Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Lowry is a priority

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looks like Lowry is a priority

Source:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...g-In-Offseason

Which is makes a lot of sense. Realistically, when you look at the crop of free agents and the fact that we will most likely fall way out of the lottery, makes no sense to trade one of if not your best player. Whether he leaves or not well that'll be on Lowry.

Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Could we possibly Sign and Trade and try to pick up a pick? Lowry's value has gone up quite a bit, so it would make sense. I don't know all the CBA stuff and how trading and contracts work, so I don't know if it would be possible.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
    Could we possibly Sign and Trade and try to pick up a pick? Lowry's value has gone up quite a bit, so it would make sense. I don't know all the CBA stuff and how trading and contracts work, so I don't know if it would be possible.
    if he is a raptor after the deadline this is what will happen unless money and years aren't factors for lowry
    For The Win

4. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The only question is does Lowry want to stay?

The Raps will only have $39.3 Mill in guaranteed contracts -- they can pay the guy. Who else can, (will have $8-10Mill to sign him) and needs a lead guard? Orlando ($33.5 Mill)? The Lakers ($34 Mill w/ only 6 players signed! Oh wait, that's only 3 guaranteed contracts...wow.) Everyone else is up against the cap or has a lead guard. If Kyle wants to be a backup on another team -- power to him.

Unless I'm missing a team, there's no rush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    if he is a raptor after the deadline this is what will happen unless money and years aren't factors for lowry
    Why? A sign and trade no longer offers the benefits to players it once did. He would make exactly the same annual pay, raises and max years with a sign and trade as he would outright signing somewhere. If the Raptors want a sign and trade, they'll have to cross their fingers and hope he chooses a team that doesn't have cap space (as a note, more than half the teams in the league can have significant cap space this summer).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Why? A sign and trade no longer offers the benefits to players it once did. He would make exactly the same annual pay, raises and max years with a sign and trade as he would outright signing somewhere. If the Raptors want a sign and trade, they'll have to cross their fingers and hope he chooses a team that doesn't have cap space (as a note, more than half the teams in the league can have significant cap space this summer).
    I didn't know this. I thought Bird Rights still exist allowing the Raptors to offer more money along with an extra year.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I didn't know this. I thought Bird Rights still exist allowing the Raptors to offer more money along with an extra year.
    The Raptors can indeed offer more money and an extra year. But not in a sign and trade. Only if they sign and keep Lowry. Sign and trades can no longer utilize Bird Right raises and contract length - the only part of Bird Rights that apply to S+T's is the ability to go over the cap to sign the player.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a better alternative out there? I say re up him, he's in his prime. Control the asset, trade him later if need be. There will always be demand for 3 and D veteran point guards.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote IROR wrote: View Post
    Is there a better alternative out there? I say re up him, he's in his prime. Control the asset, trade him later if need be. There will always be demand for 3 and D veteran point guards.
    Yup, gotta lock up them MVP point guards!

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry - 4th best WARP for PGs in the league, 8th best overall.

Is he the star we've been desperate for?

Raptors Republic Rookie chch166's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Lowry - 4th best WARP for PGs in the league, 8th best overall.

Is he the star we've been desperate for?
    I wouldn't call him a star

Post Thanks / Like

I think they should listen but not actively seek out deal. That way there is honest deniabilty later when the rumour mill swirls.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I think they should listen but not actively seek out deal. That way there is honest deniabilty later when the rumour mill swirls.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Yeah you never know someone might offer you a lottery pick.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote IROR wrote: View Post
    You pretty much nailed the alternative. Ujiri threw big bucks at Nene, and later traded him. Presumably so he wouldn't lose an asset, but I still maintain that the contract he gave him was atrocious.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chch166 wrote: View Post
    This begs the question of whether or not that's an error in perception. He's definitely a focal point of our offense. The impact is tangible when he comes off the bench. The stats seem to agree.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    You pretty much nailed the alternative. Ujiri threw big bucks at Nene, and later traded him. Presumably so he wouldn't lose an asset, but I still maintain that the contract he gave him was atrocious.
    The theory offered is that Masai while not enamored at the asking price also did not want to lose an asset for zilch as you noted. I would assume that Nene had received other offers and MU may/would have been aware of the competition and took the risk in signing him aware that he could flip Nene for another asset. Who knows maybe the Wizards may have been one of the teams competing for Nene with whom Masai traded with for McGee (conjecture). My point is if MU had an accurate feel for the market value (other offers) then the odds were that he could do another deal later.

Now trading for McGee is the real head scratcher for me. But it was a 3 team trade (Clippers) which also netted Turiaf for Denver.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Career wise? Nope.

Over the last five weeks? Gotta at least think about it...

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic...I hear that Jrue Holiday (Pelicans) fractured his/a shin. It's amazing how many pgs are getting injured.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry has to keep his health in order to be a top-5 PG this year. Everyone else is dropping like flies.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

21. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like someone said, 'not career-wise', but he's certainly playing like a star lately.

So whats the word on KL? Does he even want to stay?

And why does he even want out? I would think the winning streak thats got all the Raps saying "we can play with anyone" plus his obvious importance to the team AND his career-high numbers...he's the established leader of the team, he's in for a big pay raise, he's in All-star AND MVP talks.....why would he or anyone in that situation want out?

23. Like p00ka liked this post

Thread Information