Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BBALLBREAKDOWN Giving DeRozan a Lot of Love

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BBALLBREAKDOWN Giving DeRozan a Lot of Love

So are we just gonna assume this guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

Or maybe DeRozan is actually like... you know... pretty damn good?

2. Like lilmamba_, RPT23, blackjitsu, p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A thread with a little love, isn't this refreshing!! Thanks for posting this!

4. Like p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of orgasms with all that exotic player movement...not recognized or seen performed by a Raptor team...ever?...or am I behaving like a teenager?

Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I had a couple of orgasms with all that exotic player movement...not recognized or seen performed by a Raptor team...ever?...or am I behaving like a teenager?
    Totally agree! I thought we were watching the Spurs for a second!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

DeMar is getting lots of love all over the place, except here, a Raptors fan site. Go figure

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    DeMar is getting lots of love all over the place, except here, a Raptors fan site. Go figure
    Not everywhere. The ESPN top 10 SG article by Doolittle this morning didn't even have DD as an honorable mention :'(

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Not everywhere. The ESPN top 10 SG article by Doolittle this morning didn't even have DD as an honorable mention :'(
    Cue the: "Doolittle is an idiot because his opinion doesn't back my homerism."
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

10. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Cue the: "Doolittle is an idiot because his opinion doesn't back my homerism."
    Matt...Now Matt. You know what you did wrong here.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Raptors "fans" need to see him in an all-star game before they give him any love. The guy is paid as a 3rd option (9.5 million) and you still hear the hate every now and again. To be honest, most of these posters have toned it down a lot. Similar to the tank...the Derozan hate has pretty much disappeared err i mean run underground. It's easy to talk shit when the team is losing. You don't really see as much "he's one-dimensional" comments anymore.

Then these same posters get mad at being called haters. lol

21.1 ppg
    4.3 rpg
    3.4 apg (and rising)
    1.2 spg

ALL CAREER HIGHS

Take that haters!

13. Like blackjitsu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Masai Ujiri wrote: View Post

So are we just gonna assume this guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

Or maybe DeRozan is actually like... you know... pretty damn good?
    You know DD has been getting a lot of praise for his improvements in these parts, even from those that argue he has been inefficient. Most of the arguments around DeRozan seem to be generated when he is praised as a top 5 shooting guard or sure thing all star. He has had at least a dozen very good games since the start of the year.

At the same time you know it wouldn't be hard to go back to one or two games in the last 15 or so and pick out places where DD screwed up pretty big time.

I think it makes more sense to acknowledge positive recognition around the league for DD or any of the Raps players or for the team in general without waving a red flag in front of those fans that have pulled up the numbers that show he has mostly been at or below average for 90% of his career.

Everybody on this forum wants him to get to and stay at all star worthy levels in shooting, efficiency, assists, defense and rebounds for his position. You could make the argument that he has definitely shown signs of being able to hit that level. But to reach all star status, consistency is required. I think he is closer than ever and maybe this is the year.

That video also showed that he is more likely to get there with a good, cohesive, heads up group of teammates giving him room to play his game.

15. Like JawsGT, blackjitsu, Nilanka liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I don't have "Insider". Who does he have in the top 10, and what is the ranking based on? I can see that it's in part based on PRE-SEASON BASELINE FORECAST. What the hell is that, and how is it relevant to ranking a player NOW?

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey where did my other comment go? lol

I guess it got deleted....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post

lol, I had one deleted too. We need to be less up front, and become more sly and weaselly with insults, a la the guy who has both of us on ignore, but I can't play that game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post

lol, I had one deleted too. We need to be less up front, and become more sly and weaselly with insults, a la the guy who has both of us on ignore, but I can't play that game.
    A comment to all posters, not just the two of you...

Please remember forum rules about limiting posts to respectful discussion & debate about the topic at hand, as opposed to discussing fellow posters.

If you have an issue with another poster, please attempt to deal with them using PMs. If that doesn't work, please contact any of the admins/mods, who would be happy to facilitate conflict resolution.

Personal attacks against fellow posters will not be tolerated.

20. Like ezz_bee, Jamshid, c_bcm, Joey, .40 Cal Flakes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    A comment to all posters, not just the two of you...

Please remember forum rules about limiting posts to respectful discussion & debate about the topic at hand, as opposed to discussing fellow posters.

If you have an issue with another poster, please attempt to deal with them using PMs. If that doesn't work, please contact any of the admins/mods, who would be happy to facilitate conflict resolution.

Personal attacks against fellow posters will not be tolerated.
    Did I miss something trivial? I have p00ka on ignore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, my popularity is rising

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the big thing for Derozan is the consistency and, tther than the Chicago game, he hasn't had a real stinker in a long time. Even when he hasn't shot the ball particularly well, he's been on the glass and facilitating. Those are things he never did before (at least not consistently).

As an aside, one thing that gets lost in all the stats stuff is just how good Amir and JV are with their screens. Ross and Derozan get a lot of good action out of the pindowns cause defenders don't wanna (or can't) fight through the Amir/JV screens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    For me, the big thing for Derozan is the consistency and, tther than the Chicago game, he hasn't had a real stinker in a long time. Even when he hasn't shot the ball particularly well, he's been on the glass and facilitating. Those are things he never did before (at least not consistently).

As an aside, one thing that gets lost in all the stats stuff is just how good Amir and JV are with their screens. Ross and Derozan get a lot of good action out of the pindowns cause defenders don't wanna (or can't) fight through the Amir/JV screens.
    I wasn't able to participate on the game-day thread during the game last night, but one thing that stuck with me from DC's halftime interview, was his comment about screens. I remember even earlier this season, when JV would leave his screen too quickly, seemingly getting a foul called at least once per game. It makes me think that paying attention to that level of detail was part of the rationale for having a short leash with JV last season and earlier this year, in an attempt by DC and the coaching staff to hammer home the importance of doing the little things right. Personally, I still think DC could have made his point and got JV back into games rather than keeping him on the bench so much, but I don't argue with that approach in principle for young players.

25. Like Puffer liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I wasn't able to participate on the game-day thread during the game last night, but one thing that stuck with me from DC's halftime interview, was his comment about screens. I remember even earlier this season, when JV would leave his screen too quickly, seemingly getting a foul called at least once per game. It makes me think that paying attention to that level of detail was part of the rationale for having a short leash with JV last season and earlier this year, in an attempt by DC and the coaching staff to hammer home the importance of doing the little things right. Personally, I still think DC could have made his point and got JV back into games rather than keeping him on the bench so much, but I don't argue with that approach in principle for young players.
    Finally people are starting to acknowledge that it might have been both justifiable and SMART for Casey to put a short leash on JV (and Ross) last season. There are some guys that you don't want to keep in there and have repeating mistakes, in fact this is the case for a lot of young players, and they can often develop bad habits.

One example I can think of is Kyrie Irving. I remember reading that there was a game last year where the Cavs were playing horribly. Their coach yanked every starter as a result EXCEPT Irving. This is not the right message to be sending to a player. As a result for his lax treatment and long leash, Irving isn't even developing into a proper point guard. He's a piss-poor playmaker, doesn't elevate the play of his teammates and plays terrible defense (not only does he lack defensive fundamentals, he puts forth little to no effort on that end).

Sometimes if you make it clear to a young guy that he's not going to play if he continues to make the same mistakes, he decides to get his act together quickly because well... 99% of NBA players have one thing in common... they wanna play.

I actually kind of wish this was done with DeRozan. He'd probably be a better defensive player (he's solid now, but it would've happened more quickly), and have a little bit better shot selection as well.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Every player would look like a superstar if all we did was watch their highlights.
    your pal,
    ebrian

28. Like OldSkoolCool, mcHAPPY liked this post

Thread Information