• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-vince-carter/

Vince Carter: The Re-imagination of VC.

Cant wait for this.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I was just looking at that too, TRex. I wonder if Vince Carter and T-Mac have any role to play in the re-branding of the Toronto Raptors. If not a role but at least are they names that TL and Sid Lee are considering as players that defined this franchise. You can lump Chris Bosh in there too.

Hear me out.. I know these guys weren't the greatest Raptors from a trustworthy side, but from a basketball side they were our best. If you think about the great historic franchises out there, they have several stars that they embrace and keep around for either nostalgic reasons or just to remember the glory days. Sure, we have no "GLORY" days like some franchises, but it doesn't hurt to remember when we were great (relatively speaking). The only guy I can think of that we've really kept around is Alvin Williams. He was a good player, but from an NBA-standpoint.. just regular.

Or do you think it's better to start anew? I think at some point you have to look back and say Hey, this team has been around for almost 20 years and we are proud of our accomplishments! Thoughts? (Or am I about to get flamed by the VC/T-Mac/Bosh haters?).
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-vince-carter/

Vince Carter: The Re-imagination of VC.

Cant wait for this.
        I'm actually looking forward to this too. Might help me sort out my feelings on Vince lol. And it's sportsnet, isn't that owned by Bell or Rodgers? Could be a prelude to getting VC back on this roster in the near future maybe?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Umm...you do make it in for being popular. There is a "contribution to the game" section, and Vince really helped the game maintain a high profile after Jordan left the Bulls. I'm pretty sure (tried to find a story/link, but can't) he was the biggest attendance draw in the league.

And something to consider with comparing scorers across different teams/eras....Nique got to take a lot of shots on those Hawks teams which lacked other great players. In the 10 straight 26+ scoring years he had (technically wrong since one of those years was 25.9), he never averaged less than 20.2 FGA per game. Vince never averaged more than 22.1 FGA per game, and only over 20 FGA attempts 5 times (including twice just at 20), whereas Nique got to average 20+ attempts for all 10 of those years, and only twice below 21 attempts, most years being from 22-25 attempts. So if Vince got to jack up more shots and inflate his scoring average, he'd be on par with Dominique? Who has also never led a team deep in the playoffs? And also is basically in the Hall for being one of the most exciting players/scorer of his era?
          I just want to say that Dominique Wilkens wasn't exactly rushed in either..... That being said Vince played on Toronto for what 7 years out of what will be a 16 year career? And because for 3 or 4 years in that span people wanted to see him he should make the hall of fame?

Look if he makes it, it will be because the voters think that a dunk contest performance and one Olympic dunk was important enough to put him in

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
            I'm actually looking forward to this too. Might help me sort out my feelings on Vince lol. And it's sportsnet, isn't that owned by Bell or Rodgers? Could be a prelude to getting VC back on this roster in the near future maybe?
            Lol. That's a bit of a stretch. Interesting nevertheless.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              I don't know any other NBA player's middle name, so there's that. That puts him over the top, right?
              Christopher Wesson Bosh
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• I think if Vince got into the Hall of Fame it should be for the Raptors. If we are to retire his I would be on the fence. I completely understand what he did for Toronto. He started a movement. But how can you really retire a guys jersey after faking injuiries, not trying purposely and ADMITTING it, forcing his way out of Toronto, and crippling the Raptors and the persona that Players don't want to play in Toronto. So thats why I am on the fence. I watched those games where he sat on the bench laughing and joking around when he was "injuired" but I also say the amazing clutch winning baskets and the battle between him and iverson. Sigh.. help me DECIDE!

Comment

• No way this guy is hall of fame material. That is setting the bar really, really, really low. Does he get the Iverson treatment and get his jersey retired? ya, maybe. He was definitely a very high calibre player when he played on the raps but I wouldn't consider him a HoFer. Lets wait to retire someone more important first before jumping the gun on VC.

Comment

• JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                    Does he get the Iverson treatment and get his jersey retired? ya, maybe.
                    Iverson won the MVP, led his team to the Finals, was a 2-time All-Star MVP, 4-time scoring champ, 2-time All NBA 1st-team and led the league in steals 3 times. Don't compare him to Carter.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                      Iverson won the MVP, led his team to the Finals, was a 2-time All-Star MVP, 4-time scoring champ, 2-time All NBA 1st-team and led the league in steals 3 times. Don't compare him to Carter.
                      Carter was Slam Dunk CHAMP! dont be so disrespectful!

I rest my case..

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        Carter was Slam Dunk CHAMP! dont be so disrespectful!

I rest my case..
                        If winning a dunk contest is the top achievement on his resume, I think it's safe to say he has absolutely no shot at the HOF.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          If winning a dunk contest is the top achievement on his resume, I think it's safe to say he has absolutely no shot at the HOF.
                          Pretty sure some guys have got in there for less.

Comment

Pretty sure some guys have got in there for less.
                            You're probably right. I find all the HOF have become far too lenient in their criteria for accepting new members in general - especially average/slightly above average players who have enjoyed much longer careers (thanks to modern medicine, health & nutrition, trainers, etc...) and therefore have bloated stats, without ever having been truly dominant and/or influential players.

VC definitely helped improve the public standing of an expansion franchise, but he never really accomplished anything significant. After he signed his first big contract, he never really even seemed to dominate games the way he did early on. He was a #1 scoring option on good teams for many years (and has never been asked to do anything but score), so his scoring numbers are inflated, but he shouldn't really be HOF-worthy.

Comment

• I agree I don't think hes Hall Of Fame worthy but If Toronto wants to retire his jersey and sign him for a victory lap im all for it. I think at the very least Toronto should honor him, if he is a HoFr then its easier to get into than a Mcdonalds.

Comment

I agree I don't think hes Hall Of Fame worthy but If Toronto wants to retire his jersey and sign him for a victory lap im all for it. I think at the very least Toronto should honor him, if he is a HoFr then its easier to get into than a Mcdonalds.
                                As I said in the other VC thread, the only reason I'd be interested in the Raptors bringing VC back into the fold (as a player and/or ambassador) is if it helps lure Durant as a free agent in 2016!

Comment

Working...
                                X