Bryan Colangelo - Updated Legacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Darko over Carmelo or Bosh was really the most puzzling. That trumps anything Bryan ever did.
    Actually at the time most scouts had Darko #2.

Yeah Darko went #2 and everyone talks about that, but only 2 guys in that draft have ever taken their team anywhere CLOSE to the promised land: the #1 pick and the #5 pick. Which pick did we have? #4. So yeah.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      He did a satisfactory job of drafting, meaning there are no real busts on his resume from Toronto, but he also had the #1, #5, #8, #9 and #13 picks respectively over a 7 year span. You're supposed to get rotation players with those picks, at the very minimal - and that's what he did. No busts but no all stars either (DD may change that in February). There's no need to go crazy patting him on the back for essentially the one facet of his job which he was able to do at an adequate level.
      Hot dang, when you put it that way I have to completely agree with you. Man, I really hate that guy.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

Have we been too hard on Colangelo?

Do you think we have been too hard on Colangelo and are giving Masai too much credit? Granted, getting rid of the two albatross contracts is a huge achievement, let alone getting anything of value back. But the core of this winning team was assembled by Colangelo. He gave DD that contract extension that now looks like a good business move. he got K Low on the cheap. He drafted T-Ross and JV. The way this team is playing now, one may argue, was Colangelo's vision, not Masai's. Heck, Masai almost traded K Low if it wasn't for Dolan saying no. Thoughts?

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again: he had a decent eye for talent and no touch for building a team. I think the results both before and after his firing bear this out. His biggest consistent error was a tendency to get locked into building around whoever his best player at the time, first with Bosh, then with Bargnani, and he would have done it again with Gay if given the chance.

Comment

we only started winning once we got the SAC bench and god rid of gay and bargnani. that was pure masai.

Comment

No.

This topic has been done to death.

If BC were still here, he'd probably be trying to build around Gay to justify that acquisition. In the process, who knows who of the current core he'd trade (Lowry? DD? Ross? Amir? Jonas? several of the above?). I give him credit for making the obvious pick with Jonas, and for listening to Stefanski and/or Casey for the Ross pick (Drummond debates aside, since it seems they were never too high on him for the same reasons that 7 other teams passed on him). We might even still be stuck with Bargnani if he were here.

BC's gone. He did a bad job. He deserved to be let go. Time to move on.

Comment

Masai is not perfect and will make some dumb decisions.. but Bryan really screwed the pooch several times. He corrected some but in the end he had wasted too many opportunities.

Fields by the way is still making over $6M and is still on the payroll next year. Enough said.

Comment

No, he deserved it
                  Lets look at all the bad mistakes...

Bargnani, over L. Aldridge
                  Getting nothing for Bosh, except for a useless TPE
                  Bargnani's contract
                  Landry Fields contract...
                  Jermaine O'Neal
                  Turkologu signing
                  Rudy Gay trade

His accomplishments had a lot of room for failure too

Amir Johnson was unproven
                  Lowry showed he was an enigma in the past
                  DD was unproven
                  He drafted T-Ross over Drummond
                  JV move was to mesh with Bargnani -- in essence, he was building around Bargs to make a European tandem

Comment

Lets put it this way...if BC wasnt fired when he was he'd have definitely been gone during the type of start we had this season. As has been mentioned Gay would have never been traded and without the influx of the Sac guys which was a master stroke in terms of the fit they provided on this team (and I dont think it was totally accidental) all the BC picks you mentioned may have in fact been regressing. So good on the picks (any decent GM should pick well at those positions in the draft) but not so for the rest of the 7 year booboos re team building.

Comment

Keep hearing we got nothing for Bosh. We got 2 1st round picks, Drafted JV with the one pickand traded the other for James Johnson I believe..
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

**groan** Not this one again. There's only one thing you need to know to put this one to bed....yet again.

If BC had gotten his way, Rudy Gay would have signed a long-term extension LAST YEAR. There are articles to back this up, but I'm too lazy to search and too tired of this topic.

Comment

If the question is, with hindsight, did he get flack for what turned out to be good choices. Yes. But he also gets rightful flack for mistakes he made. It really shouldn't matter anymore. He's gone, we're movin' on up, and leaving the slums behind.

Comment

I love all you guys who "know" what Colangelo's moves would be if he was still here.

what a crock of shit

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                              I love all you guys who "know" what Colangelo's moves would be if he was still here.

what a crock of shit
                              Thank goodness MLSE didn't let this happen....

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...act-extension/

The struggling Raptors appear to believe in Gay. General manager Bryan Colangelo already views him as the face of the franchise, and a source said he will likely offer a contract extension in the off-season.

Comment

In the end, the most impressive decision I think he made regarding this team was the DeMar extension. There was definitely uncertainty as to whether he'd be fully worth it, but it was never going to be a dramatic overpayment, and now it's looking like good value. It wasn't just random luck dependent, like a young unproven Amir becoming a major contributor. It was a gutsy move banking on thinking the player will fulfill their promise, and maybe and then some.

I mean, the going rate for young quality wings is generally higher than 9.5 million.

Also, DeMar's probably getting a decent bonus for this all-star appearance, so good for him. I remember them saying his contract had max bonuses taking it to something like 11 million. Gotta think if he's an all-star and the team makes the playoffs he'll get a fairly good chunk of that bonus.

Comment

Working...
                                X