Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NBA Players Perception of Toronto & Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Pfft Ummmmm they signed Jose!!

Lol But seriously, Monte was a great pickup for them actually ... though as a "Star", its debatable.

I think they've also positioned themselves to be players for Melo and the likes.
    They certainly have .They have positioned themselves for a big FA signing every summer since "The Decision" and come away empty handed each time. No idea what's going on there, but the Championship Rule certainly doesn't apply to them.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    That's because Bosh was more interested "branding" than being a legitimate elite talent.
    What is he hoping to sell with the Bosh name as a second/third fiddler in South Beach? The only item I have seen him advertise nationally is "Milk". Did he sell more milk? Toothpaste maybe? Cars, computers? Someone has been selling pro athletes this branding concept and many too full of themselves have lapped it up. The reality is only a very tiny minority of the elite and recognizable can claim they truly can be considered a "brand" and can move the needle. Even Kanye West tries mightily but plays second to his wife the very "valuable" Kim Kardashian....and a pro athlete she is not...as a matter of fact I dont really know what she is. So much for branding. Bosh would have had better luck if he grew a large booty and wore very high heels.

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    how can you forgive a quitter? the one thing he has to do is play to the best of his abilities while representing us and he didn't. all this "at least carter says nice things about us" is shit. at least bosh didn't quit on us. jesus, sticks and stones guys. wa wa wa. guy is a diva, who cares at least he was a hard working diva. same as davis. of the three only one guy was not a professional during his entire tenure wearing the dino. davis and bosh are just stupid people, why hate on the mentally challenged while praising someone taking advantage of you?

again i hate all 3 and won't ever not but this forgive carter for not saying bad things is silly.
    Thats both unstable and lame.

It was a shitty situation, the franchise was terrible. so he gave up, he also grew up, and last i checked, that was in 2004, as in A FUCKING DECADE AGO.

get over it. The man never did anything to you personally, and by most accounts he is a very nice guy. He wasn't wired to be the Superstar people wanted him to be. Its that simple.

"I will never forgive"
    "I hate"

These are ridiculous and childish sentiments. Its just sports, and he's a real person.

4. Like TRex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    VC was a douche coward. He actually failed purposely to get his way out of TO. I have no problems with someone not liking his workplace and arranging for a "transfer" like what Omer Asik is doing in Houston....he'd rather not play than play less than 100% and let down the players on the team. As with VC his beef is with management.

Carter actually took the floor, sulked, played badly and let down his teammates. That was his way to let management know to get him out of town quick. They did because the rest of the league got the idea they could get VC for pennies on the dollar...and the Nets did thereby screwing this franchise. I am not absolving the ownership and management here of course....they should have done at the very least what Morey is doing in Houston....waiting it out on his terms to get the best deal possible for the team and by extension the fans.

Dont know if VC is still the same but what he did (how, mostly) is a severe character flaw in a team sport or activity...on the court or a foxhole. One just does not bail on one's mates/comrades.
    Honestly, were you part of the process?

Do you know how it all played out, and why there was so much tension?

Carter didnt "lose on purpose". he got hurt, and when he could he sulked and let the stress, lingering injuries and over bad mindset affect his performance. Would we all have like dhim to have been a stronger, mentally tough guy, CLEARLY. But the guy was a young, spoiled kid who made a few mistake. There is no way in hell its ok to "hate" a guy for something like that.

I don't get it, people need to get some perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post

It was a shitty situation, the franchise was terrible. so he gave up, he also grew up, and last i checked, that was in 2004, as in A FUCKING DECADE AGO.

get over it. The man never did anything to you personally, and by most accounts he is a very nice guy. He wasn't wired to be the Superstar people wanted him to be. Its that simple.

"I will never forgive"
    "I hate"

These are ridiculous and childish sentiments. Its just sports, and he's a real person.
    Carter was young. I also made stupid choices in my 20's. I actually enjoy watching him in Dallas now, and am admittedly surprised he's embraced his role there. He's one of the best 6th men in the league, imho, even though he's not going to put up the stats to win 6th man of the year.

He does everything well now and he's committed to the team. If he had been in this headspace when he was younger, he would have been an even better basketball player.

He does still make "I've been shot!" facial expressions after the occasional foul.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate those faces.

Listen man, I was ALL OVER HIM when he was still here...hated hte guys lame complaints, soccer type reaction to contact....all of it. But a decade.... hell after 2 years I was fine. I just think people take it too seriously, especially when he seems like a pretty cool guy. He wasn't "Superstar" wired.

He never was gonna be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post

He does everything well now and he's committed to the team. If he had been in this headspace when he was younger, he would have been an even better basketball player.
    Great comment.

Reminds us of a famous quote:

"Youth is wasted on the young"

GB Shaw.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Vince on the other hand, you know the GREATEST Raptor of all time, the guy that puts TO on the NBA map and the same guy that every Raptors fans likes too boo, continously says nothing but great things about Toronto and Canada since he left. But hey let's continue to boo/hate on the guy because of that one mistake.
    Swagger:

Opposite of swagger:
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

10. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, were you part of the process?

Do you know how it all played out, and why there was so much tension?

Carter didnt "lose on purpose". he got hurt, and when he could he sulked and let the stress, lingering injuries and over bad mindset affect his performance. Would we all have like dhim to have been a stronger, mentally tough guy, CLEARLY. But the guy was a young, spoiled kid who made a few mistake. There is no way in hell its ok to "hate" a guy for something like that.

I don't get it, people need to get some perspective.
    Well maybe your "take" of the process is as informed as mine. Neither in the room....or were you? I called him a "douche" for how he conducted himself then. I conceded he may have changed now (normally happens with people as they grow older). What perspective were you looking for Craig...I made some comments on how he affected negatively the state of the franchise which probably impacted on years after with the shitty return we got for arguably one of the top 3-4 players in the league then.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate bosh. What an idiot.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I will never forgive"
    "I hate"

he stole from me. last year the nba fined the spurs actual money for resting it's stars. a decade ago i paid to see vince carter play.
    nothing childish there.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote aaron.in.toronto wrote: View Post
    wow i cant believe people are good with vince and what he did... that was the weakest, bitch move that any player has ever made since i have been following the nba.

the way he left and the way he acted while playing for us did so much more damage then anything bosh did...i mean, he literally refused to dunk and played poorly on purpose!

i think that you are underestimating how much vince's actions actually created the "perceptions" ...people watching were like, if he wants to walk away from everything he had here then it must be no good up in canada...

he was a franchise superstar with a team that was unquestionably under his thumb, he had major fame, and trips to the playoffs and he forced his way out in the most embarrassing situation anybody had ever seen to go to new jersey of all places ,and promptly went to the finals...reinforcing that leaving was a sure fire way to win and move onwards and upwards on a career arc...use the raps as springboard to show teams stateside that you can be a good piece and then force our hand to send you where you want to go while we take back garbage players for stars and get fleeced...it made us look weak and incompetent...

that was the beginning and the end of players thinking it was cool (no pun intended) to play in canada and created the blue print for bosh's antics and it makes him my most hated raptor...i guess time heals all wounds for some people but i wont forget about wince
    I think the fact that Vince has been gone longer than Bosh makes it easier to forgive him. Losing both of them stung. If only MU had been GM at those two critical times in our franchise history things would have been so much different.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate those faces.

Listen man, I was ALL OVER HIM when he was still here...hated hte guys lame complaints, soccer type reaction to contact....all of it. But a decade.... hell after 2 years I was fine. I just think people take it too seriously, especially when he seems like a pretty cool guy. He wasn't "Superstar" wired.

He never was gonna be.
    Being "Superstar" wired has nothing to do with outright quitting on your team. These are two 100% separate things. I hate him for the latter; the former I could care less about.

And when I say "hate", it isn't an obsessive or constant thing. It's a thing where anytime I see him play, or hear someone talk about him, I just think "f*** that guy", reflexively. And then I forget about him again. For me, that's the legacy he made for himself.

16. Like CalgaryRapsFan, Miekenstien liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2KJ wrote: View Post
    Exactly why he's my most hated Raptor ever!!!! At least VC made the Raptors relevant, and was the leader of all-star votes in the 2000s playing for the Raptors (Bosh was saying that he wasn't getting media attention when he was here), and he never said anything bad about the city or the country. Same w/ TMac, there's even a video where he said that he just wanted to come play for his home town team but he never said anything bad about the city.

Rupaul already has a track record for hating Toronto the place itself, saying it was different, it's not home, cable TV sucks, can't get NBA league pass even if he's earning $10+M/year. He quit on the team while they were in the middle of a playoff chase. He cowardly joins forces w/ Lebron and Wade, wins 2 championships, declares that he's a first ballot HOF, etc.

I don't understand why Raptor fans don't give him the hate that he rightfully deserves. Although, I'd think that it's because he's irrelevant anyways.
    I have always hated bosh more then VC. Bosh was carried to 2 NBA championship's by lebron and wade! He's also the same person to score 0pts in game 7 of the NBA finals and He also quit on us when I'm sure he could have played through the injury in his last year as a raptor. He just couldn't get it done here in Toronto but by him bashing us to the U.S media is stupid ! Did he forget that we were the ones who drafted him? Who gave him his 1st NBA paycheck? I hate Chris bosh more then I hate any other player by far !!!!!

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    And when I say "hate", it isn't an obsessive or constant thing. It's a thing where anytime I see him play, or hear someone talk about him, I just think "f*** that guy", reflexively. And then I forget about him again. For me, that's the legacy he made for himself.
    this is my "hate" exactly. not sith lord stuff here. but as far as the sports world goes, i am not indifferent to him. same as we all still remember 72' and "love" that series win.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    this is my "hate" exactly. not sith lord stuff here. but as far as the sports world goes, i am not indifferent to him. same as we all still remember 72' and "love" that series win.
    Exactly. Imagine being Paul Henderson. Everywhere you go in Canada, everybody loves you. He probably hasn't paid for a meal in 42 years.

Thread Information