Bryan Colangelo - Updated Legacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm confused as to what you disagree with. That we're too hard on him?
    Yes, with my definition of "too hard" being those calling him the worst GM in Rap's history.

Comment

• Gotcha.

I agree he's not the worst GM in team history. That distinction is firmly cemented on Babcock's forehead.

But he's a close 2nd (mainly due to him being here so long).

Comment

• I think BC's biggest flaw was allowing opportunities/situations to cause him to be far too wishy-washy with his team-building strategy. Had he ever stuck to a strategy faithfully for more than a single season, he likely would have had far more success, in much more sustainable manner.

The perfect example was the season after drafting JV (great pick), when JV was going to be in Europe. Rather than continue his methodical rebuild, to accumulate assets and financial flexibility to eventually build around a core that included JV, he decided to switch his strategy from rebuilding to building (or accelerated rebuilding). He looked for quick-fix type solutions that flew in the face of a true rebuild. It would be like Philly going all-in this season, in an attempt to take advantage of the weak EC, while their #1 overall pick (Noel) sits on the sidelines all season; it's just completely counter-intuitive when looking at the long-term best-case scenario.
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I think BC's biggest flaw was allowing opportunities/situations to cause him to be far too wishy-washy with his team-building strategy. Had he ever stuck to a strategy faithfully for more than a single season, he likely would have had far more success, in much more sustainable manner.

The perfect example was the season after drafting VC (great pick), when VC was going to be in Europe. Rather than continue his methodical rebuild, to accumulate assets and financial flexibility to eventually build around a core that included VC, he decided to switch his strategy from rebuilding to building (or accelerated rebuilding). He looked for quick-fix type solutions that flew in the face of a true rebuild. It would be like Philly going all-in this season, in an attempt to take advantage of the weak EC, while their #1 overall pick (Noel) sits on the sidelines all season; it's just completely counter-intuitive when looking at the long-term best-case scenario.
          You mean, JV?

Comment

• Full disclosure: Yes, I was a BC "lover" in those early years, perplexion at the ONeal acquisition and revolt after the Bosh fumble.

His first and probably the fatal mistake leading to his flawed decision making re player acquisitions...was the notion he wanted to create "Phoenix Suns North" in Toronto.

Comment

• hindsight, without a doubt.

Comment

• In his column today, while discussing the All-Star selections, Zach Lowe wrote this:

It’s funny, by the way, how three of Bryan Colangelo’s key decisions in Toronto don’t look so bad now. DeRozan’s contract extension took widespread criticism, including here, and it’s still a bit too long and pricey for my taste. But if he keeps improving, he’ll live up to it, and Toronto could easily find a home for him via trade. Colangelo got Lowry for a pick that became Steven Adams, though of course a pick that juicy has larger value that just Adams; Houston used it as the key piece in the James Harden deal. Amir Johnson’s contract looks downright good now.

None of this erases the Andrea Bargnani stain, the Gay trade, or the insane Landry Fields contract. But the record is mixed, not one of total failure, and the record of almost every GM regresses to “mixed” over time.
                http://grantland.com/the-triangle/10...me-selections/

We can certainly acknowledge the good decisions that BC made, while still recognizing that the body of work was less than desirable. This team has BC's fingerprints on it, but it isn't his vision.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Ya but BC got us Shawn Marion. I'll never forget that one game where we wore those green jerseys and Marion had like 5 or 6 dunks. When we bring Vince back, I say we swallow the blue pill and enter the Matrix once again.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Gotcha.

I agree he's not the worst GM in team history. That distinction is firmly cemented on Babcock's forehead.

But he's a close 2nd (mainly due to him being here so long).
                    Babcock was terrible:
                    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...abcoro99x.html

June 24, 2004: Selected Rafael Araujo (1st round, 8th pick) and Albert Miralles (2nd round, 39th pick) in the 2004 NBA Draft.
                    June 24, 2004: Traded Albert Miralles to the Miami Heat for Pape Sow and a 2005 2nd round draft pick (Uros Slokar was later selected).
                    July 14, 2004: Signed Rafer Alston as a free agent.
                    August 18, 2004: Signed Loren Woods as a free agent.
                    December 17, 2004: Traded Vince Carter to the New Jersey Nets for Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, a 2005 1st round draft pick (Joey Graham was later selected) and a 2006 1st round draft pick (Renaldo Balkman was later selected).
                    April 9, 2005: Signed Omar Cook to a 10-day contract.
                    June 28, 2005: Selected Charlie Villanueva (1st round, 7th pick), Joey Graham (1st round, 16th pick), Roko Ukic (2nd round, 41st pick) and Uros Slokar (2nd round, 58th pick) in the 2005 NBA Draft.
                    August 3, 2005: Signed Jose Calderon as a free agent.
                    October 4, 2005: Traded Rafer Alston to the Houston Rockets for Mike James.
                    November 16, 2005: Signed Darrick Martin as a free agent.

Can't really complain about the Jose signing, but everything else was awful.

Comment

• Babcock somehow looked like an even bigger boob on that VC thing. It was actually amazing.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Colangelo's a good GM. He's made some good moves that just didn't work out like the Turk signing and the JO trade. I think he deserves to be a GM again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Cleveland or Brooklyn next year.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Colangelo's a good GM. He's made some good moves that just didn't work out like the Turk signing and the JO trade. I think he deserves to be a GM again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Cleveland or Brooklyn next year.
                          You and I disagree on what a "good move" is.

-The Turk signing was ridiculous. It was "we have cap space lets spend it on the biggest name at our most needed position" without any mind for fit. We just saw the team finish a season well with a defence-first, non-ball dominating athletic player in Shawn Marion....And BC signed an offence-first, ball-dominating non-athletic player who can't operate in isos instead.

-The JO trade was just dumb. We already had Bosh and Bargnani, who BC was attached to, and he thought the missing piece was rounding out the big rotation. Now, we definitely needed a shotblocking presence like JO, but we didn't need to have all 3 of those guys, while also having serious questions at wing, and PG depth.

Good moves are understanding what your team is lacking, and trying to fill the holes in your roster while maintaining/improving chemistry and fit. Turkoglu was a horrible fit. O'Neal may have been a good fit if he had also been willing to trade Bosh or Bargnani for a legit wing (and if JO wasn't already obviously on the decline). BC just didn't get it.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            Anyone mention the Matt Barnes saga? My memory is fuzzy, but what I recall is it being a case of coming to an agreement with him without realizing the contract was not allowable due to cap rules.
                            yup, and if that signing had gone through, I can guarantee you we would have had to forfeit numerous 1st rd picks, like Minnesota did with Joe Smith.
                            Last edited by peanutwoozle; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• I can't believe these threads keep coming up. Colangelo had seven years to do something. He was as bad as you remember, there's no "getting the short end of it" here. He had his opportunity and he was brutal at it for 6 out of 7 years.

Some of you guys act like drafting great players in the top 10 is the work of a miracle man.
                              Last edited by Letter N; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                                I can't believe these threads keep coming up. Colangelo had seven years to do something. He was as bad as you remember, there's no "getting the short end of it" here. He had his opportunity and he was brutal at it for 6 out of 7 years.

Some of you guys act like drafting great players in the top 10 is the work of a miracle man.
                                This.

Why is anybody even thinking about Colangelo anymore?

7 years is enough years - he was bad.
                                Stop it.

Comment

Working...
                                X