post Thanks / Like

@Pele: quick note, you CANNOT go "into the luxury tax" to sign someone who is NOT already on your team. If you are over the cap, you can only trade for a highly paid players.

I haven't gone through every page here, but I disagree with the focus on getting aging stars (based on the first few pages). If anything, I'd package DD (or Ross), our 2014 pick, plus as many as 2 more of our future picks, to get Andrew Wiggins.

THAT I would do, and here is why: the core of DD/Ross (whichever isn't dealt) and JV is still improving, and obviously Wiggins would also be improving for many years. If we're already looking like a playoff team this year, then I'm willing to sacrifice some mediocre draft picks and one of our young players (DD, ideally, because I think Ross can be more efficient) for a future superstar.

A core of Wiggins, JV, and Ross, surrounded by quality vets like Amir and Lowry, would get me VERY excited about the future. And I really do think that core could compete.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the correction.

I agree about sticking with younger players, sprinkled with a couple good vets.

BTW, It's not perfect, but I'm liking Patterson's game.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way a top free agent like Durant will come to Toronto is if we make the conference finals at least once in the next 2 years. If we want to get these stars, we have to show them that we are READY to compete and not n the rebuild stage anymore.
    But we are in the rebuild stage.
    Unless you're talking about trading JV and Ross as well?

What free agents really want to see is a competent organization.
    This trade would not be competent - how good do you expect Pau to be in 2 years?

7. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie serbiantiger8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone interested in Andre Miller? A solid veteran presence, at a reasonable price (5 mill for this year and the next), and gives us a chance to trade Fields. He doesn't seem too happy in Denver, with the lack of playing time he's getting. and Denver's looking to shop him. A Fields + Buycks/Stone for Miller + 2nd round pick sounds pretty reasonable to me. And also, with this trade, Vasquez would likely see more time at the 2 spot because of his size, or maybe even possibly traded for picks if Masai chooses to do so.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Definite on the bold. I think this is where you see Ujiri's teams really built through the draft. Cheap contracts, high talent with leverage if they become a part of the core moving forward.

It would be nice to see Patterson and Vasquez either:

a) take their one year qualifying offer and become UFA for 2015-16,
    b) sign to a very cap friendly multi year contract,
    c) sign to a contract with team options beyond 2014-15, like Hansbrough, for example.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lebron James

11. Like Superjudge liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote serbiantiger8 wrote: View Post
    Anyone interested in Andre Miller? A solid veteran presence, at a reasonable price (5 mill for this year and the next), and gives us a chance to trade Fields. He doesn't seem too happy in Denver, with the lack of playing time he's getting. and Denver's looking to shop him. A Fields + Buycks/Stone for Miller + 2nd round pick sounds pretty reasonable to me. And also, with this trade, Vasquez would likely see more time at the 2 spot because of his size, or maybe even possibly traded for picks if Masai chooses to do so.
    Nah. Not at this stage of his career. I like the tight rotation we have. I don't want another vet thrown in there that Casey might want to play, that will muddle both wing and PG rotations. Miller is not very good anymore. His age and girth are finally catching up to him this season.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    how good do you expect Pau to be in 2 years?
    In 2 years !! I don't care about 2 years ... Pau is this year and will help us destroy Indiana and push around Heat by coming off the bench here and then his 19 million dollar contracts comes off the books at the end of this season.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2 years !! I don't care about 2 years ... Pau is this year and will help us destroy Indiana and push around Heat by coming off the bench here and then his 19 million dollar contracts comes off the books at the end of this season.
    And what do you believe LA would want for Pau today?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Definite on the bold. I think this is where you see Ujiri's teams really built through the draft. Cheap contracts, high talent with leverage if they become a part of the core moving forward.

It would be nice to see Patterson and Vasquez either:

a) take their one year qualifying offer and become UFA for 2015-16,
    b) sign to a very cap friendly multi year contract,
    c) sign to a contract with team options beyond 2014-15, like Hansbrough, for example.
    I agree.
    I really like what both guys bring.

I can't imagine a better back-up point guard scenario.
    Especially nice considering the stream of "controversies" this team has had.
    He loves being here, he embraces the role, and he can do some damage at times.

In respect to Patterson, I really like his potential.
    He's a fucking 3 and D big - how beautiful is that?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

These guys will not win you a NBA championship. You need stars to compete in this league.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    I agree.
    I really like what both guys bring.

I can't imagine a better back-up point guard scenario.
    Especially nice considering the stream of "controversies" this team has had.
    He loves being here, he embraces the role, and he can do some damage at times.

In respect to Patterson, I really like his potential.
    He's a fucking 3 and D big - how beautiful is that?
    Vary rare to find a 3 and D big ahah most bigs that can shoot it are usually soft and have no defense but 2 pat is an exception

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    Vary rare to find a 3 and D big ahah most bigs that can shoot it are usually soft and have no defense but 2 pat is an exception
    2Pat plays decent positional defense but he's pretty soft.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    2Pat plays decent positional defense but he's pretty soft.
    But better D then other stretch bigs such as Ryan Anderson, Bargnani etc

Post Thanks / Like

These guys will not win you a NBA championship. You need stars to compete in this league.
    Agreed, but Patterson on the end of the bench looks a hell of a lot better than Julyan Stone.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think where most people disagree is how good Pau Gasol is. You seem to think he would turn us into a championship contender. I just don't see that. I want to see patience, and smart use of our assets.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So who do you stock your team with until you can magically produce those stars? Younger players who are developing and improving their game, sprinkled with a couple of good vets.

Thread Information