Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: David Aldridge, NBA.com: Probably most balanced write up on Raps renaissance yet

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And Senators...but that won't bug anyone.

Senators fans are dicks. The only 2 bar fights I've been in proximity of were started by Sens fans. Douches.
    sens fans are the best fans in the world. other than cheer for the sens there is nothing to do in ottawa. do you know what we went through the year we only won 10 games. we had to live with daigle and yashin. there was some dark times for us sens fans. i would go so far as to say the worst fans are leafs fans or canadians fans. filling up our arena and cheering for the other team.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    sens fans are the best fans in the world. other than cheer for the sens there is nothing to do in ottawa. do you know what we went through the year we only won 10 games. we had to live with daigle and yashin. there was some dark times for us sens fans. i would go so far as to say the worst fans are leafs fans or canadians fans. filling up our arena and cheering for the other team.
    Cry me a river...

That gives you the right to throw a beer bottle in someone's face? Or for 3 of you to jump a lone guy from behind while he's sitting down?

Post Thanks / Like

Cry me a river...

That gives you the right to throw a beer bottle in someone's face? Or for 3 of you to jump a lone guy from behind while he's sitting down?
    lol. how many other sens fans there weren't doing those things. is every raptor fan the assholes that boo everyone? i saw a guy with a maple leafs shirt slap a lady once, god damn bunch of wife beaters
    For The Win

Post Thanks / Like

lol. how many other sens fans there weren't doing those things. is every raptor fan the assholes that boo everyone? i saw a guy with a maple leafs shirt slap a lady once, god damn bunch of wife beaters
    Well I've never seen a fight at a bar started by anyone else. I've been the lone Leafs fan in a Montreal bar screaming, pointing and laughing in Habs fans' faces, and we never had to resort to douchey, cowardly violence. You cheer. You can even be obnoxious. But there's no reason to be violent over a game, no matter how much you care about the team.

I don't expect all fans for every team will be civil. I'm sure Leafs and Habs fans have started fights and been violent. But in my experience it has only occured near, and was instigated by, Sens fans.

*The fact that it was a lady aside....slapping someone in the face, and trying to break their face with a bottle, or trying to gangbeat someone jumping him from behind....well it's hard for me to say they're on the same level from a pure violence perspective.

And here you go, blaming fans of other teams because your own fanbase isn't passionate enough, or is to cheap to actually fill your own arena and dominate the crowd.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 7th, 2014 at 12:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been the lone Leafs fan in a Montreal bar screaming, pointing and laughing in Habs fans' faces,

I don't expect all fans for every team will be civil. I'm sure Leafs and Habs fans have started fights and been violent. But in my experience it has only occured near, and was instigated by, Sens fans.

*The fact that it was a lady aside....slapping someone in the face, and trying to break their face with a bottle, or trying to gangbeat someone jumping him from behind....well it's hard for me to say they're on the same level from a pure violence perspective.

And here you go, blaming fans of other teams because your own fanbase isn't passionate enough, or is to cheap to actually fill your own arena and dominate the crowd.
    this is where you started lying, no leafs fan has had a chance to cheer in like 20 years. hahaha.

i have never seen a fight started over a hockey game so i assume the people you saw fight are morons anyway. but your sweeping generality arguments are as senseless as the violence you condemn.

those fans pour into our arena because ottawa is split into three fan bases because before the sens they either went toronto or montreal. those fans have seen their comrade in arms shrink year after year to sens fans.
    For The Win

6. Like p00ka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i also don't much agree with the article and aldridges' avoidance of saying what side of the fence he is on with the raptors. an opinion piece without any opinions?
    For The Win

Post Thanks / Like

this is where you started lying, no leafs fan has had a chance to cheer in like 20 years. hahaha.

i have never seen a fight started over a hockey game so i assume the people you saw fight are morons anyway. but your sweeping generality arguments are as senseless as the violence you condemn.

those fans pour into our arena because ottawa is split into three fan bases because before the sens they either went toronto or montreal. those fans have seen their comrade in arms shrink year after year to sens fans.
    sigh...whatever dude....it's just observations. Dismiss them if you want. There is some truth to "shitty" fans like waht I'm talking about, whether you accept it or not. Red Sox are a good example too. I had a buddy working Rogers Centre security for a couple of seasons a few years ago, and in-crowd incidents and fan ejections were at their highest for Red sox games because Red Sox fans would be bullheaded morons who didn't know how to act with any restraint/respect.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of forums where hockey can be discussed. This is not one them.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This quote from the article raises a good argument for not encouraging the coach to tank.

"As a coach, I understand Masai," Casey said. "We're all on the same page. We know the clamoring for all the other stuff. But as a coach, I have to coach to win, and that's all Masai has told me to do. They're learning how to win and are putting themselves in a position to win."

Even if, as a GM, you want to tank, it's impossible to evaluate your player's and their potential properly if you 'coach to lose'. Without pushing players to earn their minutes, or putting them in situations where they play hard with/against other good players, how do you ever know what you truly have?

There was a period this season where most people felt that Amir and Ross, while likeable, where expendable. But because they're part of a winning, team-first culture, they've had a chance to prove and increase their value to the team and the league. At best, they're critical building blocks for the future, at worse, they're more valuable trading assets.

TLDR, As a GM — even you want to tank, you want the team to play to win in order to accurately evaluate the assets you have.
    Last edited by bryan colangelo; Tue Jan 7th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.

11. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was also a little confused by the "The team us already made its decision" line, but I interpret it as the players have made up their mind not to tank. Doesn't mean Ujiri won't dismantle the whole thing (although I think that's unlikely at this point).
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we string together a few losses MU may still decide to tank. It's very possible that a loss in Indiana, then Detroit and Brooklyn. Indiana, obvious reasons for a possible loss, Detroit because their bigs negate our bigs which is our big advantage, and Brooklyn has been playing well as of late and those vets always seem to have our number. That could be a 4 game losing stretch (including the last game to Miami).

This stretch will be really interesting to see how Rap's bounce back after the Miami loss.

14. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    If we string together a few losses MU may still decide to tank. It's very possible that a loss in Indiana, then Detroit and Brooklyn. Indiana, obvious reasons for a possible loss, Detroit because their bigs negate our bigs which is our big advantage, and Brooklyn has been playing well as of late and those vets always seem to have our number. That could be a 4 game losing stretch (including the last game to Miami).

This stretch will be really interesting to see how Rap's bounce back after the Miami loss.

And in general.

A big part of their surge has been the defiance of feeling disrespected. Well, now they are respected. Is the desire still there? Is the hunger to prove doubters wrong still there when the doubters are disappearing?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't see the "hunger" diminishing so quickly so that is not a doubt for me. What I'm more interested in is if their win streak was a mirage or not..just momentum or catching teams at the right time. Now that they have some attention from the league there is more of a chance that they get opposing teams' best effort.

17. Like OldSkoolCool, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/powerra...=iref:nbahpt6e

Talk about recognition... 9th in the latest NBA.com power rankings

19. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And Senators...but that won't bug anyone.

Senators fans are dicks. The only 2 bar fights I've been in proximity of were started by Sens fans. Douches.
    These types of statements are ignorant. These forums complain all the time about the incorrect stigmas that go along with playing for the Raptors and Raptor fans, so why generalize another team's fans? As a Sens fan, I could turn around and say the same thing about Leafs fans but it's simply not true. Douches are douches. Fans of specific teams are not. Rant over.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

21. Like Miekenstien, OldSkoolCool, p00ka, AJ360 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    These types of statements are ignorant. These forums complain all the time about the incorrect stigmas that go along with playing for the Raptors and Raptor fans, so why generalize another team's fans? As a Sens fan, I could turn around and say the same thing about Leafs fans but it's simply not true. Douches are douches. Fans of specific teams are not. Rant over.
    Yea I can't believe that was actually an argument... It's one thing to hate another group for personal experiences (all the sens fans I know are cocky as fuck) but i know realistically that all fans in general are mostly the same, regardless of what team they cheer for

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And in general.

A big part of their surge has been the defiance of feeling disrespected. Well, now they are respected. Is the desire still there? Is the hunger to prove doubters wrong still there when the doubters are disappearing?
    That's exactly it. It'll be interesting to see how Indiana reacts tonight.

I have enjoyed the Raptors winning, but having said that, if this team is not for real, I hope that realization comes sooner rather than later. I would really hate to see the trade deadline come and go, for Masai to stand pat, and then to watch our team go something like 8-20 the rest of the way. You know? That, would suck.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    That's exactly it. It'll be interesting to see how Indiana reacts tonight.

I have enjoyed the Raptors winning, but having said that, if this team is not for real, I hope that realization comes sooner rather than later. I would really hate to see the trade deadline come and go, for Masai to stand pat, and then to watch our team go something like 8-20 the rest of the way. You know? That, would suck.
    That would hurt my feelings. But it would be a typical season for the Raptors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Right, but I also acknowledged that all fans can be douches regardless of teams. I was referencing my own experiences, where Sens fans have consistently (not just because of 2 bar fights) been pretty classless, annoying buttheads. I don't think that means that all Sens fans are actually dicks, but that enough of them are to taint their whole fanbase in my view.

It's not ignorant, though it is extending an argument to a hyperbolic extreme. It's like if crime rates are stupidly high in one neighborhood and I say "don't go there some guy'll stab you"....That's also clearly an untrue generalization...It also does reflect some element of reality and probability though. It's just a stereotype, where there is usually some shed of truth. For instance part of my background is Greek. When people say "Greeks are hairy bastards" I don't get touchy, because I've seen many of my uncles/cousins without shirts on...they produce more hair than wool-sheep. It's an unfair generalization, but it's not totally baseless.

And again, fanbases really do differ, even at minimum because local cultures differ from city to city. As I said in my other post, my buddy worked Jays' games as security. The amount of in-crowd fights and ejections would always skyrocket when Red Sox fans came to town to watch their team. Does it mean all Red Sox fans are douches? No, but it does suggest that there's a higher chance one of their fans will be compared to other fanbases. Or like in soccer, where Brit fans (like Man U fans) have a more hooliganish culture, and thus have been prevented from watching their teams on the road because local security didn't want to deal with ensuing brawls. Not all Man U fans are hooligans though, and it sucks royally for the ones that aren't to get that treatment, but so it goes when that negative presence is felt enough.

And to turn it to a Toronto perspective...I'm not sure how Leafs fans measure up violence-wise, but a lot of them are dumb as shit. Don't really understand the game or understand what it takes to win, and follow their team like blind idiots. It's amazing how often you hear things like every year is "their year" and they're always "just one piece away" from Leafs fans. Damn fools. Leafs fans practically invented cheering for treadmill teams. It's not the same in Montreal for example, where fans will always support the team no matter what, but especially for regular season games, attendance goes down if the team is bad or mediocre, and criticism just goes to a whole different level, because the fanbase wants to continue their history of excellence and not be a team with no real hope to win a Cup.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 7th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the same in Montreal for example, where fans will always support the team no matter what, but especially for regular season games, attendance goes down if the team is bad or mediocre, and criticism just goes to a whole different level, because the fanbase wants to continue their history of excellence and not be a team with no real hope to win a Cup.
    People complain about the booing in Raptor games. Habs fans rip their team to shreds when the Habs are playing poorly.

At the Bell Centre, excellence is expected...and more importantly, demanded.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information