View Poll Results: 1st Big off the Bench...

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Healthy Hansbrough, Hands Down.

10 20.41%
  • Definitely Patterson. Definitely.

38 77.55%
  • ...I want Quincy back!!

1 2.04%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st Big: Healthy Hansbrough or Patterson?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Big: Healthy Hansbrough or Patterson?

Both guys obviously bring two completely different packages to the table ... if you had to choose one as your 1st Big off the Bench.. who would it be?
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

went hansbrough because i love him. but in reality it depends on the match up and whether patterson can keep on keeping on like he is now.

if the player we have seen the past two weeks is 2pat then he is a better player than hansbrough
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

2Pat.

I like Hansbrough's aggression, and ability to draw fouls, but he's a bit of a chucker.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll go with 2Pat. Much better offense and can spread the floor, but doesn't hurt you defensively. We still need Tyler tho for his energy and rebounding. But I am starting to like what Hayes can do as well, he's a very smart player. I like our big rotation, even if overall they are a little undersized.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted TH .. he just brings that 'Je ne c'est quio' that this team hasn't had in a very long time.

But I do really like what PeePee has done.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Patterson, but Hansbrough can still get minutes as well instead of Hayes.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking I would say Patterson because the second unit needs help putting the ball in the hoop. But depending on the match up I can see Hansbrough coming in first if we need some toughness.

8. Like ezz_bee, Shantz, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now, Patty cakes has a slight edge although we could be used Hansbrough in the Miami game.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

2Pat.

The reality is that one of them will have to go before next season. Sigh. Patterson is much more of a polished player obviously but I love the muckraking of TH. If Patterson were to start (possibility if Amir were traded...another big sigh) then Tyler could still come off the bench. MU has much to do.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    2Pat.

The reality is that one of them will have to go before next season. Sigh. Patterson is much more of a polished player obviously but I love the muckraking of TH. If Patterson were to start (possibility if Amir were traded...another big sigh) then Tyler could still come off the bench. MU has much to do.
    Do they? Why can't you have both?

Edit: I suppose we need to get an actual back up centre...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post

There is still room for a back-up 7 footer, Hayes will be gone, and guys like Daye, Salmons, Bycks and Stone probably won't be on the roster next year, 5 bigs would be nice.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    There is still room for a back-up 7 footer, Hayes will be gone, and guys like Daye, Salmons, Bycks and Stone probably won't be on the roster next year, 5 bigs would be nice.
    But will some stiff 7 footer give you more than what Hansbrough gives you there as a backup? Hansbrough is undersized, but his level of play is definitely high enough. It's hard to find a good backup C with legit size who can actually do the things you need him to on the basketball court.

Also Chuck Hayes salary is fully guaranteed next year, so unless the Raps want to completely buy out his near-$6 million dollar deal, he's here at least one more season.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    But will some stiff 7 footer give you more than what Hansbrough gives you there as a backup? Hansbrough is undersized, but his level of play is definitely high enough. It's hard to find a good backup C with legit size who can actually do the things you need him to on the basketball court.

Also Chuck Hayes salary is fully guaranteed next year, so unless the Raps want to completely buy out his near-$6 million dollar deal, he's here at least one more season.
    Very true. For the moment, I don't see a problem with Hands and 2Pat.

Imagine though, for a moment, that the team keeps playing the way they've been playing...keeps beating the teams they should, and playing the best teams hard (and sometimes winning)...and MU keeps this core together (while resigning Lowry). And they continue progressing next year, to the point that they feel like they could, say, make an honest run at a team like Indiana in the playoffs. At that point (specifically with that Pacers team in mind), 2Pat and Hands is a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Very true. For the moment, I don't see a problem with Hands and 2Pat.

Imagine though, for a moment, that the team keeps playing the way they've been playing...keeps beating the teams they should, and playing the best teams hard (and sometimes winning)...and MU keeps this core together (while resigning Lowry). And they continue progressing next year, to the point that they feel like they could, say, make an honest run at a team like Indiana in the playoffs. At that point (specifically with that Pacers team in mind), 2Pat and Hands is a problem.
    I don't know. Mahinmi and Scola don't scare me much against Hansbrough and Pat. I think you're picturing going up against starters (Hibbert and West). And also forgetting that Amir can slide over to C with one of them on the court, and he's a long guy. Remember we're talking backups here. Most teams do not have a big and skilled backup C that would give an undersized guy fits.

Post Thanks / Like

2 Pat, easy.

At the moment their impact is similar, but PP clearly has more growth potential and a ceiling that hasn't been reached yet. Tyler is what he is.

That said, Tyler's toughness is valuable. He'll still get regular minutes (and deservedly so) and he'll still be helping them win, but he'll be playing behind PatPat.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of reasons I had in mind....a) for a couple of years I envision MU to stay under the cap to maintain flexibility or have some "loose change" for at least a second tier f/a he felt to be a good fit. b) TH signed here because it afforded him a team where he would not only get minutes but possibly even a starter's role. He may have to of course lower his expectations re that but we dont know this...besides he might get something else back in a trade like that bkup centre you mentioned.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Both guys obviously bring two completely different packages to the table ... if you had to choose one as your 1st Big off the Bench.. who would it be?
    Patterson has proven himself more.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I make no secret of being a big fan of Tyler Hansbrough. I like rooting for the unappreciated guy with great capabilities, who has been successful at every level. He is really misused in Toronto, just as he was in Indiana. At the same time, I have been impressed with the play of Patrick Patterson. Reading the analysis of Patterson's play on Raptors Republic, I come up with these reasons for Hansbrough to be the first big off the bench.

1) The rap on the Raptors for years has been that they are soft. When Tyler came aboard, that all changed. He showed the guys how it is done.

2) The Raptors are a young team that has to learn how to bring it for 48 minutes. Tyler has shown how to go all out, all the time. Now they are getting it! The bad quarters are fewer now and the fourth quarters much stronger, regardless of whether the team is ahead or behind.

3) Toronto succeeds first with defence. Tyler is better at rebounding, especially in offensive rebounding. He is just behind Valanciunas in 36 minute stats at 10.3. Patterson is at 6.8. Tyler protects the rim better and is faster on his feet. He can move laterally with most guards, which is why he can trap at the perimeter, disrupting the opponent's flow, provided the other big rotates. He is strong enough to keep most big men from the basket--with the notable exception of Kevin Love. Watch how often Hansbrough's man misses.

3) Patterson's offence has been very good, while Hansbrough's shooting has suffered. He needs at least 19 minutes to really be successful on offence. Still, he ranks among the top 10 in the NBA in 1.065 free throw attempts per shot. The next nearest Raptor is Landry Fields at .386. This is a very valuable trait to have: your power forward goes to the line, where he shoots .727 (down in recent weeks with the injuries), and the other team's bigs get in foul trouble.

4) The intangibles: getting the opponents riled up or off stride, keeping balls alive, bringing the intensity on both ends of the court. It's hard to find those things in the NBA, where players tend to pace themselves over 82 games.
    Last edited by caccia; Thu Jan 9th, 2014 at 05:14 PM.

20. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    Patterson has proven himself more.
    I feel like this should be extended with....In Casey's jumpshot-heavy offence.

22. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I feel like this should be extended with....In Casey's jumpshot-heavy offence.
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Not sure where PeePee has proven himself more valuable than Hans except as a jump shooter.

Where as TH has proven himself more in Casey's energy-heavy defense.

So I suppose its a matter of which is, and has been, more important to our success.
    Defense of Offense?

ADD Though I suppose the other point could be made that PeePee has taken the bulk of the minutes in our latest successful run; but that's more due to THs injury.
    Would PeePee be playing these minutes if TH were fully healthy ..we really have no idea.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Jan 9th, 2014 at 05:18 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information