Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If We Don't Retain Lowry This Summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Lowry walks for nothing, it's yet another completely wasted year.

From a long-term perspective, an unextended Lowry is uniquely value-destroying: his value as a contract is rapidly depreciating, while his huge contribution to our success is rapidly depreciating our draft position.

I don't think people fully realize how big a gamble it was to keep him. If he leaves, we are really fucked.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      To answer this question, MU will never, ever get caught with his pants around his ankles. If there's even a whiff of KL wanting to test the waters, he's gone by the Feb. trade deadline.
      r u saying that lowry will be sniffing masai's balls by the pool on valentine's day?

Comment

This is my thinking as well. Lowry is pretty critical to the composition of the starting 5. If they can't resign him or find anyone even comparable at a reasonable value, they should consider cashing their chips in after a strong playoff run. You'd probably get a respectable haul.

DanH wrote: View Post
        Blow it up. Lowry's the engine that drives this thing. Even if the team is as good as it seems of late (with the obvious exception of last night), without Lowry it all falls apart. So if he moves on, trade DD, trade Amir, trade Salmons for a bad contract and a pick, same for Hansbrough, draft BPA with our middling pick and **** hard for next year. A late start, but necessary at that point. With a couple good picks in 2015, hopefully the team looks promising enough (our high pick plus a couple middling-to-late first rounders or prospects from the trades, hopefully solid player from this year's pick, Ross and JV) to lure a max money guy or two to make that jump to the playoffs in time for the 2016 all star game. Or if that's not a concern (I'd bet it is), use 2015 cap space to take a couple shots at RFA's, take another year near the bottom, and blow the real cap room in 2016 on Durant to play with our top picks, prospects, RFA signing, and a mature JV and Ross.

Comment

Lowry should be re-signed during the season or traded. Letting him become a free agent is a very bad idea and could cost the Raptors dearly. In case he refuses to re-sign during the season, I think a package that brings Rondo to Toronto, can be put together.

Knowing Masai's style, re-signing him (Lowry) during the season is a very high possibility.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
            This is my thinking as well. Lowry is pretty critical to the composition of the starting 5. If they can't resign him or find anyone even comparable at a reasonable value, they should consider cashing their chips in after a strong playoff run. You'd probably get a respectable haul.
            Can't trade him after the deadline though. So it's playoff run or trade Lowry - no way to do both.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We all seem very concerned that Lowry may walk, but, what reason or reasons would he not sign a new contract here in the offseason?

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Blow it up. Lowry's the engine that drives this thing. Even if the team is as good as it seems of late (with the obvious exception of last night), without Lowry it all falls apart. So if he moves on, trade DD, trade Amir, trade Salmons for a bad contract and a pick, same for Hansbrough, draft BPA with our middling pick and **** hard for next year. A late start, but necessary at that point. With a couple good picks in 2015, hopefully the team looks promising enough (our high pick plus a couple middling-to-late first rounders or prospects from the trades, hopefully solid player from this year's pick, Ross and JV) to lure a max money guy or two to make that jump to the playoffs in time for the 2016 all star game. Or if that's not a concern (I'd bet it is), use 2015 cap space to take a couple shots at RFA's, take another year near the bottom, and blow the real cap room in 2016 on Durant to play with our top picks, prospects, RFA signing, and a mature JV and Ross.
                Beautiful, I agree with this plan 100%. I sure hope they sign Lowry though, would much rather see this group kept together.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Really high on Ennis but I think he's playing himself into a top 10 pick.
                  I wonder how many players have people posted saying "he's a top 10 pick"....my guess is a lot more than 10. Who would you drop for Ennis to get there? Lottery is a stretch for him. 15-30 is his range and even then it will depend on team needs. Not many teams need a PG in a very PG deep draft.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    We all seem very concerned that Lowry may walk, but, what reason or reasons would he not sign a new contract here in the offseason?
                    If he demands a 5 year $50 Million contract, then he wont be back. Lowry may price himself out of Toronto, as he is still a huge risk (7 years to finally show up to camp in shape?) for a big contract.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      If he demands a 5 year $50 Million contract, then he wont be back. Lowry may price himself out of Toronto, as he is still a huge risk (7 years to finally show up to camp in shape?) for a big contract.
                      That is a reason why MU may not sign him, but not a reason why Lowry wouldn't sign here.

Comment

That is a reason why MU may not sign him, but not a reason why Lowry wouldn't sign here.
                        True, but the thread says "if we don't retain him" therefore both options are in play. Right now, I'd only say 50-50 chance Lowry is back.

Comment

You'd be crazy not to be concerned about that possibility, and plus that was the purpose of this thread. We are discussing our options should Lowry walk.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            You'd be crazy not to be concerned about that possibility, and plus that was the purpose of this thread. We are discussing our options should Lowry walk.
                            I'm aware of all that. And I didn't say I wasn't concerned, in fact I've said the very opposite. Sorry for asking why Lowry wouldn't want to sign here.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              True, but the thread says "if we don't retain him" therefore both options are in play. Right now, I'd only say 50-50 chance Lowry is back.
                              True, but my response was in response to your response of the question I asked, not the question in the thread title. Whatever...

Comment

I'm aware of all that. And I didn't say I wasn't concerned, in fact I've said the very opposite. Sorry for asking why Lowry wouldn't want to sign here.
                                -He gets offered more money elsewhere
                                -He decides he wants to go play in the 'spotlight' somewhere (Lakers and Knicks jump out as two teams that would want him)
                                -He's been here for a year and a half and has lost his starting spot once, was reportedly a Dolan veto away from being traded this year and has clashed with Casey/teammates at times.
                                -Mad that his best friend Rudy got traded away and has become a scapegoat for the team's early failures (rightfully so mind you)

Comment

Working...
                                X