View Poll Results: If VC formally apologizes to Raps fans would u b ok with the franchise honouring him?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 56.25%
  • No

5 31.25%
  • Maybe/Not Sure

2 12.50%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: SN: "Vince Carter: The re-imagination of VC"

Raptors Republic Rookie gametime's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately they didn't even try to seem neutral in the special. They didn't cover VC "openly quitting" on the team either. But it's clear what the agenda is: soften up the fans so that VC can either finish his career in Toronto or be honoured in some way. I just wish they didn't force feed it like that... And if the special was about showing VC had finally matured, why did he bring up a 'certain someone' that sent him a letter 2 years ago, apologizing for how everything went down? (anyone not think Peddie was the one that sent the letter?)

Post Thanks / Like

ps. Does VC + Drake = Durant? ... things that make you go hmmm...

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering, is there any link online in which I can watch it?

Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If VC did what he 'did' at the end of his tenure on 'ANY' team, fans would react the same way. It's hard to forget, even when forgiveness is granted.

Agreed but damn, that was years ago. Certainly enough time has passed to let you see the entire picture of VC's tenure...not just the end part. This guy is easily the best Raptor of all time, he brought the Raptors and the city to the map, all star, olympian, dunk champ etc... I hated the way he left too but that sour taste left me a long time ago and his s*#%ty exit doesn't erase all that he's done

Post Thanks / Like

KD doing a Q & A and someone asked him this:

VC RT @iGett_Bucketz: @KDTrey5 why did you grow up a raptor fan
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

6. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote gametime wrote: View Post
    ps. Does VC + Drake = Durant? ... things that make you go hmmm...
    I love how people think where a player will spend the rest of his career and up heave his family, basically change his entire life, will depend on the needling of some pop/rap star.
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

8. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I love how people think where a player will spend the rest of his career and up heave his family, basically change his entire life, will depend on the needling of some pop/rap star.
    It depends on how strong that pop/rap star's sales pitch is, right?

I mean, if Durant is already shopping for a new team, why wouldn't he listen to what Drake has to say?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    It doesn't, but it's interesting. Would you rather talk to KD with Drake (his buddy) & possibly VC (his fav player growing up) in the mix, or do you think your odds are just as good without the influence of those two?

BTW: Anyone else hear JYD on 590 today? He said that VC owed the fans an apology, and even quoted some of the things VC said.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It depends on how strong that pop/rap star's sales pitch is, right?

I mean, if Durant is already shopping for a new team, why wouldn't he listen to what Drake has to say?
    I think we need to lay this Durant talk to rest until turmoil actually surfaces in OKC. Sure they haven't won anything yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to leave.. lol. I dunno. Guess we'll see.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't, but it's interesting. Would you rather talk to KD with Drake (his buddy) & possibly VC (his fav player growing up) in the mix, or do you think your odds are just as good without the influence of those two?
    i think way too much exaggerated importance is put on some select few statements some players have said. wiggins has said he'd like to be drafted by the raptors. KD grew up watching VC. VC is tristan thompsons MJ. blah blah blah. some people actually think wiggins will try to worm his way out kobe-style out of whatever team drafts him in order to play here. a lot of ridiculous and over the top wishes based on very immaterial quotes.

seriously, how would VC convince someone to play here when he himself tried to leave as nastily as he did.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW: Anyone else hear JYD on 590 today? He said that VC owed the fans an apology, and even quoted some of the things VC said.
    Interesting. Anyone have a link to the audio?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
    Interesting. Anyone have a link to the audio?
    To hear JYD say VC owes the fans "a formal apology", click the link below and click the pic of Vince to start playing:
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/tim-and-sid/
    (Skip to the 1:50minute mark)

15. Like Apollo, .40 Cal Flakes liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Vince quit on us, and now we trade for him so he can retire here. We owe him shit, he quit on us period. Same dam thing goes for Bosh as well. They leave and then expect us as fans to embrace them and stop booing. Vince didn't have any problem flaunting when he was dropping 30 on us in the playoffs as soon as we traded him. Let him rot somewhere else except here. He could of been something very special, but money and fame are what he thought he wouldn't get here so he moved, no worries. But he quit, he didn't just leave, he stopped playing for us stopped trying to win.

Bosh as well with all his bull crap holding us at bay, like his decision was along the same lines as LeBron and wade. Bosh is expendable there, he's not the superstar there that he thought he was here. Even though he was a re best player, do we ask for him to come back. Hell no, they can enjoy there lives somewhere else, now that things are going good with the club we have, are they gonna come back and be the missing piece. Screw'em both

As for this leading to KD. Well he began negotiating his next extension already, so he isn't coming here guys. That was reported months ago at the beginning of the season.

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote delman21 wrote: View Post
    Vince quit on us, and now we trade for him so he can retire here. We owe him shit, he quit on us period. Same dam thing goes for Bosh as well. They leave and then expect us as fans to embrace them and stop booing. Vince didn't have any problem flaunting when he was dropping 30 on us in the playoffs as soon as we traded him. Let him rot somewhere else except here. He could of been something very special, but money and fame are what he thought he wouldn't get here so he moved, no worries. But he quit, he didn't just leave, he stopped playing for us stopped trying to win.

Bosh as well with all his bull crap holding us at bay, like his decision was along the same lines as LeBron and wade. Bosh is expendable there, he's not the superstar there that he thought he was here. Even though he was a re best player, do we ask for him to come back. Hell no, they can enjoy there lives somewhere else, now that things are going good with the club we have, are they gonna come back and be the missing piece. Screw'em both

As for this leading to KD. Well he began negotiating his next extension already, so he isn't coming here guys. That was reported months ago at the beginning of the season.
    VC and bosh are completely unrelated cases. there is no campaign to bring bosh back.

as for KD, hes most definitely not negotiating any extensions right now. why the fuck would he? hes still there till 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Added a poll to this thread. Curious, for those Raps fans who don't agree with the organization potentially honouring VC, would a formal apology from him change your mind? Even if you don't think the organization should honour him, would an apology be the closure you need to finally reconcile with him and let go of the "hate"?

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Added a poll to this thread. Curious, for those Raps fans who don't agree with the organization potentially honouring VC, would a formal apology from him change your mind? Even if you don't think the organization should honour him, would an apology be the closure you need to finally reconcile with him and let go of the "hate"?
    Well a formal apology would go a long way imo, I personally don't hate Vince at all I'm just against honoring a player that quit on his team and the city.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    Well a formal apology would go a long way imo, I personally don't hate Vince at all I'm just against honoring a player that quit on his team and the city.
    But if he apologized and admitted his mistakes (btw I doubt that would happen), but if he did, would that satisfy you enough that you'd be cool with the Raps retiring his jersey or whatever?

I ask cuz I think that for the majority of fans who still can't let go of the fact he did us/the organization wrong, the apology is all that is needed. Just a hunch.

In any case it's clear that the tide of opinion is changing. It looks like even without the apology some fans are willing to let bygones be bygones. A significant amount of fans were actually standing up and applauding the guy. Crazy. Well it has been a decade after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Why does it have to be "hate" if we don't like what Vince Carter did and don't like the idea of honoring him? People keep saying this but those who are arguing against honors are for the most part arguing points based on principals and logic. Those who are saying, "hey it's water under the bridge" are the people driven by an emotional attachment(nostalgia) if anything.

For me, I already said that weak ass apologies aren't going to cut it. If he booked an hour long special on his "decision" and laid it all out there with honesty and was genuinely sorry then let's see...

For the record, if he left the same time and on good terms I still would believe that he didn't do enough to receive the honor of no one being allowed to wear his number ever again and to make a shrine of it. A second round elimination and a dunk contest win is going to seem small in the grand scheme of things if you're thinking 20-30 years out. Look around the league and check out what other players had to do to get such honors for their teams.

22. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my final take on this whole thing.
    All of you Carter fans, clearly weren't real Raptor fans back in the day, or you'd remember how much damage he did to the organization, both privately and publicly, on, and OFF the court.
    Did he put this team on the map? Yes. Did he inspire a HUGE wave of new players and is largely responsible for Canada's love for basketball? Absolutely.
    But he also equally responsible for overtly DISRESPECTING this organization, and being a cancer to it at the end of his tenure on MORE than one occasion. Going so far as to say openly in interviews that he regularly wouldn't give his all in games. Which was his paid JOB to do.
    Do none of you remember the Mo Pete ejection? That he was responsible for? HELLO. I won't even get into what we got in exchange for trading away one of the greatest players in the NBA at that time...
    Any of you that think his jersey should be retired, are crazy.. The thought is ludicrous. You'd be saying to the entire NBA that it's ok for an athlete to completely disrespect your team, figuratively spit on your beloved organization, because we'll take you back later with open arms. No worries.
    No. Absolutely not.

You want to have a Raptors jersey retired? The line starts after Alvin Williams. ALVIN. WILLIAMS.
    The man sacrificed the longevity of his career, and essentially gave us both his knees during our 'Purple Fever' days.
    This is coming from someone who was a HUGE Vince fan, when he was playing here and playing hard for this team. But his jersey should not EVER be retired by the Toronto Raptors. The damage is done.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care too much about Vince, I was at the game against San Antonio when he got hurt and I knew the guy's days were numbered here. The only little nitpicky reason I would be averse to retiring his jersey here would be because some of my other favourite raptors have worn the 15 since him (Garbo, Amir) and I feel like that would be like dishonouring their effort and work (they were the very opposite of Vince carter at the end of his tenure here, think about it)
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Thread Information