Thread: TOR-GS, TOR-POR Trades

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TOR-POR, TOR-GS-ATL-HOU Trades

Hey everyone, first post..hope it's not too bad haha.

1st trade - Toronto and Portland

To Toronto: CJ McCollum, Meyers Leonard
    To Portland: Terrence Ross, Austin Daye

The latest Grantland podcast gave me this idea. Jalen Rose mentioned how the Blazers have been doing well without CJ McCollum, so why not explore any possible trades with him. Terry Stotts looks like he prefers Joel Freeland over Meyers Leonard. As much as I don't want to trade T-Ross (he shut down Paul George), he gets to go back home and play for his hometown, and on a very good team. He also fits in with Portland's rain 3's offense.

4 team trade TOR-GS-ATL-HOU

To Toronto: Harrison Barnes, Dennis Schroeder
    To Golden State: Kyle Lowry, Paul Millsap
    To Atlanta: Omer Asik, Donatas Motiejunas
    To Houston: David Lee, ATL 2015 2nd rounder (from Brooklyn), TOR 2017 2nd rounder (from New York)

Been playing around with Trade Machine and made this. This one is pretty complicated, probably wouldn't happen realistically.

Since GS likes Barnes a lot, Lowry may be not enough for them to pull the trigger. David Lee has been mentioned in trade rumours before and GS had supposedly tried trading him during the offseason, one rumour involving trading him here for Bargnani, another to Portland for LaMarcus Aldridge, with neither coming to fruition. Since they've tried trading for Bargnani and LA, it looks like they want a stretch 4 and Paul Millsap comes to mind.

Paul Millsap, like Lee, has also been involved in trade rumours. The biggest trade rumour that Millsap has been in, or the one with the most buzz, was him to Houston for Omer Asik. With this trade, Al Horford can play his natural position at PF, which he played in college.

Houston has also been looking for a PF to play alongside Dwight Howard. David Lee has decent midrange, doesn't shoot 3s but supposedly tried working on it during the offseason (heard this from GS commentators when I watched a random GS game, so take it for what it's worth lol).

So in the end, GS gets Lowry and Millsap, ATL gets Asik and Motiejunas (only added so the trade can work out and I think Houston prefers playing Terrence Jones), HOU gets David Lee and draft picks, and we get Harrison Barnes and Dennis Schroeder.

The only problem is David Lee's contract, which is why I added both ATL's 2015 2nd rounder, and TOR's 2017 2nd rounder to the Houston side to sweeten the deal, since Daryl Morey likes to stockpile assets. Also, David Lee's defense..unless Dwight Howard is good enough to even it out. Is this still enough for them to agree to take David Lee? And would Atlanta give up Schroeder? They do get an interesting prospect in Motiejunas. They could be desperate with Al Horford being out for the season.

With these trades, Atlanta, Houston, and Golden State look roughly like this:

Curry/Lowry
    Thompson/Curry
    Iguodala/Green
    Millsap/Speights
    Bogut/O'Neal/Ezeli

Lin/Beverly/Brooks
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi/Brewer
    Lee/Jones
    Howard

Teague/Mack
    Korver/Williams
    Carroll/Korver
    Horford/Motiejunas
    Asik/Antic

and finally, the Raptors look like this:

Schroeder/Vasquez
    DeRozan/McCollum/Fields
    Barnes/Salmons/Novak
    Amir/2Pat/Hansbrough/Hayes
    Jonas/Leonard

With the loss of Lowry and Ross, we gain four prospects in Schroeder, McCollum, Leonard, and Barnes. With Schroeder, McCollum could primarily come off the bench as our backup SG/sixth man. His versatility being able to run point would be very useful in case Schroeder or Vasquez were to go down. Barnes is our much needed SF for the future, and Leonard would be a very solid backup to Jonas. One problem with these trades though, is we would have a crowded frontcourt with Jonas/Amir/Patterson/Hansbrough/Hayes/Leonard. Patterson is an expiring so Masai could just let him walk at the end of the season.

Another way that 4 way trade can happen is Motiejunas coming to Toronto instead of Atlanta. I guess Atlanta could get a pick in exchange for Schroeder, and they do have a bunch of PFs already. Or Aaron Brooks can also be traded to Atlanta since Patrick Beverley is coming back.

Motiejunas is 7'0 so he can be Jonas' not undersized backup, who can also shoot 3s, which fits in with the offense we run now. If this were to happen the first trade with Portland doesn't even have to happen and the Raptors would end up looking like this:

Schroeder/Vasquez
    DeRozan/Ross/Fields
    Barnes/Salmons/Novak
    Amir/2Pat/Hansbrough/Hayes
    Jonas/Motiejunas

We still get a loaded frontcourt but Motiejunas looks like a taller Patterson, so we could end up with the same frontcourt rotation after this season except with Motiejunas replacing Patterson if Masai decides not to bring him back. (Amir/Jonas/Motiejunas/Hansbrough, with Hayes being used sparingly) Motiejunas is also Lithuanian so Jonas and the Lithuanian Raptors fans would be happy lol.

Thanks for reading!

edit: added TOR-GS-ATL-HOU 4 team trade
    Last edited by Trillhouse; Sat Jan 11th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnes would be too rich for a backup for GS to part with (unless Curry goes down)

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Samiam wrote: View Post
    Barnes would be too rich for a backup for GS to part with (unless Curry goes down)
    Iggy and Thompson pretty much have the wings locked down. With Curry's injury history I think a backup PG holds more value to them then a backup wing. Plus they could always play 2 PG like they did when Jack was there to help wing depth.

These trades aren't bad, some of the better ones I've seen on the forums. I agree with the OP that losing Lowry worries me even if we get a probable better long term asset. I like the 2nd trade though. Leonard could develop into a solid backup C which we haven't really had(don't know if we really need him as we already have a 4 big rotation though) and although Ross may be better than McCollum, CJ won't be a scrub. Not sure if I'd actually do the trades but one of the better ones I've seen.

4. Like Trillhouse liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The 1st one is probably unrealistic....Maybe if we sent them a pick too.

The 2nd one...I don't know, I prefer Ross over McCollum or Leonard. I wouldn't trade a guy who's developing into a starting wing mid-40s %3pt shooter with great D for a backup C and a rookie combo guard who hasn't proven anything yet (and I think McCollum is probably a bench player in this league).

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

added a 3rd trade

^ edit: oh yeah, sending a pick with lowry would be more realistic and easier than this complicated as hell 4 team trade i just made lol
    Last edited by Trillhouse; Sat Jan 11th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't think Atlanta would give up Millsap+Dennis Sch. for Asik+Motiejunas.

But if Atlanta did want to give that up, then Houston should just take that deal and run. No reason for Houston to include Toronto and GSW in this trade. Millsap+Dennis Sch. > David Lee+some second rounders.

In general, this deal moves Lowry for Harrison Barnes and Dennis Sch. That looks way too much. Lowry is a good player but he's a likely rental. It's much better than what Chicago got for Deng.

Thread Information