Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are currently 430 users browsing this forum. (32 members and 398 guests)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, this is the last that it will be spoken of. Any other conservation regarding Matt can be done elsewhere. Please and thank you.

He didn't like how things had transpired over the last month or so with particular members here at Raptors Republic. Have we as staff been a little too lackadaisical with enforcing the rules here? Absolutely which I took responsibility for. On the flipside, I don't want to run a forum that rules with an iron fist either. There has to be a little give both ways in my opinion.

He took these issues personal. I asked him to ignore them, he chose not too. The staff have tried to resolve these concerns which gave Matt no faith because he felt nothing had happened. All the guilty parties had been spoken too, and most took these warnings in stride. It still wasn't for enough Matt. Too many double standards. He was fed-up with our forums as a whole. This was directed to me which I can accept. He said and I quote "An environment has been created on the forums where It is acceptable for people to ridicule, mock, and insult me."

We all know Matt is a highly regarded member here at RR, but he chose not to let it go. As I mentioned to him, this a message board. You'll see the same shit here that you'll see on any forum or board anywhere on the internet. These issues and disagreements aren't just an isolated issue here at Raptors Republic. If our site as shit the bed as he had implied so, then sobeit. Its unfortunate that he and perhaps others here feel the same. It's not like I wake up everyday and think "Man, I wanna see what I can do to produce one of the shittiest Raptors fan forums on the internet today. Can't wait." Unfortunately with popularity and more activity comes more people and more problems.

I even suggested to him to explore other boards if things became too frustrating for him. Or just taking a step back or break from here in which he said that it would likely be too hard because of his "obsessive" behavior. Not sure what else we could of done. A handful of the staff tried to resolve this and he didn't like what he heard obviously.

So I told him I wasn't not going to ban him because he hadn't done anything wrong. It was after that when it went from bad to worse. He took it upon himself with actions that are not acceptable here and voiced his opinion of me and our site as a whole. He told us that he "doesn't give a crap" (which is obviously a lie) and that he doesn't intend on coming back as a member here at Raptors Republic.

Matt was an outstanding member (and moderator at one point) and I wish the best. I sincerely do. At the end of the day (and I'm going to steal this quote from Mangokid): "Treat this place like you're at bar with your buddies and shooting the shit. You're not always gonna agree with each other, but you have one common goal - a passion for the Raptors. Each person has an idea of how to better them. No one is right, yet no one is wrong, but at the end of the day, you don't take anything to heart and you move forward."

Anyhow, if any of you feel like we've been unfair or way off base, please PM us or me directly. This will not be discussed again moving forward. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Comment

Speaking as a new-ish member who rarely posts: I read as a guest during the day (and because I think I'm a couple hours behind you guys being in Alberta, your after work posts are usually my middle of the day readings). However, I tend to just read at night even when I'm logged in. There are a couple members on here that I don't want to have interaction with so its just easier that way. I also have several friends in Manitoba who feel the same so they just read. Hopefully with the sillyness the last few days it'll go back to being a more civil place. Just some views frome a (somewhat) fresh set of eyes. Cheers!

Comment

I'm one of those lurkers, I just stopped posting because of all this pro-tank, anti-tank, etc that started to occur. TBH the forums became too personal with all the arguments and it was too drama-ish. I'm already in high school so I don't really want to argue with people on the Internet.

Comment

er1csh3n wrote: View Post
          I'm one of those lurkers, I just stopped posting because of all this pro-tank, anti-tank, etc that started to occur. TBH the forums became too personal with all the arguments and it was too drama-ish. I'm already in high school so I don't really want to argue with people on the Internet.
          Winning fixes everything, even on message boards!
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

"Treat this place like you're at bar with your buddies and shooting the shit. You're not always gonna agree with each other, but you have one common goal - a passion for the Raptors. Each person has an idea of how to better them. No one is right, yet no one is wrong, but at the end of the day, you don't take anything to heart and you move forward."

That is a very well said quote. I read here just about everyday, both for external Raptors links and the threads/game notes etc. and it has been a GREAT site to read other Rap's fans views and opinions, as well as insight. Don't post too often, not for lack of caring, just for the simple reason that most of the time there's points/posts brought up that had a similar idea of what I was thinking. Shame to hear the story of Matt, (first time reading about it), who's posts I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

And there really is no need to get upset on these forums, as 90% + of the people have the same intentions, to follow the team they've loved since 1995 and shoot the sh*t about all things Raptors. Thank you to those who are mods, regular posters, regular contributors, etc. for making this an awesome forum for what it's supposed to be: a forum for passionate raptors fans.

Cheers!!
            Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Wow. Really? The only posts I saw from Matt that may have been considered "objectionable" were in reply to "objectionable" ones directed at him.

I shall miss his posts...they were almost always informative and researched. Hope everyone can calm down and end the spat whatever it is.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                Wow. Really? The only posts I saw from Matt that may have been considered "objectionable" were in reply to "objectionable" ones directed at him.

I shall miss his posts...they were almost always informative and researched. Hope everyone can calm down and end the spat whatever it is.
                Yeah, I must have missed the day(s) of drama. I saw a bit of back and forth, but for a while there Matt reigned it in quite a bit in response.

Anyway, maybe this was discussed but was a short-term suspension ever proposed as opposed to an outright ban? Not only for Matt - if a few members get overheated, a 1-4 week suspension would give them plenty of opportunity to cool off and get some perspective before unloading an eternal ban.

But thanks for the info mods - appreciate the work you do here and the effort you evidently invested in trying to resolve this situation.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, I must have missed the day(s) of drama. I saw a bit of back and forth, but for a while there Matt reigned it in quite a bit in response.

Anyway, maybe this was discussed but was a short-term suspension ever proposed as opposed to an outright ban? Not only for Matt - if a few members get overheated, a 1-4 week suspension would give them plenty of opportunity to cool off and get some perspective before unloading an eternal ban.

But thanks for the info mods - appreciate the work you do here and the effort you evidently invested in trying to resolve this situation.
                  Without getting into too much detail about any one poster, in various cases steps were taken and/or offered. The end result is what it is, as Doc expressed.

I suggest sending Doc a PM if you (anybody) have any further questions.

Cheers,
                  CRF

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                    Those numbers are mild in comparison to afternoons and evenings here. Right now we're averaging about 175 to 200 registered members that login daily with a range of 85 to 110 active at any moment during peaks periods throughout each day. Guests, are normally anywhere between 1000 to 2000 per day. Those numbers aren't entirely accurate though because alot of those guests are bots that cycle through their rotation of websites collecting interweb information. That being said, a solid number of those guests are just that. Alot of fans are just lurkers, while others are loyal to other Raptors message boards and just peruse other fan sites for shits and giggles.

At the end of the day we've come along way from when this forum started up a couple years back, but overall I think the fans like what they see here. Some have begun to compare us to the RealGM Raptors board and as some might take that as an insult, I take it as a compliment. They still are the benchmark in my opinion to message boards when it comes to Raptors fan forums.
                    Traffic here went up exponentially when I came here and you know it.

You get the best, you get the hits.... thats the game baby.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                      "Treat this place like you're at bar with your buddies and shooting the shit. You're not always gonna agree with each other, but you have one common goal - a passion for the Raptors. Each person has an idea of how to better them. No one is right, yet no one is wrong, but at the end of the day, you don't take anything to heart and you move forward."
                      Few things....

1. Mango is right. One thing I have grown to enjoy about this forum, morse so than the last I was on, was that guys here DO get it. They do treat it like its 5-10 buddies at a bar, or in a RecRoom drinking beer, watching hoops, and talking shit. Its great. Because when you can say to a guy "thats just fucking awful, youre insane" and have him tell you to go to hell, but have both understand it is what it is, shit talk for fun.....then thats when you get an authentic experience.

Anyone watch "The League"? THAT is what it should be like.

Anyhow. I should be a high level moderator.

I am quite awesome.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

Ya, I agree, that dude was getting hammered. But, consider this, forums can become addictive and thought consuming. Sometimes they run their course.... he wasn't innocent, but, the return negativity, stuff I would assume 2 years ago he would have handled fine.... he couldnt.

It happens. Dude just needs time away from all this shit.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                          Few things....

1. Mango is right. One thing I have grown to enjoy about this forum, morse so than the last I was on, was that guys here DO get it. They do treat it like its 5-10 buddies at a bar, or in a RecRoom drinking beer, watching hoops, and talking shit. Its great. Because when you can say to a guy "thats just fucking awful, youre insane" and have him tell you to go to hell, but have both understand it is what it is, shit talk for fun.....then thats when you get an authentic experience.

Anyone watch "The League"? THAT is what it should be like.

Anyhow. I should be a high level moderator.

I am quite awesome.
                          Well at least you're modest.

Comment

This is a great forum. I've been a Raptors fan for years (mid 90s)and finally knew I needed a place to talk about them. I saw that this site generated way less traffic than "realgm" but within a couple days I was hooked and never considered using any others. I would much rather talk actual talk with a few names you start to recognize then watch 5,000 users spam threads with idiotic remarks. Derozan misses a shot? "trade him" he makes one? "all star!" Can't stand it.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Great to see the posts coming in from folks who don't post that often. It is amazing how much the number of members/guests change depending on time of day.

I check in far too often, but the quality of the articles and the conversations tends to be pretty high. I really missed the old AltRaps usenet group until I got hooked up here.

Fortunately there is a growing volume of threads and posts. It makes the decision to simply blow past those conversations that are just another iteration in a constantly repeating endless cycle easy. So I wind up saving time and getting an altogether better experience. There are some posters I always read, and some I simply sample periodically to see if their conversations have changed, but it's all good.

Thanks to the members and moderators for making this a go-to internet destination, pretty much every day.

Comment

I have been lurking on here for years, discovered through a Raptors HQ link back in the day. Back then RaptorsHQ was my main site and I'd come here occasionally, now I exclusively come here for raptorstalk. I actually am active on other boards(non bball related) but I remember having difficulty registering before on here and so just gave up. This thread made me try again and it was similarly frustrating(20 minutes to figure out registration is brutal!). MY problem came with the security question: Which player did we acquire from Memphis this season? I first glazed over the Memphis part and thought of our sacremento trade and threw in salmons which didn't work. Next I read it right and just assumed the question hasn't been updated in awhile and so I threw in rudygay which failed. That time it recognized my e-mail that I tried when I first discovered RR and said I could set a new password but again it asked me the rudy gay question and so I tried typing: gay. That didn't work so I decided to try using my little used yahoo account(used only for fantasy hockey) and then finally tried typing:rudy gay and finally got this thing to work.

I share this long boring story wondering if others have had similar issues? For me this is the first forum I have been on that had a space in their security question which is what threw me off.

haha, as an aside, before going for my yahoo account info I decided just to bail out and click the "contact us" link but the same security question was there too!!

Anyways, glad to have finally figured it all out and I am looking forward to being on this site even more than previously!!

Comment

Working...
                                X