Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Casey not happy after loss to Heat

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    This has been a recurring thought for me - I hope I'm wrong on this.

    Matt and Jack kept talking about the "playoff atmosphere" when the Pacers were in Toronto. Which was true - the Raps have been playing "playoff basketball." Only there's a reason the really good teams don't play in high gear all season long - you burn yourself out, become more prone to injuries, etc. Really good teams play as well as they need to in the regular season to achieve their goals and be ready, fresh, and healthy for the playoffs. Is the Raps intensity level sustainable? Can they keep this level of effort up for the entire remainder of the season? Are they gonna burn out or have a let down once they start playing crappy teams after the next Indy game? I'm not sure.
    Or maybe the raps will realize they're a good team and once the level of opponents gets worse, they'll be able to turn down the intensity and "play as well as they need to to win"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    Casey's contract is expiring.

    He knows that he needs to prove that he can do more than develop a team if he wants to keep his job. He has to demonstrate the potential to coach a contender. Part of that is holding the team to a higher standard.
    i don't think casey is coaching with his job in mind at all. i think this is just another motivation tactic. when the team was struggling he gives positives because the last thing he needs is a losing team losing more confidence and now that the team has, recently, turned a corner he can't praise failure or the team will lose it's hunger.

    this is just basic team growth, i doubt there is any political spin. this team wanted this win bad and they lost it not because the heat played better but because they dropped 20% in free throws and missed a gimme at the end.
    For The Win

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    This has been a recurring thought for me - I hope I'm wrong on this.

    Matt and Jack kept talking about the "playoff atmosphere" when the Pacers were in Toronto. Which was true - the Raps have been playing "playoff basketball." Only there's a reason the really good teams don't play in high gear all season long - you burn yourself out, become more prone to injuries, etc. Really good teams play as well as they need to in the regular season to achieve their goals and be ready, fresh, and healthy for the playoffs. Is the Raps intensity level sustainable? Can they keep this level of effort up for the entire remainder of the season? Are they gonna burn out or have a let down once they start playing crappy teams after the next Indy game? I'm not sure.
    watch a indy/miami game. when the big teams meet each other they play to win all the time.
    For The Win

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Or maybe the raps will realize they're a good team and once the level of opponents gets worse, they'll be able to turn down the intensity and "play as well as they need to to win"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think this level of effort is sustainable for the rest of the season, but I also don't like the idea of this. Playing down to the level of worse opponents and losing games has been a big problem the last 3-4 years.

    If turning down the intensity is the plan, then the team needs to come up with a way to decrease the effort AND play well enough to win the game. The second part has rarely ever been there.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    I hope the ol' ball coach isn't happy after a loss. If he did express such a feeling, and I was the man he was reporting to, I'd have to take him out back and have a little talk with him.
    I disagree with the above. To win in the long run you need to be able to play at a high level, I'd much rather lose a game where the team played at a high level, then to win a game with poor execution. Losing the right way is certainly valuable and CAN be something that coaches/mgmt can be happy with.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  6. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  7. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I don't think this level of effort is sustainable for the rest of the season, but I also don't like the idea of this. Playing down to the level of worse opponents and losing games has been a big problem the last 3-4 years.

    If turning down the intensity is the plan, then the team needs to come up with a way to decrease the effort AND play well enough to win the game. The second part has rarely ever been there.
    Miami is one of the worst teams in the league in terms of playing down to he level of their opponents both in the regular season and the playoffs. Although I agree that you can't play at a crazy high level for weeks/months on end I am not really concerned about burn-out. The main reason being is that it isn't that hard to to get past it and back to playing well. Good teams usually only go through a bad stretch for 3-10 games, before getting back on track. The only worry is if that burn out happens right at the start of the playoffs, which I don't think is very unlikely. The raps will probably go through a few stretches of good and bad play before the season is over. Hopefully though they continue to be better at the peaks and not quite as bad at the lows.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  8. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I liked it. It was nice to see him being hard on his team, but also not single anyone out. The little things add up, especially in playoff type basketball. Can't afford a couple of missed layups/gimmies. Or shooting 20% below your normal team FT%. Or 3rd chance opportunities for the other team. The trick is getting that message through to the team without getting them to start overthinking everything they do.
    Agreed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •