Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shouldn't The Raptors Make A Run At LeBron?

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Shouldn't The Raptors Make A Run At LeBron?

Oh boy! Has Grange lost his marbles or do you think the Raptors would actually have a chance in the slightest in convincing James to come north of the border? Leiweke and the MLSE aren't afraid to spend as they showed yesterday with the pair of TFC signings, so if isn't someone like LeBron at least, could they even pursue Durant in the summer of 2016? KD seems a little more feasible between the two considering we should be bonafide & consistent Eastern Conference contenders by then.

How about: anything seems possible? How about: why shouldn't the Toronto Raptors make a run at LeBron James in NBA free agency this summer, with Drake as the point man?

It may not work, but its clear that MLSE has ambitions for all their teams now.

"We made some bold statements when I got here, and some of them are coming true, starting with TFC, MLSE president and chief executive officer Tim Leiweke said on Tim and Sid on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Monday. I dont know how you can be great and aspired to be great if you dont have high standards and goals.
    Watching all of this unfold in person was Toronto Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri. I showed him a tweet I sent out to the effect that if MLSE is spending $100-million on soccer players, its hard to imagine they wont spend into the luxury tax for their NBA team.

Ujiri smiled at the thought, but Leiweke must have been reading his mind.
    Thoughts?

Source - Click here

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see anything wrong with taking a run at him, tho i'm 99% certain he won't sign here.

Durant though...

Build this team the right way the next two seasons through the draft and "tweak trades" and throw everything and the kitchen sink at durant come 2016.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Masai will probably go all in on signing Durant

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Durant guy inspite of my belief that LBJ is the more/better complete player. James just sucks the oxygen out of the room.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The article is really about a new era beginning for MLSE where winning and winning big will be made a priority over short term financial gains. The plan is simple but not easy - spend money now to build elite teams, and over time, you'll make all your money back and hundreds of millions more if you're successful at doing so.

The part about Lebron coming here was just thrown in by Grange to get his page views up. There's a lot of reasons why LBJ is not coming here.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

James has an ETO for this summer, and a PO for the next, so he could be available any of the next 3 summers, assuming the Heat falter and he decides to leave. His "max" salary - ie the salary he will definitely get if he goes elsewhere, as he took a discount last time and I don't see it happening again - would be $20.02M in 2014, $21.62M if he opts out in 2015, or $23.22M if he plays out his contract until 2016. The Raps have no chance at clearing that much cap space this summer, although in theory a S+T is possible.

In terms of clearing cap space to make a straight up run at him in free agency, I currently project the Raps to be able to have about 19M (minus a few million for draft picks) in 2015 and 15M (minus a couple million for draft picks) in 2016. They would need to shed at least one of the current core (Lowry, DD, Ross, Amir, JV, 2Pat) between now and signing a big name free agent to be able to offer their true max.

Durant in 2016 would have a max salary of $21.17M.

7. Like Dr. James Naismith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 we'll have two first round picks, too. S&T for Durant when OKC realizes they aren't going to be able to resign him?
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

You could probably name 30 teams that would like to sign Lebron to a 5-year max deal. Luckily for the heat, they are the only one's with the right to do so. What can anyone offer Lebron that the heat won't trump with an extra year of guaranteed money?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MrBlack wrote: View Post
    You could probably name 30 teams that would like to sign Lebron to a 5-year max deal. Luckily for the heat, they are the only one's with the right to do so. What can anyone offer Lebron that the heat won't trump with an extra year of guaranteed money?
    A championship team around him?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think it's great that we're even discussing this.

12. Like S.R., Uncle_Si, ceez liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lesbireal but Lebron James is the missing piece on this team to become a championship contender. We're still missing that small forward void that Gay left. Ross and Demar have been solid and have done tremendous job but both aren't big enough to hold that fort. Lebron, unlike Gay has a pass first mentality, but he can also score easily at will. Imagine Lebron and Demar football passes, which should be more entertaining since Demar is much younger than wade. Add Ross to the mix being the 6th man.

But yeah, lesbihonest, this is every Raptor fan's dream. Although this is very highly unlikely to happen.

I'm not convinced with Durant, unless he develops a post game, hopefully develop a Nowitzki kind of game due to his size and shooting touch. Yes he is a top 5 player but he could be better. He's a very rich man's Rudy Gay and a much much better player too, but I think he'll stop the ball too as he is that type of player as well like Melo, Kobe, etc. But why not??? Toronto is a better city than friggin Oklahoma city.

Looking forward to this!!!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

LBJ will not come to Toronto. Kevin Durant maybe under right circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    A championship team around him?
    Heat are two time defending champs?

Raptors Republic Starter b2kelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

LeBron James is a winey little bitch, I don't want a culture of entitled massive EGO bitches being fostered here.. LeBron is actually Welsh translating to "fair breasted" - We do not need this boob here.

Source - http://www.ourbabynamer.com/meaning-of-Bron.html

17. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bringing players like KD to Toronto is about more than just winning. It's about expanding the players brand. KD is all about expanding his brand (pretty sure I read somewhere that he does the most commercials in the nba?). For the raptors to land such a player one would think they would have to be owned by a massive rich entertainment comp.....oh wait

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Wade doesn't have knees anymore, Allen has nothing left in the ****, and Bosh is well... Bosh?

Edit: Oops I used the T-word haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Will they still be in 2016? Wade is getting the Shaq, Garnett, Duncan treatment because he's falling apart, and Bosh isn't going to fill the void. Not saying Miami won't make moves to try and improve the roster, but plenty of other teams have better supporting casts than Miami now and will do so in 2016.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Will they still be in 2016? Wade is getting the Shaq, Garnett, Duncan treatment because he's falling apart, and Bosh isn't going to fill the void. Not saying Miami won't make moves to try and improve the roster, but plenty of other teams have better supporting casts than Miami now and will do so in 2016.
    Right. If Lebron was on the Cavs to start the year, then I put my money on the real Cavs to have a better record than the Lebronless-Heat.

Post Thanks / Like

This team must be built so that it has the capacity to swing for the fences via trade or FA, no question about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
    Wade doesn't have knees anymore, Allen has nothing left in the ****, and Bosh is well... Bosh?

Edit: Oops I used the T-word haha
    Haha, I still can't believe that they banned that word. Ridiculous.

Wade's demise has been over exaggerated. He's lost explosiveness but he's still a top player at his position and is more efficient than he ever has been. Bosh is an easy target to clown on but he provides the team with a lot of what is asked from him. How many other third options in the league could give you 37 and 10 when the team's top player leaves the lineup? Not very many. He's probably going to make another all-star team this year, has a good shot to win another title and people outside of Miami will continue to hate on the guy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information