Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shouldn't The Raptors Make A Run At LeBron?

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pursuing a player doesn't come for free even if we don't see a direct or immediate cost.

Lets assume Toronto wants to sign LeBron. That means they need the means of doing it whether its cap space, or if they are over the cap, resources to trade - ie. that Miami would also willingly take - in a sign and trade.

The cost of signing LeBron is anything else that could have been done with that cap space/resouces otherwise.

Now if LeBron signs with the Raptors thats easily worth it, but what if he doesn't? What did Toronto have to do to create the opportunity? What opportunities did they give up to try and create that opportunity?

Its one thing if LeBron is a free agent and Toronto has the resources (or cap space) at the same time by chance. Take a stab at it, if he does great, if not no harm no foul. Its a whole other thing if its done by design, and a player like LeBron with his expected contract and the competition for his services, the only reasonable way you sign him is by planning for it.

So whether Toronto has a legitimate shot at it, has a reasonable chance of doing, absolutely matters. It has to be the very first question one asks.

anything seems possible?
    anything may seem possible. But that doesn't mean it actually is. It also avoids the more important question, is it probable?

NY, the Mecca of basketball, thought it was possible to sign LeBron...

2. Like JawsGT, stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Will they still be in 2016? Wade is getting the Shaq, Garnett, Duncan treatment because he's falling apart, and Bosh isn't going to fill the void. Not saying Miami won't make moves to try and improve the roster, but plenty of other teams have better supporting casts than Miami now and will do so in 2016.
    It's a fair point. A lot of unknowns - mainly what Bosh/Wade will look like in two years and what moves the Heat may make leading up to then to supplement the roster around LBJ.

I think the Miami weather, Lebron's business ventures (part owner of an MLS team in Miami and his wife just opened a restaurant there recently), his relationship with Riley and Arison (and Spoelstra to a lesser extent), and loyalty to guys like Wade could help the Heat's cause as well. He's also going to know that wherever he ends up, players will be coming to him to play (especially if it's a destination like Miami)... so I don't think it's as important for him to choose the right roster to join.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    The article is really about a new era beginning for MLSE where winning and winning big will be made a priority over short term financial gains. The plan is simple but not easy - spend money now to build elite teams, and over time, you'll make all your money back and hundreds of millions more if you're successful at doing so.

The part about Lebron coming here was just thrown in by Grange to get his page views up. There's a lot of reasons why LBJ is not coming here.
    Wait a minute. Why does LBJ coming here sounds so far fetched? He owns the American market and has a chance to own another market - not a city but a country!!! Think about that.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    A championship team around him?
    It's probably fairly irrational that the heat would max Lebron and then make no effort to have any other talent around him.

6. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why shouldn't Letter N ask Bar Rafaeli out on a date?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Wait a minute. Why does LBJ coming here sounds so far fetched? He owns the American market and has a chance to own another market - not a city but a country!!! Think about that.
    He probably thinks of Canada as a nice little town. A lot of Americans do.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    So you don't think it's far fetched that he comes to Toronto next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Why shouldn't Bar Rafaeli ask Letter N out on a date? That's the question.

11. Like NoPropsneeded, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Miami fan browsing through this thread would be falling off his/her chair.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

13. Like chch166, JawsGT, Jclaw, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MrBlack wrote: View Post
    It's probably fairly irrational that the heat would max Lebron and then make no effort to have any other talent around him.
    Agree, I was just answering what other teams can offer LeBron that Miami can't. It's not to say that Miami won't be able to put talent around him, but Wade is someone they almost HAVE to sign because the guy is a hero in Miami, so that is one max contract (LBJ) and a near max (Wade). They can send Bosh on his way and go shopping, but those other teams out there already have talented players on their roster which Miami doesn't.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that he wants to sign with Toronto, but I don't think it's cut and dry that he would resign with Miami.

Post Thanks / Like

"Why shouldn't the Phoenix Coyotes make a run at Sidney Crosby?"
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

16. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Any Miami fan browsing through this thread would be falling off his/her chair.
    no more than any rational raps fan did.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

18. Like CalgaryRapsFan, Sig, Letter N, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that KD is a lot more realistic, although their is also very slim chances. He said before that his dream as a teen was to play for the Raptors. Also, LeBron is getting to 30 this year. I know that he's LeBron James, but I'd rather go with a guy like KD who's 4 years younger and have a better reputation and that already said he wanted to come to Toronto.

Durant is averaging 30 points, 8 boards, 5 assists, 1.5 steal and 1 block as we talk. And he also will be more hungry than LeBron.

Post Thanks / Like

If we were to capture lightning in a bottle (and lure LeBron), the best part wouldn't be the multiple championships. It would be the look on Bosh's face.

21. Like bounty, avocado, Letter N, JRedmond14 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If we were to capture lightning in a bottle (and lure LeBron), the best part wouldn't be the multiple championships. It would be the look on Bosh's face.
    Yea that would be a good look. Here is to hoping they aren't a package deal

Post Thanks / Like

If management and ownership are as serious about championships as they say the are (and I think they are), then the Raps need a top 5 (top 10 minimum) player. That's a simple fact of the NBA. I think it's ridiculous to write-off these aspirations as ridiculous. TL wants to swing for the fences, guys, and Ujiri's got a green-light than I'm not sure any Raps GM has had before.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I came, I saw, I ... I ... lold.

You probably haven't noticed that almost every time Lebron plays in Toronto he's making fun of the team in some way? You think that's a sign of respect?

#FREE

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lebron and Durant can be free agents at the same time.. we should sign them both in 2016.

Raptors Republic All-Star e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Shouldn't The Raptors Make A Run At LeBron?

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    If you have Bar Rafaeli's number and you're not asking her out on a date then give it to me cause I'll make better use of it.

In all seriousness, why not? The worst she could say is not and in that scenario, a no is pretty much expected. A lot more reward than risk there
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Raptors Republic All-Star KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    I came, I saw, I ... I ... lold.

You probably haven't noticed that almost every time Lebron plays in Toronto he's making fun of the team in some way? You think that's a sign of respect?

How does that disrespect Toronto?
    That was nasty right? I cocked that joint back and banged on 'em.
    -Real OG Jimmy J

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information