Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: When It Comes To Lowry, Eating Crow Isn't So Bad After All.

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Wiggins wrote: View Post
    Anyone is on their best behaviour right before they get paid. Sorry don't believe. Sell high.
    Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, Kyle has changed for good?

    It's harder to accept this because of the contract year and such, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

    Besides, you probably want to sell high so we can give Vasquez 2 years, 70 million.
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Wed Jan 15th, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Pill wrote: View Post
    I have been very lukewarm on Kyle since he came over because I didn't pay attention to what he did before I only know what he has done since he got here. Outside of the first 3 games and this last stretch of games he has been fairly mediocre with flashes of greatness. He has stopped doing all the things that bothered me with his game. He is no longer a gambler on defense like he was. He now plays within the defense that the coaching staff has been pushing since they were put in place. He also is not as reckless driving to the net when there is nothing there. He now takes what is there and when its not he attempts to make plays for his team mates. He has also had the ability since we started winning to make a big shot when the other team is making a run or starting to come on strong that usually ignites our team and then we end up on a run as a result.

    As you say I hope this is a full time thing and not just a contract year thing.
    If MU extended Lowry mid-season we would find out. I wonder if that plays into the mindset of MU?

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    If MU extended Lowry mid-season we would find out. I wonder if that plays into the mindset of MU?
    Lowry won't accept an extension (limited money and years) so the point is moot.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    it was around three hours ago :'( why they gotta do that to us
    Consider the source.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Lowry won't accept an extension (limited money and years) so the point is moot.
    I disagree. I think the subject has yet to be discussed.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I disagree. I think the subject has yet to be discussed.
    The question is, why would Lowry accept an extension mid-season, when he could get more money (and a longer contract) in free agency this summer?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, Kyle has changed for good?

    It's harder to accept this because of the contract year and such, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

    Besides, you probably want to sell high so we can give Vasquez 2 years, 70 million.
    Sorry i don't discount 8 yrs of mediocre play for a few good games vs mostly pretty horrible/injured teams.
    If you'd want Lowry for 2 years 140 or 210 million then yes.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I disagree. I think the subject has yet to be discussed.
    Really? He is limited to 7M per year over 3 years if he signs an extension. Even if he wanted to stay, and wanted to give the Raps a discount (7M per year is way under his value right now) - he would still not extend as he can sign for 5 years instead of 3 in the off-season.

  9. Like Just Is, Fully, Dr. James Naismith liked this post
  10. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Really? He is limited to 7M per year over 3 years if he signs an extension. Even if he wanted to stay, and wanted to give the Raps a discount (7M per year is way under his value right now) - he would still not extend as he can sign for 5 years instead of 3 in the off-season.
    Agreed. However there is one overridding possibility (remote in my view but cannot be entirely discounted) that Lowry might be risk averse because of an injury occurrence and go for an extension.

  11. #50
    Raptors Republic Starter Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, Kyle has changed for good?

    It's harder to accept this because of the contract year and such, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

    Besides, you probably want to sell high so we can give Vasquez 2 years, 70 million.
    I think you've kind of made his point for him though. Is it possible that Lowry has turned the corner for good? Yup, absolutely. But that must also mean that it's possible that this is all a contract year push, which would make it a pretty big risk for the Raptors to be the ones to sign him to a 4-year/$40 million dollar deal or whatever this summer.

    He's certainly been convincing over the past 2 months, but that's kind of the whole point with contract year surges. If it wasn't convincing then no one would be considering giving him big money, and we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

    Here are the facts:
    - Lowry never showed up to camp in the type of shape he did this year
    - His entire career has been plagued with various injuries (could be attributed to his poor conditioning in the past)
    - He's played at a high level at various points during his career but never for an entire season (not even close really)
    - He's compiled a pretty long rap sheet of clashing with coaches and teammates during his 8 year career (including some rumblings out of Toronto last season)

    Is it merely a coincidence that he finally put all these things behind him at the exact same time that he has the most to gain financially? Like you said, it's possible. But it's also possible that we see something closer to years 1 through 7 when he gets his pay day.
    Last edited by Fully; Thu Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.

  12. Like ceez liked this post
  13. #51
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I think you've kind of made his point for him though. Is it possible that Lowry has turned the corner for good? Yup, absolutely. But that must also mean that it's possible that this is all a contract year push, which would make it a pretty big risk for the Raptors to be the ones to sign him to a 4-year/$40 million dollar deal or whatever this summer.

    He's certainly been convincing over the past 2 months, but that's kind of the whole point with contract year surges. If it wasn't convincing then no one would be considering giving him big money, and we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

    Here are the facts:
    - Lowry never showed up to camp in the type of shape he did this year
    - His entire career has been plagued with various injuries (could be attributed to his poor conditioning in the past)
    - He's played at a high level at various points during his career but never for an entire season (not even close really)
    - He's compiled a pretty long rap sheet of clashing with coaches and teammates during his 8 year career (including some rumblings out of Toronto last season)

    Is it merely a coincidence that he finally put all these things behind him at the exact same time that he has the most to gain financially? Like you said, it's possible. But it's also possible that we see something closer to years 1 through 7 when he gets his pay day.
    Agreed. And if this was happening in a vacuum, MU would be able to talk him down and maybe sign him to a more modest deal - say 3yrs/$23 million. But it's not- and here's the problem- some team will offer him that 4yr/$40million and if the raptors want to keep him, they'll have to match.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •