Thread: Rule Proposal

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rule Proposal

I'm tired of players being scared to shoot halfcourt/fullcourt shots during the ending seconds of a quarter because they don't want to ruin their field goal percentage.

This may sound stupid but I think last second shoots beyond the halfcourt line should not count as a field goal. It doesn't change too much of the game and could bring a little bit more highlights into the reels and cause popularity and interest. Why not?

Let me know your opinions or if you have any reasons why this would be a bad idea. I haven't really done any research or whatsoever but it's just an idea.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a very whatever rule. Who really cares if this rule gets implemented or not. And I wouldn't say that they are afraid to shoot because it'll hurt their stats. We just saw two half-court buzzer-beaters on Sunday, so I'm pretty sure the NBA has more rules that much rather implement and look into than this...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing about that observation is that the actual impact over a season surely would be small. I'll use Demar for example, since he's near the top of the leage in FGA. Right now he's on pace to take around 1450 shots over 82 games. He makes about 42%. If he shot and missed 40 half court end-of-quarter shots (around 1 every other game) his FG% would drop about 1%. Over the season, if he makes just 17 more of his regular shots, the difference is eliminated.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time I see people pass up the long bomb is at the end of the game when their team is winning.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    The only time I see people pass up the long bomb is at the end of the game when their team is winning.
    I see it happen other times to, or atleast what seems to be. The other day Demar got the ball with 2 seconds left at the end of the quarter, kind of did a pseudo fake shot... waited.. then fired the ball off after the buzzer went. Not saying he did this consciously or while worrying about his %s, but I think there is some merit to the OPs ideas.

That said, I think its largely irrelevant. Its going to have a marginal impact over a season at best, and those are the type of shots teams should be able to discount anyways when they are looking at stats. Every second of a game is recorded (on tape and on paper) so its hardly a challenge to review 'bombs' to end a quarter.

For a fan reviewing numbers it may be different to seperate FGAs, but for a team it should really be meaningless.

To be honest though I think not firing off those shots is a stupid choice... an opportunity > no opportunity when the worst possible outcome is the same.

Thread Information