Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Demar Derozan one of NBA.com's "Below-the-Radar All-Stars"

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    That's just plain stupid. The all-star game is about the players. It's not about the coaches, GMs and organizations which factors heavily into wins. Is it fair to penalize a player because his owner is James Dolan?
    No. The Allstar game is about the fans. What fan cares about a player on a sub .500 team outside the playoff race?

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,029
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    what players were playing at an all-star calibre last season for the raptors? NONE
    jose had comparable stats last year.

    i think it could be argued a legitimate allstar in the east this year would have a better team record than the magic have

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,029
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    affalo aside. unless a player is doing some incredible, for example t-mac with orlando, players from winning teams should take preference.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Etobicoke<3
    Posts
    2,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    jose had comparable stats last year.

    i think it could be argued a legitimate allstar in the east this year would have a better team record than the magic have
    ohmaGod jose :'(
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    jose had comparable stats last year.

    i think it could be argued a legitimate allstar in the east this year would have a better team record than the magic have
    comparable? last year, his numbers were lower than his 2008 peak years. and he doesnt have the same impact on games like say, jrue holiday does, despite those two having similar numbers last year. calderons assist numbers were beat by VASQUEZ of all people last year and i dont think anyone would ever talk about vasquez being an all-star ever.

    grasping at straws to say calderon could have been an all star if we were .500 last year.

  6. Like Letter N liked this post
  7. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,029
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    comparable? last year, his numbers were lower than his 2008 peak years. and he doesnt have the same impact on games like say, jrue holiday does, despite those two having similar numbers last year. calderons assist numbers were beat by VASQUEZ of all people last year and i dont think anyone would ever talk about vasquez being an all-star ever.

    grasping at straws to say calderon could have been an all star if we were .500 last year.
    not saying he could have or should have at all. saying affalo shouldn't be considered. i'm saying that your argument of us having no right to be upset at sub 500 teams having all stars who aren't doing anything besides leading a bad team to a bad record is wrong. we have had players put up comparable, not better, numbers as to what is considered all star level and havent had an all star in 5 years. now our team has two that should play in the game and we might have to be happy with only one because affalo plays on a garbage team and leads them in scoring.

  8. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    News flash: we are barely a .500 team right now and we're already mocking other players from sub .500 teams? Yeesh.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    News flash: there are only 4 teams above .500 in the east.

    Btw even frank Vogel said the all stars can be chosen from sub .500 teams, but plus .500 teams should get more consideration, hence lowry and did should get in.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

  9. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rapfan10 wrote: View Post
    News flash: there are only 4 teams above .500 in the east.

    Btw even frank Vogel said the all stars can be chosen from sub .500 teams, but plus .500 teams should get more consideration, hence lowry and did should get in.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    uhhh no shit. try reading the thread before replying.

  10. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jangles wrote: View Post
    What does being an all-star really have to do with your record? It's a team game; No player can be the difference between a 50 and 25 win season, minus Lebron. This criteria would just eliminate good players on bad teams.
    I think that being sub .500 shouldn't always impact consideration of whether you are an All Star or not, but you have to take into consideration that okay players on bad teams often have inflated stats. Mike James comes to mind. Maybe not as good of an example, because I felt Bosh deserved to be an All Star, but his numbers have dropped considerably since leaving Toronto.

  11. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I thought I read or heard somewhere that this year, they are not picking All Stars by position...meaning they may go with more picks at one position. For example if the coaches feel like there are more PG's than SG's deserving of being in the ASG they will just pick more PG's. Anyone hear anything about that? I could be wrong.

  12. #31
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I thought I read or heard somewhere that this year, they are not picking All Stars by position...meaning they may go with more picks at one position. For example if the coaches feel like there are more PG's than SG's deserving of being in the ASG they will just pick more PG's. Anyone hear anything about that? I could be wrong.
    I believe now the only thing the coaches must choose are "Front Court Players" and "Back Court Players".
    Similar to the voting process.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  13. Like Mediumcore liked this post
  14. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    No. The Allstar game is about the fans. What fan cares about a player on a sub .500 team outside the playoff race?
    I do. I want to see the players who are playing the best. I thought that was the original intention of all-star games. I'm a fan, and I hate seeing other fans vote in un-deserving players. I mean, look at the EC backcourt. Wade is #1 and he's missed a lot of games. Rose is #3 and he's missed even more. Oh, and Rondo is #6 and he hasn't even seen the court. If Yao Ming was still playing (read: injured), he'd still be voted in as a starter by the 'fans'. The fans know squat.

  15. #33
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    No. The Allstar game is about the fans. What fan cares about a player on a sub .500 team outside the playoff race?
    i dunno a lot of players cared about Durant the first couple years he was in the league

    a lot of people care about Kevin Love. or John Wall. or Demarcus Cousins.

    a lot of people cared about Vince even when we weren't good (which was often)

    the point is people care about STARS and the All Star game is a nice way of rewarding players for their play. Granted there's always going to be a couple guys that make the team on name alone (cough MELO cough) but the fact is Affalo is having a fantastic year, arguably better than Demar. So because he's on a poor team he shouldn't be rewarded for playing well? Give your head a shake.
    @jerboat

  16. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  17. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i dunno a lot of players cared about Durant the first couple years he was in the league

    a lot of people care about Kevin Love. or John Wall. or Demarcus Cousins.

    a lot of people cared about Vince even when we weren't good (which was often)

    the point is people care about STARS and the All Star game is a nice way of rewarding players for their play. Granted there's always going to be a couple guys that make the team on name alone (cough MELO cough) but the fact is Affalo is having a fantastic year, arguably better than Demar. So because he's on a poor team he shouldn't be rewarded for playing well? Give your head a shake.
    I agree in principle, it's just that with Afflalo specifically, giving a career "average" player (I think he's a good player, btw, in the sense that he can be a starter on a good team) who's nothing special by all-star standards, and also happens to conspicuously be having his best year on a dreadful team where he gets to be the focal point by default....Yeah, I don't like that. I don't even like the thought that Kyrie Irving could be one just because he's Kyrie Irving, but at least he has all-star talent that visibly shines through in his game.

    On the flip side I hate it when guys get rewarded just for being starters on a good team. For example, the fact that Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis have made all-star games makes me a little sick.

    Coaches can reward success too much, and fans don't stress it enough.

  18. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i dunno a lot of players cared about Durant the first couple years he was in the league

    a lot of people care about Kevin Love. or John Wall. or Demarcus Cousins.

    a lot of people cared about Vince even when we weren't good (which was often)

    the point is people care about STARS and the All Star game is a nice way of rewarding players for their play. Granted there's always going to be a couple guys that make the team on name alone (cough MELO cough) but the fact is Affalo is having a fantastic year, arguably better than Demar. So because he's on a poor team he shouldn't be rewarded for playing well? Give your head a shake.
    Arguably?? Their team records' says there's not much of an argument...It sucks to lose!

    Where have you been? This is always the way its been done. A player on a winning team almost always gets considered over a player on a bad team UNLESS the player is having a way better season. If you look at DD's numbers they are comparable to AA but better in the category that matters (winning).

    No way AA makes it over Demar.....Granted, they may both make it BUT i don't even think AA should get in ahead of Lowry.
    Last edited by special1; Wed Jan 15th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.

  19. Like TRex liked this post
  20. #36
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Right, but the way i see it is Affalo's long been a very good player (better than Derozen) who's shining now that he's true #1 option. He should thus be rewarded for his play.

    I'm not saying that he should be in over Demar, i'm just saying he deserves to be in it.
    @jerboat

  21. #37
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Demar has quietly become the most consistent scorer in the NBA. Hopefully, he can be an all-star. Yet, people are taking notice of his ability and people are finally putting in game plans to stop him (make him go left). In addition, Lowry moves on to the MVP ladder on nba.com at number 10. Teams now respect the Raptors, and they cant "turn it on" in the 4th to beat us. They have to play hard for 48 minutes. So a player on the raptors should be looked at for an all star consideration. Affalo has been a beast this season, along with Milsap, Teague, Johnson, so I can see how Demar could be left out. BTW, check out my article on the Raptors "Drake Night" http://thegatewayonline.ca/article/v...it_for_raptors

  22. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Right, but the way i see it is Affalo's long been a very good player (better than Derozen) who's shining now that he's true #1 option. He should thus be rewarded for his play.

    I'm not saying that he should be in over Demar, i'm just saying he deserves to be in it.
    Very good player? He's been solid, sure. He's also never put up an above-average PER until this year, and never been particularly good at anything other than shooting and D....basically a 3 and D guy who's ok at some other things.

    Just saying it's not like a guy who had brilliant talents that shined through in flashes but never put it together. He's a lunch pail type wing player having his best year. It just doesn't feel right at all to me.

  23. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I agree in principle, it's just that with Afflalo specifically, giving a career "average" player (I think he's a good player, btw, in the sense that he can be a starter on a good team) who's nothing special by all-star standards, and also happens to conspicuously be having his best year on a dreadful team where he gets to be the focal point by default....Yeah, I don't like that. I don't even like the thought that Kyrie Irving could be one just because he's Kyrie Irving, but at least he has all-star talent that visibly shines through in his game.

    On the flip side I hate it when guys get rewarded just for being starters on a good team. For example, the fact that Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis have made all-star games makes me a little sick.

    Coaches can reward success too much, and fans don't stress it enough.
    Lewis made the all-star team when he was in Seattle. you gotta give him credit cause the dude was a sick baller back then, had a really good all around offensive game. He went to the Magic and became a gloriously overpaid 3pt shooter, and that system they employed then kinda made a lot of his skills useless, or at the very least, he just never has the opportunity to use them. Lewis and Allen were mad in Seattle!!

  24. #40
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Cbradley wrote: View Post
    Demar has quietly become the most consistent scorer in the NBA. Hopefully, he can be an all-star. Yet, people are taking notice of his ability and people are finally putting in game plans to stop him (make him go left). In addition, Lowry moves on to the MVP ladder on nba.com at number 10. Teams now respect the Raptors, and they cant "turn it on" in the 4th to beat us. They have to play hard for 48 minutes. So a player on the raptors should be looked at for an all star consideration. Affalo has been a beast this season, along with Milsap, Teague, Johnson, so I can see how Demar could be left out. BTW, check out my article on the Raptors "Drake Night" http://thegatewayonline.ca/article/v...it_for_raptors
    Which Johnson are you talking about? Can't be Joe Johnson.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •