Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Aldridge, NBA.com: Probably most balanced write up on Raps renaissance yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we string together a few losses MU may still decide to tank. It's very possible that a loss in Indiana, then Detroit and Brooklyn. Indiana, obvious reasons for a possible loss, Detroit because their bigs negate our bigs which is our big advantage, and Brooklyn has been playing well as of late and those vets always seem to have our number. That could be a 4 game losing stretch (including the last game to Miami).

This stretch will be really interesting to see how Rap's bounce back after the Miami loss.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      If we string together a few losses MU may still decide to tank. It's very possible that a loss in Indiana, then Detroit and Brooklyn. Indiana, obvious reasons for a possible loss, Detroit because their bigs negate our bigs which is our big advantage, and Brooklyn has been playing well as of late and those vets always seem to have our number. That could be a 4 game losing stretch (including the last game to Miami).

This stretch will be really interesting to see how Rap's bounce back after the Miami loss.

And in general.

A big part of their surge has been the defiance of feeling disrespected. Well, now they are respected. Is the desire still there? Is the hunger to prove doubters wrong still there when the doubters are disappearing?

Comment

Can't see the "hunger" diminishing so quickly so that is not a doubt for me. What I'm more interested in is if their win streak was a mirage or not..just momentum or catching teams at the right time. Now that they have some attention from the league there is more of a chance that they get opposing teams' best effort.

Comment

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/powerra...=iref:nbahpt6e

Talk about recognition... 9th in the latest NBA.com power rankings

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            And Senators...but that won't bug anyone.

Senators fans are dicks. The only 2 bar fights I've been in proximity of were started by Sens fans. Douches.
            These types of statements are ignorant. These forums complain all the time about the incorrect stigmas that go along with playing for the Raptors and Raptor fans, so why generalize another team's fans? As a Sens fan, I could turn around and say the same thing about Leafs fans but it's simply not true. Douches are douches. Fans of specific teams are not. Rant over.
            There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
              These types of statements are ignorant. These forums complain all the time about the incorrect stigmas that go along with playing for the Raptors and Raptor fans, so why generalize another team's fans? As a Sens fan, I could turn around and say the same thing about Leafs fans but it's simply not true. Douches are douches. Fans of specific teams are not. Rant over.
              Yea I can't believe that was actually an argument... It's one thing to hate another group for personal experiences (all the sens fans I know are cocky as fuck) but i know realistically that all fans in general are mostly the same, regardless of what team they cheer for

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                And in general.

A big part of their surge has been the defiance of feeling disrespected. Well, now they are respected. Is the desire still there? Is the hunger to prove doubters wrong still there when the doubters are disappearing?
                That's exactly it. It'll be interesting to see how Indiana reacts tonight.

I have enjoyed the Raptors winning, but having said that, if this team is not for real, I hope that realization comes sooner rather than later. I would really hate to see the trade deadline come and go, for Masai to stand pat, and then to watch our team go something like 8-20 the rest of the way. You know? That, would suck.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  That's exactly it. It'll be interesting to see how Indiana reacts tonight.

I have enjoyed the Raptors winning, but having said that, if this team is not for real, I hope that realization comes sooner rather than later. I would really hate to see the trade deadline come and go, for Masai to stand pat, and then to watch our team go something like 8-20 the rest of the way. You know? That, would suck.
                  That would hurt my feelings. But it would be a typical season for the Raptors

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
                    Right, but I also acknowledged that all fans can be douches regardless of teams. I was referencing my own experiences, where Sens fans have consistently (not just because of 2 bar fights) been pretty classless, annoying buttheads. I don't think that means that all Sens fans are actually dicks, but that enough of them are to taint their whole fanbase in my view.

It's not ignorant, though it is extending an argument to a hyperbolic extreme. It's like if crime rates are stupidly high in one neighborhood and I say "don't go there some guy'll stab you"....That's also clearly an untrue generalization...It also does reflect some element of reality and probability though. It's just a stereotype, where there is usually some shed of truth. For instance part of my background is Greek. When people say "Greeks are hairy bastards" I don't get touchy, because I've seen many of my uncles/cousins without shirts on...they produce more hair than wool-sheep. It's an unfair generalization, but it's not totally baseless.

And again, fanbases really do differ, even at minimum because local cultures differ from city to city. As I said in my other post, my buddy worked Jays' games as security. The amount of in-crowd fights and ejections would always skyrocket when Red Sox fans came to town to watch their team. Does it mean all Red Sox fans are douches? No, but it does suggest that there's a higher chance one of their fans will be compared to other fanbases. Or like in soccer, where Brit fans (like Man U fans) have a more hooliganish culture, and thus have been prevented from watching their teams on the road because local security didn't want to deal with ensuing brawls. Not all Man U fans are hooligans though, and it sucks royally for the ones that aren't to get that treatment, but so it goes when that negative presence is felt enough.

And to turn it to a Toronto perspective...I'm not sure how Leafs fans measure up violence-wise, but a lot of them are dumb as shit. Don't really understand the game or understand what it takes to win, and follow their team like blind idiots. It's amazing how often you hear things like every year is "their year" and they're always "just one piece away" from Leafs fans. Damn fools. Leafs fans practically invented cheering for treadmill teams. It's not the same in Montreal for example, where fans will always support the team no matter what, but especially for regular season games, attendance goes down if the team is bad or mediocre, and criticism just goes to a whole different level, because the fanbase wants to continue their history of excellence and not be a team with no real hope to win a Cup.
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 7, 2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      It's not the same in Montreal for example, where fans will always support the team no matter what, but especially for regular season games, attendance goes down if the team is bad or mediocre, and criticism just goes to a whole different level, because the fanbase wants to continue their history of excellence and not be a team with no real hope to win a Cup.
                      People complain about the booing in Raptor games. Habs fans rip their team to shreds when the Habs are playing poorly.

At the Bell Centre, excellence is expected...and more importantly, demanded.

Comment

All stereo types are ignorant, though most of us are guilty at times. In the case of sport for example, I don't care if one has run into a couple of hundred jackasses, that's even a miniscule number of the millions of fans of a team. We're all often heavily influenced by our limited experiences though. It's being human?

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                          All stereo types are ignorant, though most of us are guilty at times. In the case of sport for example, I don't care if one has run into a couple of hundred jackasses, that's even a miniscule number of the millions of fans of a team. We're all often heavily influenced by our limited experiences though. It's being human?
                          Pretty much. And it's still not the worst case of ignorance, which is when you don't even have any personal experiences to back it up.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Oh I dont know...I have always been of the opinion that innately teams (players) do not purposely "try to be bad" unless of course if they want to get the coach fired. I couldnt tell whether the writer was referring to the org. (team) or players (team) re the making up of mind. It is clear that the players are going all out. It is not entirely clear in my mind if MU has made up his mind other than to be absolutely vague about his intentions publicly. As Matt and others have said Lowry poses a big conundrum regarding loss of asset if he prices himself too high for MU and walks after the season or if MU trades him. It seems like bad asset management to me to have a degraded draft position (in an important draft) plus get nothing for what has now become a valuable player. Not a MU mo.
                            Absolutely, and I don't think he was implying this either - when he says 'already made its decision' he isn't being literal, but figurative, in the sense that it is their strong play relative to other teams in the league that has 'made' this 'decision'.

At least that's what I think he was saying. And again, I don't think this was an especially effective way to have put it.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                            X