Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Yes we are

Who is above us ? San Antonio , OKC, Heat and Indiana ??
    Portland?

Golden State?

Clippers?

Houston?

Dallas?

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      I just want you guys to agree with me that everyones having career years
      Just in terms of Ross and Val: this is at the very least the new normal. Actually, no, wait - it's only going to get better

*Edit* Well, maybe not Ross' 3pt shooting.
      Last edited by JimiCliff; Mon Jan 13, 2014, 01:34 PM.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Alright how much $$$ would we have if we renounced everyone we could minus Project Pat and didn't resign Lowry?

I'm not saying HOLY SHIT I HATE LOWRY DIE DIE DIE i'm just interested is all
        $48.39M in committed contracts, plus the cap hold for the team's 1st round draft pick (dependent on draft spot).

As Primer said, the team would likely have about $8M of cap space available.

The depth chart would look like this (excluding the 1st round pick):

C: Valanciunas, Hayes
        PF: Johnson, Patterson
        SF: DeRozan, Novak
        SG: Ross, Fields
        PG: -

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          $48.39M in committed contracts, plus the cap hold for the team's 1st round draft pick (dependent on draft spot).

As Primer said, the team would likely have about $8M of cap space available.

The depth chart would look like this (excluding the 1st round pick):

C: Valanciunas, Hayes
          PF: Johnson, Patterson
          SF: DeRozan, Novak
          SG: Ross, Fields
          PG: -
          hmm not that much. we really need to work on flipping novak and (somehow) fields
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The one thing I would put out there for people to think about, and maybe it's just being optimistic, but come playoff time, if the Raptors have jelled enough to the point where we are a legitimate top 7 or 8 defense, then I don't doubt we can beat anyone not named Miami or San Antonio.

We've always played Indiana well, and they aren't exactly a scoring dynamo. If it's a war of attrition I would put my money on our defense limiting their scoring just enough to out score them ourselves because we spread our scoring out so well between everyone.

It's going to take a solid defense though to win in the playoffs and that's why I'm intrigued about how good Casey can get this team to be. Pretty impressive considering our starting Centre is still getting benched for missing defensive assignments, our small forward is severely undersized, and our SG is a sub par defender (though has stepped it up, as of late), and to boot 3 of our main bench guys have only been with the team for less than 15 games now? Casey deserves credit, but that is for another thread.

Our path in the playoffs will be determined by our D, ... and just as I write this post, I see we've slipped in defensive rankings on nba.com to 13th....fak..
            Last edited by Mediumcore; Mon Jan 13, 2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Big issue too though is experience. Not a lot of the guys, key guys especially, have much if any playoff experience. It doesn't really matter how good you are during the regular season, playoffs are a different beast.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

hmm not that much. we really need to work on flipping novak and (somehow) fields
                If MU is working on any sort of 2/3-year plan, to be truly competitive in the 2015-16 or 2016-17 seasons, everything is looking good from a financial perspective. Hayes & Fields are both assets (ie: expiring contracts) next season, with Novak expiring the following season.

Re-signing Lowry this offseason and then Johnson the following offseason, would be MU seriously committing to a JV/TR/DD/KL/AJ core for the long-term.

Between young players on decent value contracts, expiring deals and some good trade chips, MU is slowly building himself lots of roads to potentially go down.

Comment

that's true enough. the 2014 free agent pool isn't exactly the most appetizing.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    That's ridiculous. Lowry has played like this in the past. DeMar has just gotten better just like a 24 year old is suppose too. Ross is doing what he was advertised to be able to do with he got drafted. No one is really playing out of their minds. This level of play is sustainable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    doubtful. for example pattersons numbers are nowhere near sustainable. right now hes shooting better 3point fg% than steve nash's numbers, ray allen, korver etc etc.

sure lowry has played like this in the past. hes also had long stretches where he HASN'T played like this for a while.

Comment

I think after years of losing everyone is having a hard time committing themselves to beleive this team might legitimately good. I'm enjoying the winning now, but it's going to take until after the all star game for me to beleive this team could possibly contend anytime in the near future.
                      Nailed it. We're extremely pessimistic fans, I must say though, I do believe in the team right now, it'll just be nice to have the confirmation after the all-star break.

Comment

Big issue too though is experience. Not a lot of the guys, key guys especially, have much if any playoff experience. It doesn't really matter how good you are during the regular season, playoffs are a different beast.
                        That's a good point, but Detroit minus J-Smoove is inexperienced, ditto Washington, and I would expect Chicago to miss the playoffs with either Boston, Charlotte or Clevland making their way in. That would be 4 playoff teams in the East (including Toronto) with no experience. Hopefully after the first round the Raptors will have found their sea legs.

Comment

that's true enough. the 2014 free agent pool isn't exactly the most appetizing.
                          Perhaps MU tries to extend Lowry on a front-loaded contract (or one with multiple option years) and re-signs Patterson & Vasquez to short-term deals, similar to his approach this season. That would maintain his flexibility going forward and maintain the trade value of his assets. Not that I expect his dealing to be done...

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            That's a good point, but Detroit minus J-Smoove is inexperienced, ditto Washington, and I would expect Chicago to miss the playoffs with either Boston, Charlotte or Clevland making their way in. That would be 4 playoff teams in the East (including Toronto) with no experience. Hopefully after the first round the Raptors will have found their sea legs.
                            Nene & Ariza provide some experience for Washington. Cleveland (Deng, Jack, Varejao) and Charlotte (Jefferson) both have some playoff experience as well.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post

We've always played Indiana well, and they aren't exactly a scoring dynamo. If it's a war of attrition I would put my money on our defense limiting their scoring just enough to out score them ourselves because we spread our scoring out so well between everyone.
                              I think Indiana could beat the Heat this year. Granger is giving them bench scoring. Stephenson is playing really well - should be an allstar this year. Scola is an upgrade over #50. Yeah, we played them well - I was at the game on Jan 1st and lost my voice... but we're a long way behind the Pacers at this point.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Perhaps MU tries to extend Lowry on a front-loaded contract (or one with multiple option years) and re-signs Patterson & Vasquez to short-term deals, similar to his approach this season. That would maintain his flexibility going forward and maintain the trade value of his assets. Not that I expect his dealing to be done...
                                I wouldn't be surprised if MU used the stretch provision on Fields. His expiring contract will still have little value. You can bring his cap commitment down from $6.25M to around $2M for the next 3 years.

That's an extra saving of about $4M off the cap in case they are interested in a significant free agent. Although I don't think MU is in a hurry to contend.

Comment

Working...
                                X