Europe or China appears to be an issue.
    Maybe he can take a boat over.

2. Like Axel, NoPropsneeded, Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    What other options does White have?
    More daytime talk show appearances?

"I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

4. Like stooley, isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All kidding aside, conditioning is the issue with White. He hasn't seen much top level competition in the better part of 2 years and when he did, both in his previous D League stint and the Sixers' preseason camp, he was physically not ready. I wonder if he has been working out with the Iowa State team (NCAA top 20 team) as his former coach Hoiberg has been one of his biggest defenders.

If White can somehow prove that he is NBA worthy, perhaps the Kings can come up with a modified travel plan to deal with the well documented flying anxiety.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All kidding aside, conditioning is the issue with White. He hasn't seen much top level competition in the better part of 2 years and when he did, both in his previous D League stint and the Sixers' preseason camp, he was physically not ready. I wonder if he has been working out with the Iowa State team (NCAA top 20 team) as his former coach Hoiberg has been one of his biggest defenders.

If White can somehow prove that he is NBA worthy, perhaps the Kings can come up with a modified travel plan to deal with the well documented flying anxiety.
    If he's got game, and is willing to work for a minimum (or low) contract, pick him up for home games and games that are driveable. You could probably get a driver and a car for the cost of a plane flight to about a third to a half of the rest of the games. How many guys in the league are only playing 60 games or less a year because of injuries. He could let you rest some of your other players...all contingent on him having game. I haven't seen him play, so can't comment.

7. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

What other options does White have?
    If they travel by bus in D -league he may be ok. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    If he's got game, and is willing to work for a minimum (or low) contract, pick him up for home games and games that are driveable. You could probably get a driver and a car for the cost of a plane flight to about a third to a half of the rest of the games. How many guys in the league are only playing 60 games or less a year because of injuries. He could let you rest some of your other players...all contingent on him having game. I haven't seen him play, so can't comment.
    That is a very interesting idea. Not sure if it would work or not, but it's certainly better than most 15th man riding the bench.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    That is a very interesting idea. Not sure if it would work or not, but it's certainly better than most 15th man riding the bench.
    Could create a weird team dynamic though. Like, who is this guy?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest issue with White is that he doesn't seem to like basketball or sports. I could look past anxiety or that he terribly mishandled the Rockets situation, or current limitations as a player. But he hardly played any basketball or practiced during that whole time, according to himself, so what kind of basketball prospect is that?

He has the strength of an NBA PF, he has a good handle for a PF, he can run the floor pretty well. He can bring the ball in transition and pass, but he plays for highlights (tries to make difficult passes) and turns it over a lot. Overall that's not enough to be an NBA player, and he doesn't have anything else. He can't shoot, he's powerfull but smallish inside, so he has no legit ways to score in the NBA.

He's kind of a much less athletic, no defense, no post game, worse shooting Josh Smith.

Well, that's how he looked last year in the DLeague anyway. But since he doesn't play basketball I don't see how he could've improved. He needs to take thousands and thousands of shots and if one day he developed a shot he'd maybe be an NBA player. If he could shoot, he could then bait defenders and use his dribble and muscle his way inside. He'd be a dangerous transition player too. Still would be limited without defense, but a passable player, especially in a run and gun system.
    But learning to shoot takes work.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Fri Mar 7th, 2014 at 02:35 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

To be different:

1. Drummond is a beast: the way he sucks up rebounds is unbelievable.
    2. Davis is a clear all-star, and the second best.

Then there are a cluster of good players:
    3. Green
    4. Lilliard
    5. Henson
    6. MKG
    7. Ross
    8. Plumlee
    9. Lamb

Some disappointments who might work out:
    10. Barnes
    11. Beal
    12. Sullinger

And some busts:
    13. Waiters
    14. Wroten
    15. Nicholson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    My biggest issue with White is that he doesn't seem to like basketball or sports. I could look past anxiety or that he terribly mishandled the Rockets situation, or current limitations as a player. But he hardly played any basketball or practiced during that whole time, according to himself, so what kind of basketball prospect is that?

He has the strength of an NBA PF, he has a good handle for a PF, he can run the floor pretty well. He can bring the ball in transition and pass, but he plays for highlights (tries to make difficult passes) and turns it over a lot. Overall that's not enough to be an NBA player, and he doesn't have anything else. He can't shoot, he's powerfull but smallish inside, so he has no legit ways to score in the NBA.

He's kind of a much less athletic, no defense, no post game, worse shooting Josh Smith.

Well, that's how he looked last year in the DLeague anyway. But since he doesn't play basketball I don't see how he could've improved. He needs to take thousands and thousands of shots and if one day he developed a shot he'd maybe be an NBA player. If he could shoot, he could then bait defenders and use his dribble and muscle his way inside. He'd be a dangerous transition player too. Still would be limited without defense, but a passable player, especially in a run and gun system.
    But learning to shoot takes work.
    In other words, mental health issues aside, White was not a sure bet coming out of Iowa State and now he's effed up a fabulous opportunity for an NBA career.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kuh wrote: View Post
    To be different:

1. Drummond is a beast: the way he sucks up rebounds is unbelievable.
    2. Davis is a clear all-star, and the second best.

Then there are a cluster of good players:
    3. Green
    4. Lilliard
    Green at no.3, Operation "To be different" is a big success.

Drummond's rebunding is beastly indeed. The list of player seasons with 17%+ offensive rebounding, 27%+ offensive rebounding:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...rder_by=season

They didn't record those stats in the 60s, so I imagine maybe Wilt and Russell would belong there too. Either way, Drummond's rebounding is historically special.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Green at no.3, Operation "To be different" is a big success.

Drummond's rebunding is beastly indeed. The list of player seasons with 17%+ offensive rebounding, 27%+ offensive rebounding:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...rder_by=season

They didn't record those stats in the 60s, so I imagine maybe Wilt and Russell would belong there too. Either way, Drummond's rebounding is historically special.
    I wouldn't have guessed he ws so far behind Rodman. Shows what a beast Rodman was.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't have guessed he ws so far behind Rodman. Shows what a beast Rodman was.
    Yep. To be fair, current rebounders are at a bit of a disadvantage compared to handcheck era (pre-2005). Teams today take more 3s and that difference is going up every year. More 3s, more long rebounds, fewer easy rebounds for the big guys.

Still, Rodman is the master. But Drummond is a beast as well. Drummond will never put up the same defensive rebound numbers as Rodman I imagine, since Rodman could move like a guard and collect all the loose balls further away. But Drummond might go down as the best offensive rebounder ever next to Moses Malone, if he keeps this up. He dominates the offensive glass and he's still only 20.

Post Thanks / Like

Royce White is likely to play in his first NBA regular season game soon:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...cramento-kings

Looking at the stats, White has not been overwhelming in his recent D League games.

Thread Information