Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When It Comes To Lowry, Eating Crow Isn't So Bad After All.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I disagree. I think the subject has yet to be discussed.
    The question is, why would Lowry accept an extension mid-season, when he could get more money (and a longer contract) in free agency this summer?

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, Kyle has changed for good?

It's harder to accept this because of the contract year and such, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Besides, you probably want to sell high so we can give Vasquez 2 years, 70 million.
      Sorry i don't discount 8 yrs of mediocre play for a few good games vs mostly pretty horrible/injured teams.
      If you'd want Lowry for 2 years 140 or 210 million then yes.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
        I disagree. I think the subject has yet to be discussed.
        Really? He is limited to 7M per year over 3 years if he signs an extension. Even if he wanted to stay, and wanted to give the Raps a discount (7M per year is way under his value right now) - he would still not extend as he can sign for 5 years instead of 3 in the off-season.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Really? He is limited to 7M per year over 3 years if he signs an extension. Even if he wanted to stay, and wanted to give the Raps a discount (7M per year is way under his value right now) - he would still not extend as he can sign for 5 years instead of 3 in the off-season.
          Agreed. However there is one overridding possibility (remote in my view but cannot be entirely discounted) that Lowry might be risk averse because of an injury occurrence and go for an extension.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
            Why is it so hard to accept that maybe, just maybe, Kyle has changed for good?

It's harder to accept this because of the contract year and such, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Besides, you probably want to sell high so we can give Vasquez 2 years, 70 million.
            I think you've kind of made his point for him though. Is it possible that Lowry has turned the corner for good? Yup, absolutely. But that must also mean that it's possible that this is all a contract year push, which would make it a pretty big risk for the Raptors to be the ones to sign him to a 4-year/$40 million dollar deal or whatever this summer.

He's certainly been convincing over the past 2 months, but that's kind of the whole point with contract year surges. If it wasn't convincing then no one would be considering giving him big money, and we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

Here are the facts:
            - Lowry never showed up to camp in the type of shape he did this year
            - His entire career has been plagued with various injuries (could be attributed to his poor conditioning in the past)
            - He's played at a high level at various points during his career but never for an entire season (not even close really)
            - He's compiled a pretty long rap sheet of clashing with coaches and teammates during his 8 year career (including some rumblings out of Toronto last season)

Is it merely a coincidence that he finally put all these things behind him at the exact same time that he has the most to gain financially? Like you said, it's possible. But it's also possible that we see something closer to years 1 through 7 when he gets his pay day.
            Last edited by Fully; Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
              I think you've kind of made his point for him though. Is it possible that Lowry has turned the corner for good? Yup, absolutely. But that must also mean that it's possible that this is all a contract year push, which would make it a pretty big risk for the Raptors to be the ones to sign him to a 4-year/$40 million dollar deal or whatever this summer.

He's certainly been convincing over the past 2 months, but that's kind of the whole point with contract year surges. If it wasn't convincing then no one would be considering giving him big money, and we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

Here are the facts:
              - Lowry never showed up to camp in the type of shape he did this year
              - His entire career has been plagued with various injuries (could be attributed to his poor conditioning in the past)
              - He's played at a high level at various points during his career but never for an entire season (not even close really)
              - He's compiled a pretty long rap sheet of clashing with coaches and teammates during his 8 year career (including some rumblings out of Toronto last season)

Is it merely a coincidence that he finally put all these things behind him at the exact same time that he has the most to gain financially? Like you said, it's possible. But it's also possible that we see something closer to years 1 through 7 when he gets his pay day.
              Agreed. And if this was happening in a vacuum, MU would be able to talk him down and maybe sign him to a more modest deal - say 3yrs/$23 million. But it's not- and here's the problem- some team will offer him that 4yr/$40million and if the raptors want to keep him, they'll have to match.
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
              X