Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: NBA Immovable Contracts...Honorable Mention - Landry Fields

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Rescinding was NEVER an option. You do that, and you can say goodbye to the chances of signing almost anyone else, for years to come.

    Landry Fields' career was ruined by an injury combined with the fact that he came to an organization which was "trying to win".

    After this contract, he needs to sign for a team where he will get time, if that's even possible at this point.
    not to rehash this old argument .. but it just doesnt make any sense. You mean to believe that if we offer a free agent the most money available that they will turn us down out of "principal" and take less money elsewhere? Not a chance in hell.

    Its one thing if it was illegal and we cant get out of the deal - but its entirely another not to do it for fear of it hurting our reputation with agents.

    Of course agents wouldnt like it .. but, you know what? Fuck them. If we offer the most money, we will still get the player we want, and frankly, we arent getting any guys at discounts anyways.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    not to rehash this old argument .. but it just doesnt make any sense. You mean to believe that if we offer a free agent the most money available that they will turn us down out of "principal" and take less money elsewhere? Not a chance in hell.

    Its one thing if it was illegal and we cant get out of the deal - but its entirely another not to do it for fear of it hurting our reputation with agents.

    Of course agents wouldnt like it .. but, you know what? Fuck them. If we offer the most money, we will still get the player we want, and frankly, we arent getting any guys at discounts anyways.
    You don't want to piss off the agents. Negotiations are already hard enough.

    And if we rescind an offer, then who's going to ever deal with us in good faith again? For example, the "agreement in principle" type of deals that occur all the time (i.e. the Jermaine O'neal draft day deal). Who would trust us again?
    Last edited by KHD; Sat Jan 4th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    not to rehash this old argument .. but it just doesnt make any sense. You mean to believe that if we offer a free agent the most money available that they will turn us down out of "principal" and take less money elsewhere? Not a chance in hell.

    Its one thing if it was illegal and we cant get out of the deal - but its entirely another not to do it for fear of it hurting our reputation with agents.

    Of course agents wouldnt like it .. but, you know what? Fuck them. If we offer the most money, we will still get the player we want, and frankly, we arent getting any guys at discounts anyways.
    Contract negotiations have to start before you can offer the most money. If you piss agents off and they don't want to work with you, you can't offer the most money.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rescinding of contract offers can and has occurred in the NBA...most recently with Iguodala's offer from the Kings this past summer. What would be the problem doing so in Fields case is that there was another party involved (the Knicks) as it was clearly a poison pill offer to deter them. Iam also unclear of the full legality in this circumstance...did Fields not accept the Raptors offer even though the contract itself may not have been signed? Under some interpretations this is then a binding contract and the org. could have been sued and even Stern could have stepped in. In Iggy's case I believe there was a perfectly acceptable out since he had yet to accept the offer and they pulled it before.

    The reality is that players can hold the team responsible for breach much easier than the other way around...witness the bush move Boozer pulled on Cleveland a few years ago after agreeing and changing his mind for a higher number as did our very own fav f/a signing Turk who ditched Portland after "agreeing". One of the things I appreciated about BC is that he kept his word I think. Maybe to a fault sometimes!

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Rescinding of contract offers can and has occurred in the NBA...most recently with Iguodala's offer from the Kings this past summer. What would be the problem doing so in Fields case is that there was another party involved (the Knicks) as it was clearly a poison pill offer to deter them. Iam also unclear of the full legality in this circumstance...did Fields not accept the Raptors offer even though the contract itself may not have been signed? Under some interpretations this is then a binding contract and the org. could have been sued and even Stern could have stepped in. In Iggy's case I believe there was a perfectly acceptable out since he had yet to accept the offer and they pulled it before.

    The reality is that players can hold the team responsible for breach much easier than the other way around...witness the bush move Boozer pulled on Cleveland a few years ago after agreeing and changing his mind for a higher number as did our very own fav f/a signing Turk who ditched Portland after "agreeing". One of the things I appreciated about BC is that he kept his word I think. Maybe to a fault sometimes!
    Not to take away from your point but I just wanted to clear this up as I've seen it multiple times from different posters since the fields signing. The poison pill was not offered as a strategy to deter Knicks from accepting(although it may have had that effect). Poison pill contracts are given out when a RFA doesn't have bird rights, which is in most cases with a 2nd round pick or undrafted(same situation with Asik). Because 2nd rounders are only under contract for 2 years but you need 3 to have bird rights(and go over the cap to resign FA), teams were losing their RFA because they couldn't match more than the MLE which defeats the purpose of having a RFA. That's why the Raptors owe Fields an equal amount over 3 years but if New York had accepted the offer they would've had the poison pill at the end of the contract.
    Point being teams don't give out poison pills to stop other teams from matching, they do it because they have to give the other team an oppurtunity to match their RFA. Whether or not Fields is worth 6 mi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •