Thread: Game #37: Toronto Raptors 83 - Boston Celtics 88

Raptors Republic Rookie MoscowRussia's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good old Raps...
    No new friends (c)

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Sorry, I had missed this first reply of yours. I'm not sure why you responded to my post twice, several hours apart, with increasing hostility.

I totally get what you're saying about playoff experience being valuable to a team, but that's really only if the team stays together. It's not efficient asset management or team-building, if the team is broken up, especially when the engine that drives the team (Lowry) is the piece that is removed (by walking away as a free agent). My whole point was that all the potential benefits of a relatively successful season would be completely undone, if Lowry walks for nothing in return in the offseason.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "hope you read the entire thread and it's context". I simply responded to a short message you posted here in the game thread, saying something along the lines of "if the Raptors lose in the conference finals and Lowry leaves as a free agent, I'd be ok with that". I was just asking why you'd be ok with that, because it would seem like the worst possible outcome for this season to me. They would have missed a chance to rebuild/retool and **** ahead of the draft, only to be forced into a rebuild/retool by watching Lowry walk for no return... am I missing something?

If this team proves that the post-Gay improvements and success are for real and they continue to improve, I'd be fine with Lowry being re-signed at a reasonable salary. I just don't get how a season in which the team doesn't win the championship, doesn't take advantage of the loaded draft and lets Lowry leave without getting any sort of return, can be considered a good season. You said you'd be fine with that and I just asked you why, because I can't fathom the logic behind being fine with that and was honestly just trying to understand where you're coming from.
    If Raps can extend Lowry but price is high say 10m per year what would you do if you were GM? This is not an unrealistic scenario.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    If Raps can extend Lowry but price is high say 10m per year what would you do if you were GM? This is not an unrealistic scenario.
    It's an impossible scenario. If they extend him (ie lock him up BEFORE he hits free agency) they are limited to offering 7M per year. They can re-sign him for 10M, but not extend him. But doing that risks him walking for nothing.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    It's an impossible scenario. If they extend him (ie lock him up BEFORE he hits free agency) they are limited to offering 7M per year. They can re-sign him for 10M, but not extend him. But doing that risks him walking for nothing.
    Fair enough. My point was extending him now versus waiting and seeing .

Thread Information