Screw Tanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vino wrote: View Post
    Losing Lowry is not an option regardless of the direction. Giving him 5 years is a no-no in my mind; I'd offer him around 8 mil/per for three years. Maybe a team option for forth year. Truth is, the Raps are destined for playoffs this year not because they are great and the team is a contender. The weak East is just that much more shitty this year for obvious reasons and just some bad luck/management (both NY teams). Can this team have a home court in 2-3 years? Who knows... maybe. I don't think this team core will ever be a contender; there is no illusion in my mind. We definitely still need more talent. I just know that the tank has dissipated long time ago. I trust MU will be able to add the right pieces at the right time. Slowly.

Other teams in the East will be better next season, there is no doubt. Let's see how this pans out.
    What happens when Lowry declines that offer? Losing him becomes a serious possibility.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Are there any protections with this pick?
      I've been trying to dig this up ... nothing from what I can find.

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
        Losing Lowry is not an option regardless of the direction. Giving him 5 years is a no-no in my mind; I'd offer him around 8 mil/per for three years. Maybe a team option for forth year. Truth is, the Raps are destined for playoffs this year not because they are great and the team is a contender. The weak East is just that much more shitty this year for obvious reasons and just some bad luck/management (both NY teams). Can this team have a home court in 2-3 years? Who knows... maybe. I don't think this team core will ever be a contender; there is no illusion in my mind. We definitely still need more talent. I just know that the tank has dissipated long time ago. I trust MU will be able to add the right pieces at the right time. Slowly.

Other teams in the East will be better next season, there is no doubt. Let's see how this pans out.
        This seems to get said every year, yet the East normally sucks every year, at least compared to the West. This team is good, not because everyone else sucks, but because they believe they can win, and they are committed to playing defense, which keeps us in games and at least, gives us a chance to win or allows us to blow out teams like Detroit. And they were supposed to be much better this year with a Frankenroster that exceeds anything that BC could even imagine. We still have a ways to go, but do not dispel the real reason this team is succeeding.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          LOL - fantastic avatar, even though I want to punch it.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Are there any protections with this pick?
            joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            No protections but its the worse of NY's or Denver's pick. So if both teams don't make the playoffs in 2016 it's a lottery pick.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              No protections but its the worse of NY's or Denver's pick. So if both teams don't make the playoffs in 2016 it's a lottery pick.
              As things are now, both teams need to do some work to keep that from happening. Although, obviously, 2 years is lots of time.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Thats me before the season started on some other tanking thread. If everyone is tanking in the East, we might as well take advantage of weak competition and shoot for the playoffs. In light of the new circumstances, and of Brooklyn and New York being duds, we can shoot for the 3rd seed in the East!!!!
                This is the ultimate zigging when others zag. This means a division championship banner, this means home court advantage against the 6th seed (2nd round??), this means recognition, respect, reputation for our players. This means inflated value. This is the path we need to head down.
                1st bold: do people really actually care about those around here?

2nd bold: you don't think the entire league realizes how shit the east is?

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post

Agreed. The idea that the Raps get any respect by making the playoffs this year is a joke. The rest of the league will be shaking their heads and laughing as they draft studs and easily surpass us next year and beyond.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    Agreed. The idea that the Raps get any respect by making the playoffs this year is a joke. The rest of the league will be shaking their heads and laughing as they draft studs and easily surpass us next year and beyond.
                    They haven't made the playoffs yet, and are already getting respect!!

Comment

What happens when Lowry declines that offer? Losing him becomes a serious possibility.
                      I don't think this is near the worry that many keep saying is such a big issue. There will be very little competition for him this summer. Why I say that:

More than 2/3 of teams committed to starting PGs already:
                      Boston............Rondo
                      Brooklyn..........DWill + well over cap
                      Philly..............M C Williams
                      Dallas.............Jose
                      Houston..........just NOT going to happen
                      Memphis.........Conley
                      Spurs.............Parker
                      Bulls...............Rose
                      Cavs..............Irving
                      Indiana...........Hill, $8M/yr for 3 more years
                      Denver............Lawson
                      Minny.............Rubio
                      OKC...............Westbrook
                      Portland..........Lillard
                      Jazz...............Burke
                      Atlanta...........Teague
                      Charlotte........Walker
                      Washington.....Wall
                      GSW..............Curry
                      LAC...............CP3
                      Suns..............Dragic/Bledsoe
                      These teams are not going to pay big $ for a bench PG, not to say Lowry is the least likely to accept such a role

Teams that might be interested, but well over the cap:
                      Knicks
                      Miami

Only possible competition:

Detroit: But they do have $8M, $8.3M committed to Jennings over 2 years, aside from I think they'd have to waaaaaay overpay him to entice him to play with that dysfunctional bunch. I just can't see him going there for a few extra $$$

Milwaukee: If Milwaukee is the only competition,,,, just like Pistons, they'd have to offer an insane amount of $$$ I don't see it, but..... could they get their PG of future in the draft? Exum, Smart?

Sacramento: They seem very high on Thomas, and will have to sign him, but biggest obstacle is Cousins is due a new contract that will likely push them over the cap. but I guess a remote possibility. Don't see it

Orlando: they could be interested, depending on who they snag in the draft. If it's Exum or Smart, are they going to give a big contract to Lowry? And does Lowry want to move from here to a team that has much more to do in rebuilding?

Lakers: Huge amount of cap coming up, but they seem to have sights set on bigger fish than Lowry. Again though, would Lowry go there for anything less than a huge contract? He'd be worried that a healthy Nash could relegate him to the bench, and/or he'd have to accept being Kobe's ballboy

At the end of the day, there will be very little competition for his services and none of them offer near the ideal situation that Lowry finds himself in here. I know there's worry about the "contract year" thing, but there seems to be some clear indications that his play goes way beyond that and that he's loving the situation here, and the role he's playing in it. For one thing, it seems clear he relishes a leadership role, and it's clearly his here. With management's commitment to strive for the top, the team's commitment to playing the right way, and his role in it, it's going to be very tough for any of the few possibilities to pry him away.
                      Last edited by p00ka; Thu Jan 9, 2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        They're getting respect because of the way they're playing the game of basketball, not where they are in the standings. But can i borrow that crystal ball of yours? You sure seem certain of some pretty deep stuff. Who is going to laugh about getting a stud and surpassing us next year? Seriously, which team(s) are suddenly going to surpass us from getting a pick? Note: they'd likely have to get a guy that, in his rookie year, is going to deliver that team more than what improvements from JV, Ross, and DD will, and our own draft pick.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                          Detroit: But they do have $8M, $8.3M committed to Jennings over 2 years, aside from I think they'd have to waaaaaay overpay him to entice him to play with that dysfunctional bunch. I just can't see him going there for a few extra $$$
                          Move Jennings to SG (or trade him). Kyle at point. Assume they trade Monroe rather than resign him and play Smith at PF, they get a good SF in the draft? That's the start of a good team. I think Detroit is a serious contender to sign Lowry, possibly THE most serious contender (it's them or LA, and Joe Dumars will be willing to overpay).

Milwaukee: If Milwaukee is the only competition,,,, just like Pistons, they'd have to offer an insane amount of $$$ I don't see it, but
                          Milwaukee will have a shiny high pick coming to the team and Giannis continuing to get more amazing and will tell Kyle, straight up, it's his offense to run, period, end of story. Milwaukee has had INSANELY bad injury luck this year and will have money to move. I think they seriously make an offer.

Lakers: Huge amount of cap coming up, but they seem to have sights set on bigger fish than Lowry.
                          If Lowry gets an All-Star nod (and there's a good chance of that happening) then he's going to be one of the bigger fish available, and more importantly he'll be the best PG available for a rich-ass team that needs a PG. Kobe + good draft pick + cheaper Pau + Carmelo maybe? I think Kyle takes a long, hard look at that possibility.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post

I dont need to make any assumptions,
                            Look RIGHT NOW at the respect that TRoss is getting around the league. The Miami Heat announcers were going on about Derozan playing like an All-star. Lowry is getting recognition and his trade value has already skyrocketed compared to the rumours we heard earlier this year.

This is what inflated value means. When your team is losing, its easy to point at a player with good stats and say: Good stats on a Bad team.

But if the Team is freaking 3rd seed that is a null argument. Demars percentages are easier to swallow because it leads to wins. Demars reputation is despite his lowered percentage, because we are winning.

so 1st bold: I love seeing the Division banner, it reminds me of the Anthony Parker, Garbo, Nesterovic team.

2nd bold: Is the east bad, or is the west just ridiculously good? Does it matter? 3rd best team in a 15 team conference is clearly going to lead to the respect, recognition, and reputation I was referring to.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                              Move Jennings to SG (or trade him). Kyle at point. Assume they trade Monroe rather than resign him and play Smith at PF, they get a good SF in the draft? That's the start of a good team. I think Detroit is a serious contender to sign Lowry, possibly THE most serious contender (it's them or LA, and Joe Dumars will be willing to overpay).

Milwaukee will have a shiny high pick coming to the team and Giannis continuing to get more amazing and will tell Kyle, straight up, it's his offense to run, period, end of story. Milwaukee has had INSANELY bad injury luck this year and will have money to move. I think they seriously make an offer.

If Lowry gets an All-Star nod (and there's a good chance of that happening) then he's going to be one of the bigger fish available, and more importantly he'll be the best PG available for a rich-ass team that needs a PG. Kobe + good draft pick + cheaper Pau + Carmelo maybe? I think Kyle takes a long, hard look at that possibility.
                              I completely agree.

Boston is also another huge darkhorse in my mind, if they were to move Rondo this season.

Comment

Lowry for Monroe?

Comment

Working...
                                X