Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: There are currently 430 users browsing this forum. (32 members and 398 guests)

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow. Really? The only posts I saw from Matt that may have been considered "objectionable" were in reply to "objectionable" ones directed at him.

    I shall miss his posts...they were almost always informative and researched. Hope everyone can calm down and end the spat whatever it is.

  2. Like FoxMachine liked this post
  3. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    747
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Wow. Really? The only posts I saw from Matt that may have been considered "objectionable" were in reply to "objectionable" ones directed at him.

    I shall miss his posts...they were almost always informative and researched. Hope everyone can calm down and end the spat whatever it is.
    Yeah, I must have missed the day(s) of drama. I saw a bit of back and forth, but for a while there Matt reigned it in quite a bit in response.

    Anyway, maybe this was discussed but was a short-term suspension ever proposed as opposed to an outright ban? Not only for Matt - if a few members get overheated, a 1-4 week suspension would give them plenty of opportunity to cool off and get some perspective before unloading an eternal ban.

    But thanks for the info mods - appreciate the work you do here and the effort you evidently invested in trying to resolve this situation.

  4. #23
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I must have missed the day(s) of drama. I saw a bit of back and forth, but for a while there Matt reigned it in quite a bit in response.

    Anyway, maybe this was discussed but was a short-term suspension ever proposed as opposed to an outright ban? Not only for Matt - if a few members get overheated, a 1-4 week suspension would give them plenty of opportunity to cool off and get some perspective before unloading an eternal ban.

    But thanks for the info mods - appreciate the work you do here and the effort you evidently invested in trying to resolve this situation.
    Without getting into too much detail about any one poster, in various cases steps were taken and/or offered. The end result is what it is, as Doc expressed.

    I suggest sending Doc a PM if you (anybody) have any further questions.


    Cheers,
    CRF

  5. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Those numbers are mild in comparison to afternoons and evenings here. Right now we're averaging about 175 to 200 registered members that login daily with a range of 85 to 110 active at any moment during peaks periods throughout each day. Guests, are normally anywhere between 1000 to 2000 per day. Those numbers aren't entirely accurate though because alot of those guests are bots that cycle through their rotation of websites collecting interweb information. That being said, a solid number of those guests are just that. Alot of fans are just lurkers, while others are loyal to other Raptors message boards and just peruse other fan sites for shits and giggles.

    At the end of the day we've come along way from when this forum started up a couple years back, but overall I think the fans like what they see here. Some have begun to compare us to the RealGM Raptors board and as some might take that as an insult, I take it as a compliment. They still are the benchmark in my opinion to message boards when it comes to Raptors fan forums.
    Traffic here went up exponentially when I came here and you know it.

    You get the best, you get the hits.... thats the game baby.

  6. Like Red and White, S.R., Joey liked this post
  7. #25
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    "Treat this place like you're at bar with your buddies and shooting the shit. You're not always gonna agree with each other, but you have one common goal - a passion for the Raptors. Each person has an idea of how to better them. No one is right, yet no one is wrong, but at the end of the day, you don't take anything to heart and you move forward."
    Few things....

    1. Mango is right. One thing I have grown to enjoy about this forum, morse so than the last I was on, was that guys here DO get it. They do treat it like its 5-10 buddies at a bar, or in a RecRoom drinking beer, watching hoops, and talking shit. Its great. Because when you can say to a guy "thats just fucking awful, youre insane" and have him tell you to go to hell, but have both understand it is what it is, shit talk for fun.....then thats when you get an authentic experience.

    Anyone watch "The League"? THAT is what it should be like.

    Anyhow. I should be a high level moderator.

    I am quite awesome.

  8. #26
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Wow. Really? The only posts I saw from Matt that may have been considered "objectionable" were in reply to "objectionable" ones directed at him.

    I shall miss his posts...they were almost always informative and researched. Hope everyone can calm down and end the spat whatever it is.
    Ya, I agree, that dude was getting hammered. But, consider this, forums can become addictive and thought consuming. Sometimes they run their course.... he wasn't innocent, but, the return negativity, stuff I would assume 2 years ago he would have handled fine.... he couldnt.

    It happens. Dude just needs time away from all this shit.

  9. #27
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Few things....

    1. Mango is right. One thing I have grown to enjoy about this forum, morse so than the last I was on, was that guys here DO get it. They do treat it like its 5-10 buddies at a bar, or in a RecRoom drinking beer, watching hoops, and talking shit. Its great. Because when you can say to a guy "thats just fucking awful, youre insane" and have him tell you to go to hell, but have both understand it is what it is, shit talk for fun.....then thats when you get an authentic experience.

    Anyone watch "The League"? THAT is what it should be like.

    Anyhow. I should be a high level moderator.

    I am quite awesome.
    Well at least you're modest.

  10. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is a great forum. I've been a Raptors fan for years (mid 90s)and finally knew I needed a place to talk about them. I saw that this site generated way less traffic than "realgm" but within a couple days I was hooked and never considered using any others. I would much rather talk actual talk with a few names you start to recognize then watch 5,000 users spam threads with idiotic remarks. Derozan misses a shot? "trade him" he makes one? "all star!" Can't stand it.
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

  11. #29
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great to see the posts coming in from folks who don't post that often. It is amazing how much the number of members/guests change depending on time of day.

    I check in far too often, but the quality of the articles and the conversations tends to be pretty high. I really missed the old AltRaps usenet group until I got hooked up here.

    Fortunately there is a growing volume of threads and posts. It makes the decision to simply blow past those conversations that are just another iteration in a constantly repeating endless cycle easy. So I wind up saving time and getting an altogether better experience. There are some posters I always read, and some I simply sample periodically to see if their conversations have changed, but it's all good.

    Thanks to the members and moderators for making this a go-to internet destination, pretty much every day.

  12. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have been lurking on here for years, discovered through a Raptors HQ link back in the day. Back then RaptorsHQ was my main site and I'd come here occasionally, now I exclusively come here for raptorstalk. I actually am active on other boards(non bball related) but I remember having difficulty registering before on here and so just gave up. This thread made me try again and it was similarly frustrating(20 minutes to figure out registration is brutal!). MY problem came with the security question: Which player did we acquire from Memphis this season? I first glazed over the Memphis part and thought of our sacremento trade and threw in salmons which didn't work. Next I read it right and just assumed the question hasn't been updated in awhile and so I threw in rudygay which failed. That time it recognized my e-mail that I tried when I first discovered RR and said I could set a new password but again it asked me the rudy gay question and so I tried typing: gay. That didn't work so I decided to try using my little used yahoo account(used only for fantasy hockey) and then finally tried typing:rudy gay and finally got this thing to work.

    I share this long boring story wondering if others have had similar issues? For me this is the first forum I have been on that had a space in their security question which is what threw me off.

    haha, as an aside, before going for my yahoo account info I decided just to bail out and click the "contact us" link but the same security question was there too!!

    Anyways, glad to have finally figured it all out and I am looking forward to being on this site even more than previously!!

  13. #31
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CGarbs wrote: View Post
    ...Anyways, glad to have finally figured it all out and I am looking forward to being on this site even more than previously!!
    Anyone with "Garbs" in their username is automatically a welcome member. Glad you persisted.

  14. #32
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Winning fixes everything, even on message boards!
    The thing is that it's not a particular person or group, it was the entire RR group which just seemed extremely negative. I even stopped reading RR for a while because an increasing number of posts were either sarcastic or pessimistic. You are correct though the current Raptors streak actually got me back into RR and I hope we continue to win.

  15. #33
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't log on for one day and Matty D gets banned? damn thats rough. Will someone fill me in on what happened?

  16. #34
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I don't log on for one day and Matty D gets banned? damn thats rough. Will someone fill me in on what happened?
    Read Doc's post in this thread and send him a follow-up PM.

  17. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I don't log on for one day and Matty D gets banned? damn thats rough. Will someone fill me in on what happened?
    Check Naismith's post on 1st page of this thread

  18. #36
    Super Moderator .40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    T Dot
    Posts
    1,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad you figured it out CGarbs. Welcome to the Republic!

  19. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,894
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I don't log on for one day and Matty D gets banned? damn thats rough. Will someone fill me in on what happened?
    Check 1st page
    Dr.James Naismith
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

    "I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game."

  20. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Those numbers are mild in comparison to afternoons and evenings here. Right now we're averaging about 175 to 200 registered members that login daily with a range of 85 to 110 active at any moment during peaks periods throughout each day. Guests, are normally anywhere between 1000 to 2000 per day. Those numbers aren't entirely accurate though because alot of those guests are bots that cycle through their rotation of websites collecting interweb information. That being said, a solid number of those guests are just that. Alot of fans are just lurkers, while others are loyal to other Raptors message boards and just peruse other fan sites for shits and giggles.

    At the end of the day we've come along way from when this forum started up a couple years back, but overall I think the fans like what they see here. Some have begun to compare us to the RealGM Raptors board and as some might take that as an insult, I take it as a compliment. They still are the benchmark in my opinion to message boards when it comes to Raptors fan forums.
    I'm curious as to whether you are a considered a "guest" if you are not "logged in"?..because I sometimes just browse and only log in if I'm going to make a post.

    Also, if you notice there are a lot of people who make the occasional post who aren't very well versed in english. So, they may have a tough time registering or whatever..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  21. #39
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CGarbs wrote: View Post
    I have been lurking on here for years, discovered through a Raptors HQ link back in the day. Back then RaptorsHQ was my main site and I'd come here occasionally, now I exclusively come here for raptorstalk. I actually am active on other boards(non bball related) but I remember having difficulty registering before on here and so just gave up. This thread made me try again and it was similarly frustrating(20 minutes to figure out registration is brutal!). MY problem came with the security question: Which player did we acquire from Memphis this season? I first glazed over the Memphis part and thought of our sacremento trade and threw in salmons which didn't work. Next I read it right and just assumed the question hasn't been updated in awhile and so I threw in rudygay which failed. That time it recognized my e-mail that I tried when I first discovered RR and said I could set a new password but again it asked me the rudy gay question and so I tried typing: gay. That didn't work so I decided to try using my little used yahoo account(used only for fantasy hockey) and then finally tried typing:rudy gay and finally got this thing to work.
    Terribly sorry you had issues, but thanks for bringing it up. I'll go update it now. Unfortunately for security reasons I have to put a registration question in place to prevent us from getting bombarded with spam bots.

    Anyhow, glad you finally made it onboard. Welcome dude.

  22. #40
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kinda ironic that some can't get along with the team playing as well as I can remember. We gotta cool our jets (I cooled mine with a good ol fashion "Pre-OVO" Degrassi Drake avatar). Lots of passionate people around here. Gonna miss Matt. Hopefully he makes his way back someday.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •