Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Looks like Lowry is a priority

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Good article (as usual). I thought I had my Toronto blinders on when I thought there might be some appeal to staying here. Then again, if LA says "come play on the beach"....that might be tough
    The thing with LA is that they have much more uncertainty. They have Kobe, and really nothing else, and Kobe will be old and coming off a string of injuries. They also want to have enough space to offer Kevin Love (or whoever, but lets assume Love) a max deal when he is a free agent, which means they can't throw the bank at Lowry without risking compromising their other future free agent plans. But yeah, I still see them as the main threat for his services.

Still though, a lot can change in the NBA pretty quickly. The main part of the article I agree with is that roughly 3/4+ (very likely 25ish teams) of the league won't have the playing time/opportunity or money to really pursue him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

That was a pretty good summary by Chisholm, but I think he missed 2 (at least) possibilities in his analysis.

First, if Boston were to trade Rondo, they'd immediately become a potential landing spot for Lowry in free agency. Of all the teams eliminated due to having an established starter, they're the one team whose situation could very well change between now and next season.

Second, the idea of a S&T was never raised. Given NY's rumored interest this season, I could see them possibly revisiting such a deal as a S&T. Other teams that may not have the cap space required to sign Lowry outright, could look to go the S&T route. It's probably a fairly low likelihood, but needs to be included in any discussion that wants to explore every possible option.

I really do think Toronto is the front-runner to re-sign Lowry if he isn't traded this season. I just really hope the Raptors don't overpay him (but to not trade him and then not re-sign him would be horrible asset management). My biggest concern is still the fact that he's doing all this in a contract year when he's finally healthy. If the Raps could get him for $8M per season (or less), that would be pretty fair and would only be a $1.8M increase from his current salary.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I could live with that number for Lowry. And I'd still hope they manage to get a young PG in place as soon as possible, likely in one of the next couple of drafts.

I'd be pretty surprised if they offered Patterson a 5-year deal though. Give him his qualifying offer which is about 4.3 million, hope that no one offers him anything better, and do something like a 2 year + 3rd year player option if you can.
    I'd only give Lowry a 5th year if its a team option or with a very small guarantee. He's injury prone and it's only going to get tougher the older he gets. Patterson should get no more than 4 years either, I agree.

Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    That was a pretty good summary by Chisholm, but I think he missed 2 (at least) possibilities in his analysis.

First, if Boston were to trade Rondo, they'd immediately become a potential landing spot for Lowry in free agency. Of all the teams eliminated due to having an established starter, they're the one team whose situation could very well change between now and next season.

Second, the idea of a S&T was never raised. Given NY's rumored interest this season, I could see them possibly revisiting such a deal as a S&T. Other teams that may not have the cap space required to sign Lowry outright, could look to go the S&T route. It's probably a fairly low likelihood, but needs to be included in any discussion that wants to explore every possible option.

I really do think Toronto is the front-runner to re-sign Lowry if he isn't traded this season. I just really hope the Raptors don't overpay him (but to not trade him and then not re-sign him would be horrible asset management). My biggest concern is still the fact that he's doing all this in a contract year when he's finally healthy. If the Raps could get him for $8M per season (or less), that would be pretty fair and would only be a $1.8M increase from his current salary.
    Under the new CBA you can only do a sign and trade with a team under the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade. NYK aren't even close to being under the apron.

Also, Toronto has to play ball in any sign and trade scenario, so we'd be able to demand back whatever assets we want or call off the trade.
    Last edited by Primer; Mon Jan 13th, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with LA is that they have much more uncertainty. They have Kobe, and really nothing else, and Kobe will be old and coming off a string of injuries. They also want to have enough space to offer Kevin Love (or whoever, but lets assume Love) a max deal when he is a free agent, which means they can't throw the bank at Lowry without risking compromising their other future free agent plans. But yeah, I still see them as the main threat for his services.

Still though, a lot can change in the NBA pretty quickly. The main part of the article I agree with is that roughly 3/4+ (very likely 25ish teams) of the league won't have the playing time/opportunity or money to really pursue him.
    They still have to pay Nash $9.7M next year so I'm not sure they'll be hot in the market for a PG. Nash said he has no intention of retiring before his contract is up so that's not an option for LA. Could they afford to have $20M tied up in the PG position when they're already paying Kobe $23.5M?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'd only give Lowry a 5th year if its a team option or with a very small guarantee. He's injury prone and it's only going to get tougher the older he gets. Patterson should get no more than 4 years either, I agree.
    Well I don't think he talks a locked-in 5-year deal. Even players tend to prefer some kind of out after 3 or 4 years at most. And at Lowry's age, he'll probably want to be a free agent again at 30 or 31, so he can hopefully sign another long-term deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    They still have to pay Nash $9.7M next year so I'm not sure they'll be hot in the market for a PG. Nash said he has no intention of retiring before his contract is up so that's not an option for LA. Could they afford to have $20M tied up in the PG position when they're already paying Kobe $23.5M?
    Nash will retire probably. How long can he keep being chronically injured at his age and expect to come back?

Post Thanks / Like

Nash will retire probably. How long can he keep being chronically injured at his age and expect to come back?
    He's not going to retire before his contract is done (and he has 9.7M reasons not to). So he'll be back for one more year after this season.

"No, not at all," Nash said Friday of rumors he is considering calling it a career long before his contract expires at the end of next season. "I don't know where that came from.

"For me, I realize I have about 18 months left of basketball and I want the most out of this that I can possibly get and I don't know if that's going to be one game or the vast majority of what's left, but I have a long life without basketball, so I don't want to give in too soon. I want to try to make the most of this opportunity to play if I can."

Thread Information