Jonas's Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Thanks bobbybutler. I looked at touches but scrapped it because I couldn't parse the data by date. Your numbers definitely help, as the first game post trade was Dec 8th.

Touches get a little muddy, as Jonas is playing 4 more minutes a game, going from roughly 27 to 31 (which means on a per-minute basis his FGA have actually gone down). Also, it's my understanding that touches include rebounds, so a large percentage of Jonas's touches include his great offensive rebounding numbers.
    http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingT...&sortOrder=DES

Hansbrough 1.6 close touches per game in 27 games, 2.1 offensive rebounds in 27 games.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Is it my imagination or wasn't Jonas shooting the ball more when he first started playing for the Raptors? I seem to remember him having a nice touch from 10-12 feet out, and hitting a lot of his attempts.
      I'm not sure about 'a lot', but I agree that he did seem more inclined to shoot it last year.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        I'm not sure about 'a lot', but I agree that he did seem more inclined to shoot it last year.
        He definitely shot way more last year, it seems like this year you get a shot every 3 games whereas last year he shot a couple times a game.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

bobbybutler wrote: View Post
          http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingT...&sortOrder=DES

Hansbrough 1.6 close touches per game in 27 games, 2.1 offensive rebounds in 27 games.
          Hm, weird. I read a couple places that said otherwise. So Val is getting a reasonable amount of touches, but probably not enough shots.

If he shot instead of pump faking that'd probably bump him up nicely but that will only be marginal help to his development. His footwork and moves are what need work.

Comment

Hm, weird. I read a couple places that said otherwise. So Val is getting a reasonable amount of touches, but probably not enough shots.

If he shot instead of pump faking that'd probably bump him up nicely but that will only be marginal help to his development. His footwork and moves are what need work.
            Might have easier moves if he started hitting a few shots form 12-15 feet. I liked how comfortable Hibbert was shooting from outside. I think he hit two easy ones, maybe three.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              Might have easier moves if he started hitting a few shots form 12-15 feet. I liked how comfortable Hibbert was shooting from outside. I think he hit two easy ones, maybe three.
              I've thought at various times that JV could be deadly if he were to develop a reliable baseline jumper, similar to Rasho or Luc Longley. He's proven to be decent from the foul line and top corners of the key, so those types of short/mid range shots should definitely be added to his offensive arsenal. Doing so would also make his pump fake much more effective.

Comment

I don't think there is a direct causation between number of touches and improvement in one's offensive skills. The things that JV needs to work on: establishing and holding positiion, timing in the post, trusting his moves (why won't he shoot the baseline turnaround?), etc.; just not clear to me that an extra couple of touches a night are going to improve his game.

Now, should he be getting a few more opportunities? Yeah, cause he scores. Efficiently. It also opens the court up for others. I would say it's less about development and more about winning.

Speaking of correlation/causation stuff, it must be a mere coincidence that since Ross and JV started playing more the Raps started winning....

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  He definitely shot way more last year, it seems like this year you get a shot every 3 games whereas last year he shot a couple times a game.
                  Oh man I don't know, I need to see a stat for that, but that isn't how I remember it. I'd guess something like one long-ish jumper every two or three games for the whole season.
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

but is a shot lower than Drummond, who has a less developed offensive game,
                    Has this just become one of those things where if people keep saying something, it becomes true?

I read this a lot on here, yet I have yet to see JV's advanced "offensive game".

He's improving, but honestly, he isn't making Drummond look uncoordinated.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                      Has this just become one of those things where if people keep saying something, it becomes true?

I read this a lot on here, yet I have yet to see JV's advanced "offensive game".

At the simplest level, there's the difference in free throw shooting.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Just tossing this into the subject: Could this be a chicken or egg situation? Is JV efficient because he doesn't get the ball just dumped into him all the time? He get the ball in some great scoring opps. Or does he need to get the ball more because he is that efficient all the time?

Comment

BrydenB wrote: View Post
                          Just tossing this into the subject: Could this be a chicken or egg situation? Is JV efficient because he doesn't get the ball just dumped into him all the time? He get the ball in some great scoring opps. Or does he need to get the ball more because he is that efficient all the time?
                          He can be efficient and can be inefficient it depends on his matchups, he's young and fickle right now. If you have watched enough of Raptors games you should know that at least in half of his situations he has to create for himself, so I don't think it can be "chicken or egg situation".
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post

Why don't you try putting some effort into your posts instead of just trying to be edgy? Maybe back up your assertions with numbers or facts?

I never said Drummond's uncoordinated. In fact he's incredibly agile and athletic. But take a look at both guys shot charts and types from 2012-13 on bbref.com (they don't have 2013-14 up yet). Jonas has a nice mix of dunks, hooks, jumpers and layups from various parts of the floor. Drummond is all dunks and layups at the rim.

According to 82games.com, 37% of Drummond's shots this year are dunks and tips, while only 17% of Val's are, which suggests this trend has continued.

No one is saying JV has an "advanced offensive game" but it is certainly more advanced than Drummond.

Comment

No one is saying JV has an "advanced offensive game" but it is certainly more advanced than Drummond.
                              That is a bit of an understatement.

Comment

Highest percentage shot in ball. The dunk.

Hows that for effort. Check the stats.

Anyhow, JV was good tonight from what i saw in the highlites.

Oh, and Scraps....

Simmer down man, I was only just making a point, sometimes we get a wee bit carried away when talking about JV..he's good...but he' snot that good.

Yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X