Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What If We Don't Retain Lowry This Summer?

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah those 4 guys were all top six picks and in the case of Iverson and Rose, first overall selections. Big difference between plugging in that type of prospect in your line up and getting a project around the #20 spot and asking him to do the same thing.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Assuming we're out of the lottery and have a mid to late 1st round selection, who do people like as that possible PG that we draft? Outside of the obvious upcoming talents in this summer's draft, I really haven't paid attention to college this year.
    Tyler Ennis
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

3. Like Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually a very scary situation. Considering we are making a push for a third or fourth seed this season, it would be nice to think that we could continue to improve on that and hopefully have a similar, if not better, outcome next year. But without Lowry playing like he is now we could actually be taking a step back next season without other upgrades. If he walks and there is no adequate replacement then the t@nk next season is a real possibility, which begs the question: WTF is the point of this year?

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    This is actually a very scary situation. Considering we are making a push for a third or fourth seed this season, it would be nice to think that we could continue to improve on that and hopefully have a similar, if not better, outcome next year. But without Lowry playing like he is now we could actually be taking a step back next season without other upgrades. If he walks and there is no adequate replacement then the t@nk next season is a real possibility, which begs the question: WTF is the point of this year?
    I agree with the possible ****ing situation, but here's how I see it.

Success this year will increase the value of our players and potentially even produce a couple all stars.

The competition for ****ing this year is incredibly tough, and given the draft class, there's a chance that many of the freshmen don't declare.

There will be some franchises trying to make the leap from lottery to playoffs too quickly. I could easily see the Jazz, the Bucks or the Magic being very intrigued by Derozan if he has a good stretch in the playoffs.

So basically, the point of this year would be to give our young guys a taste of winning, increase the value of our assets, and to plan for ****ing when the competition is less serious.

Of course, all this is only valid if KL walks.
    Last edited by stooley; Thu Jan 16th, 2014 at 01:29 PM.

6. Like chrischris liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Semaj Christon is a guy a few people here were yammering about so i watched a couple games of his and came away really impressed. He's crazy athletic and while he does have some head slapping turnovers it was more because he was trying to do too much than making poor decisions. That can be coached. He started out the season shooting pretty poorly, especially from deep, but he's really picked it up the past few games. I'm a big fan.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not trust Lowry. I am happy he's playing very well right now but I don't trust him. I'm too worried that he'll show up fat next season after signing a big contract. He's 27 years old and has strung together 20-25 games of very solid basketball for the first time in about 3 years. He may be an outlier but history suggests that investing big into this type of inconsistent level of play could cripple us for several years.

That said, the list of unrestricted free agent point guards leaves much to be desired. There are no legitimate starters. From the draft, someone said it's untrue that rookie point guards can't step in right away, but they only gave examples of lottery picks, which we're not likely to have.

Making matters worse, if I'm not mistaken Vasquez contract is up too. Not that he's a viable starter, but at least he's familiar with the system. I would try to minimize the risk by offering Lowry a high pay but shortened contract. He's probably looking for 4 years, but I would try to get a 2 or 3 year deal with more money up front.
    your pal,
    ebrian

9. Like chrischris, Axel, Fully, ceez liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I agree with the possible ****ing situation, but here's how I see it.

Success this year will increase the value of our players and potentially even produce a couple all stars.

The competition for ****ing this year is incredibly tough, and given the draft class, there's a chance that many of the freshmen don't declare.

There will be some franchises trying to make the leap from lottery to playoffs too quickly. I could easily see the Jazz, the Bucks or the Magic being very intrigued by Derozan if he has a good stretch in the playoffs.

So basically, the point of this year would be to give our young guys a taste of winning, increase the value of our assets, and to plan for ****ing when the competition is less serious.
    Good points, but:

What's the point of giving the young guys a taste of winning now, if we are only going to blow it up in the offseason and plan to lose next year? Getting back to the playoffs after a t@nk usually takes more than one season, so winning now isn't gonna matter much if you have to go through 2 or 3 more seasons of losing.

Plus, nobody could have predicted that there would be so much competition to t@nk, or at least, that so many teams would be affected by injuries (CHI, ATL) or just not meet expectations (BKN, NYK, CLE, WAS, DET). Similar scenarios next season could mean as many teams are trying to **** as well, you just can't predict that.

I don't know, but this situation seems crazy now that I think on it a bit more. If what you are saying is accurate (the part about increasing value of our players to trade for picks, prospects, or expirings) then is it possible that MU is gunning for free agency in 2015 and/or 2016? Because, if not, then this team is likely to suck for the foreseeable future unless he can score big in FA or land a LBJ/Durant type player in the draft (2014 if we move up via trade, or 2015 via the t@nk). This assumes no Lowry and we trade DD, Amir and maybe anyone else besides JV and possibly Ross.

All this winning just to suck later and hopefully land a stud in the draft or FA in the next 2-3 years seems incredibly risky to me. MU makes a wrong move there anywhere and he is done for sure before his contract expires.

My guess is that ultimately, MU will go the Pacers route, and he will retain Lowry in the offseason.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote vino wrote: View Post
    Bold 1: history tells otherwise: Stoudamire, Iverson, Rose, Lillard... only to name a few. Yeah, these ones exploded right from the start, but in general - a good PG is good right from the get-go.

Bold 2: I'd say Bledsoe is an upgrade. It's unlikely the Suns don't match, but it's a totally different discussion

Bold 3: Ainge wants picks and he'd want several 1st rounders for a healthy Rondo. Not happening with MU values of picks, and rightfully so!

Bold 4: bunch of BS. Chicago is not trading Rose.

Another bunch of BS. OKC is not trading Westbrook or Durant. Thinking otherwise is silly at this point. More than likely Westbrook will come back as explosive as he was.

As for the general topic, my two cents: if Lowry walks... this means MU did not do a good job. Period. If MU has the slightest fear of Lowry walking for nothing... he should trade him right now, even if the price is slightly below his raised value as of late. Otherwise, it is a waste of 1st rounder we paid to get him (even if it wasn't MU himself). So, he either re-signs him (hopefully to something short and reasonable), or he trades Lowry within the next month.
    1. I would call those guys the rare case. How many more were not nba ready? the ratio is lopsided.

2. Bledsoe is an upgrade, but there is no reasoning I can think of as to why Phoenix wouldn't match any offer for him. And therefore I deemed him unattainable.

3. We can offer him picks our 2014 and New Yorks first rounder, as well as expiring contracts or some combination.

4. It's not as far fetched as you may think. Both Rose and Westbrook are coming of bact to back injuries. These guys are not going to be 100% when they come back. Chicago's window to win a championship with Rose has closed until they reload, so blowing it completely up makes sens. OKC have a good team even without Westbrook, so if they can bring in the necessary peices by trading him to make a run this year then it's a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I do not trust Lowry. I am happy he's playing very well right now but I don't trust him. I'm too worried that he'll show up fat next season after signing a big contract. He's 27 years old and has strung together 20-25 games of very solid basketball for the first time in about 3 years. He may be an outlier but history suggests that investing big into this type of inconsistent level of play could cripple us for several years.

That said, the list of unrestricted free agent point guards leaves much to be desired. There are no legitimate starters. From the draft, someone said it's untrue that rookie point guards can't step in right away, but they only gave examples of lottery picks, which we're not likely to have.

Making matters worse, if I'm not mistaken Vasquez contract is up too. Not that he's a viable starter, but at least he's familiar with the system. I would try to minimize the risk by offering Lowry a high pay but shortened contract. He's probably looking for 4 years, but I would try to get a 2 or 3 year deal with more money up front.
    agree 100%

i'm wildly impressed with what he's done this season but the whole thing gives me the heebie jeebies.
    @jerboat

13. Like OldSkoolCool, Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    sure. if only we had a lottery pick.
    You've taken this right out of context. Read the whole post again, I've never advocated that we could pick a high caliber PG in this draft.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer this question, MU will never, ever get caught with his pants around his ankles. If there's even a whiff of KL wanting to test the waters, he's gone by the Feb. trade deadline.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    To answer this question, MU will never, ever get caught with his pants around his ankles. If there's even a whiff of KL wanting to test the waters, he's gone by the Feb. trade deadline.
    You got to love Raptor fans. They are all love for their GMs. BC enjoyed a similar support for 7 years, lets just hope MU does not disappoint.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What if there's no whiff and he tests the waters when the season is over? Then all this anti-tanq business will be all for naught.

You know what the sad thing is about all this? This is Kyle Lowry. Not T-Mac, not Chris Bosh but Kyle Lowry.. a player that at the beginning of the season many of us weren't sure was even a starting caliber guard.
    your pal,
    ebrian

18. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    1. I would call those guys the rare case. How many more were not nba ready? the ratio is lopsided.
    Point I was making is that PG is the most likely position to come in NBA ready than any of the other ones. You've made me do some research... but here you go: Mark Price, John Stockton, Steve Nash. All these were not picked top 5 in their respective draft and they weren't impact players right away, but we all know where they've ended up.

2. Bledsoe is an upgrade, but there is no reasoning I can think of as to why Phoenix wouldn't match any offer for him. And therefore I deemed him unattainable.

3. We can offer him picks our 2014 and New Yorks first rounder, as well as expiring contracts or some combination.

Screw that.

4. It's not as far fetched as you may think. Both Rose and Westbrook are coming of bact to back injuries. These guys are not going to be 100% when they come back. Chicago's window to win a championship with Rose has closed until they reload, so blowing it completely up makes sens. OKC have a good team even without Westbrook, so if they can bring in the necessary peices by trading him to make a run this year then it's a possibility.
    First, I don't think these two will be available for trades, but even if they were... how many fans here would like to sacrifice the future (read: give multiple picks) for injury prone past-superstars that their original teams have given up on... C'mon.

your entire post is BS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    You got to love Raptor fans. They are all love for their GMs. BC enjoyed a similar support for 7 years, lets just hope MU does not disappoint.
    I think my comment is simply a common sense comment rather than pure, unadulterated love for him. ANY GM would make the move I suggested.

21. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they need a veteran stop gap PG. GV I think plays better as a starter anyway so you give him his QO and let him play for one season to see what you got. You then use the year to look for a trade to upgrade the PG spot unless you can find a kid in the draft that can become that guy.

Rondo is mentioned a lot but you need to give up a tangible asset like DD, Ross, JV or multiple picks to get him.. and I'm not his biggest fan. There is something about his demeanor that rubs me the wrong way.

23. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Call me crazy here but what if Lowry was say, flipped to Minnesota for Rubio and parts in an attempt to keep Love, is that such a crazy idea?

25. Like chrischris liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote vino wrote: View Post
    You've taken this right out of context. Read the whole post again, I've never advocated that we could pick a high caliber PG in this draft.
    disagree. you've actually removed context from your argument to make it sound more reasonable. your point about good PG's going strong right out of the gate was backed up with a list of point guards that were all lottery picks. these are the exceptions, not the rule.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Amir.

If Lowry leaves, we're suddenly a lot worse and a lot younger. I love Amir, but he no longer fits into the picture if we're not trying to win now, and we're delusional if we think we can win without Lowry.

28. Like chrischris liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    disagree. you've actually removed context from your argument to make it sound more reasonable. your point about good PG's going strong right out of the gate was backed up with a list of point guards that were all lottery picks. these are the exceptions, not the rule.
    see my previous comment to Mediumcore, above.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information