Screw Tanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw Tanking

Every rational tanker in the back of his mind wants this team to turn it around, so he/she can abandon the tank. Of course, there are some unique cases of stubborn my-way-or-the-highway die hard tankers or Wiggins patriots that want to break this up to pieces. And I still see some logic behind it. Some. Very little at this stage since the tank job should have started as soon as MU took over. With every single passing day from the training camp this ship (tank) has sailed farther away. Phily did it properly on a draft night. Utah did it well. The notion that we are still waiting and evaluating is ridiculous. Yes, MU may still trade Lowry but that most likely be a result of not being able to sign him to a reasonable extension or some team suddenly offers something crazy for him due to injury. I don’t think MU will over pay. What Lowry is worth is another debate. I just want to say that the recent play since the famous trade has turned me into a believer and I officially abandoned the tank nation as of this moment. DD has matured drastically. Last night was a prime example. He couldn’t hit anything in the beginning, though he found a way to contribute and was great getting the calls and hitting his FT. Lowry is playing out of his mind. He takes several charges every game and I love his aggressiveness on D. Some here say he gambles a lot. Yes he does sometimes, but I still love it. The steal he got last night from Bynum – I thought it was a foul… but he did it so nicely the refs did not call. He has a nose for the ball and refs see that. 2Pat is an eye-opening. Now I see why he was a lottery pick. I have never seen him play before he got to the Raps and I definitely want to keep him. JV is my boy. Loved Lithuanian basketball and everything associated with it since Sabonis days in Real Madrid. Proud of Jonas, he represents his country well!

As for how to build this into a contender… it’s not easy and I don’t have an answer. This is why MU gets paid the big bucks. Steve Kerr once said in a podcast that it is relatively easy to build a playoff team (right BC?!) but it is a lot harder to turn it into a contender. I trust MU that he will get more value with every single move. It will be a lot easier when the contract of Fileds, Salmons and Hayes come off the books. I hope he extends KL for something reasonable and we go from there.

I think I'm might just go ahead and censor the word "tank" so whenever anyone types it here on the forums it just shows as "****". Its pretty evident that Masai and the Raptors aren't even thinking of it. Especially now.

Comment

Yup, the tank movement is over. That window has officially closed.

I'm just too lazy to find a new avatar.

Comment

Full steam ahead.

#3rdseed
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

That's why the tank avatars might be the next to go!
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I'm still not convinced that tearing it apart isn't the better long term option, even at this later stage in the season. Now that Gay has been moved (the #1 priority for basically every "tank" plan), the only question is Lowry; what is he worth to re-sign and do you risk letting him walk for nothing? The whole premise of tanking this season was to make a firm directional choice and capitalize on this draft. If you lose Lowry in free agency, but win the division, what long term benefit have you achieved? A late pick and no starting PG.

Even if you keep Lowry, there are huge question marks. Yes he is playing great right now, but there is still a history of over-weight, injured, clashing with coaches and it's the dreaded "contract year". Do you really want to commit the next 5 years of this franchise behind a guy who hasn't been able to be in shape over most of his career? I think that scares me more than anything. I love the way he is playing right now, but don't feel confident that he will keep it up for years.

Masai may have chosen his direction and will make his moves accordingly, but until it all is played out, we can't say that it is the correct decision. I worry that the market has forced him more than the quality of the team. As good as this team is playing, we are far from being a legit contender and it looks like we'll have lesser assets in which to build with. This season could just be another fool's gold banner ala '07.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Raps going for home court advantage baby!

Comment

There is still a lot of room for growth on this team. JV and TRoss will have a lot to say about how far this team is going to go, if we keep them.

Comment

Zig when everyone else Zags!

Raps beat out New York for 5th seed, face Brooklyn in the first round. Hopefully BEAT Brooklyn, and move to the 2nd round in the first time in like... ever. All the while gaining reputation/recognition for our players, thus being able to sell high during next offseason.
                  Nothing like a solid playoff series win and competitiveness to showcase our talent!
                  Thats me before the season started on some other tanking thread. If everyone is tanking in the East, we might as well take advantage of weak competition and shoot for the playoffs. In light of the new circumstances, and of Brooklyn and New York being duds, we can shoot for the 3rd seed in the East!!!!
                  This is the ultimate zigging when others zag. This means a division championship banner, this means home court advantage against the 6th seed (2nd round??), this means recognition, respect, reputation for our players. This means inflated value. This is the path we need to head down.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

If we get the third seed, then I hope Miami get the #1 seed!!

Comment

I still think you can't be a serious contender in this league without a superstar or two, but my rationale has always been that it's not in our hands. It's up to MU, so let's just let the man do his job, and enjoy the brand of basketball that the Raptors are playing.

MU has set the team up nicely to be able to trade or buy his way into the draft if possible. While everyone is thinking about this years draft, MU is thinking about the future of the team (NY 2016 first rounder). He isn't just building this team to succeed now, but to sustain that success for the long haul.

Comment

Well said Axel.

At this point I pray we are able to sign Lowry back. If we continue with this core past the deadline and end up losing Lowry in Free Agency, that will be a massive hit to the Raptors.

Comment

The tank is out in that Ujiri's not going to "blow up" a roster that's performing this well with young players on good contracts.

The long-term "rebuild" (or whatever) is still full steam ahead in that this team is nowhere near championship-level yet.

There is room for internal growth, and there is roster flexibility/cap space for near-future transactions, but it's still completely reasonable that at some point some of the current core may be swapped out in that quest for a superstar/franchise player/higher overall talent level.

As mentioned, Lowry is a huge domino at this point.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            I still think you can't be a serious contender in this league without a superstar or two, but my rationale has always been that it's not in our hands. It's up to MU, so let's just let the man do his job, and enjoy the brand of basketball that the Raptors are playing.

MU has set the team up nicely to be able to trade or buy his way into the draft if possible. While everyone is thinking about this years draft, MU is thinking about the future of the team (NY 2016 first rounder). He isn't just building this team to succeed now, but to sustain that success for the long haul.
                            Are there any protections with this pick?

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              I'm still not convinced that tearing it apart isn't the better long term option, even at this later stage in the season. Now that Gay has been moved (the #1 priority for basically every "tank" plan), the only question is Lowry; what is he worth to re-sign and do you risk letting him walk for nothing? The whole premise of tanking this season was to make a firm directional choice and capitalize on this draft. If you lose Lowry in free agency, but win the division, what long term benefit have you achieved? A late pick and no starting PG.

Even if you keep Lowry, there are huge question marks. Yes he is playing great right now, but there is still a history of over-weight, injured, clashing with coaches and it's the dreaded "contract year". Do you really want to commit the next 5 years of this franchise behind a guy who hasn't been able to be in shape over most of his career? I think that scares me more than anything. I love the way he is playing right now, but don't feel confident that he will keep it up for years.

Masai may have chosen his direction and will make his moves accordingly, but until it all is played out, we can't say that it is the correct decision. I worry that the market has forced him more than the quality of the team. As good as this team is playing, we are far from being a legit contender and it looks like we'll have lesser assets in which to build with. This season could just be another fool's gold banner ala '07.
                              Losing Lowry is not an option regardless of the direction. Giving him 5 years is a no-no in my mind; I'd offer him around 8 mil/per for three years. Maybe a team option for forth year. Truth is, the Raps are destined for playoffs this year not because they are great and the team is a contender. The weak East is just that much more shitty this year for obvious reasons and just some bad luck/management (both NY teams). Can this team have a home court in 2-3 years? Who knows... maybe. I don't think this team core will ever be a contender; there is no illusion in my mind. We definitely still need more talent. I just know that the tank has dissipated long time ago. I trust MU will be able to add the right pieces at the right time. Slowly.

Other teams in the East will be better next season, there is no doubt. Let's see how this pans out.

Comment

Working...
                              X