No announcement yet.

SN: "Vince Carter: The re-imagination of VC"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First up ... I really enjoyed this relatively short - but poignant - review of Vince & the Fans. It brought back a certain nostalgia. Which for me, and I know for others, it was early childhood as a Raptor fan(atic).

I also think this poll missed one alternative.
    Should Vince apologize?

I believe that Vince has served his time. I get the booing. It was a reflection of basketball fans realizing what had just escaped. Of course that just part has lasted much longer that a dictionary would ever ascribe to.

Should Raptor fans (and the organization) celebrate - and forgive - what hindsight will probably acknowledge. That Vince Carter single handedly had the most profound effect on basketball in Canada. A sport invented by a Canadian, no less.

He made me a fan. He made many a fan. He made Tristan a fan - his idol. A reason to make basketball his eventual livelihood. That also includes Wiggins and other foreign NBAers from the North.

Vince Carter elevated basketball in Canada more then anyone else. He made Steve Nash more relevant - and not in any superior way. He just made Canadians more aware of this 2xMVP PG. And before anyone gets their David Hasselhoff panties in a bind, IMO .... Carter electrified a sport that had always been dominated by the ice men (cometh). Guys with sticks still dominates, but put a Star in front of these folks, and not only would basketball return to its own personal glory, but with a more entrenched base.

Which I contend will always reside in Vince Carter chronicles.

Time to bring our history back to where it should be. At some point we have to give up the elephant imitation. That denser brain persona could be hazardous with our lifestyle.
    Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Fri Jan 24, 2014, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• For those that missed it:

http://youtu.be/2G2L0WZPM-Q
      http://youtu.be/l9PZWBxbF0Y
      Last edited by gametime; Sat Jan 25, 2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• On VC Trade:
        13:57 - "If I stop it, I'm meddling. And he's (Rob's) dead. I wish I stopped it. Worst trade." (Richard Peddie)
        14:11 - "It may have hurt my opportunities to get another GM's job." (Rob Babcock)

Comment

• gametime wrote: View Post
          i wanted to believe in this video but its obviously everyone on that show was lying out their ass
          except for babcock, hes just an idiot

Comment

• One point no one has mentioned here is that the Raptors have never honoured anyone in this fashion before and they're setting a precedent with the first.

The most prestigious teams out there would not honor Carter's feats in Toronto if he did them on their teams, it would not meet the precedents (ie: think Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, etc).

So here's a question for you. What if the Raptors land a couple stars who play 80-100% of their careers here in Toronto and maybe win a title or make the finals? What then if the Raptors establish long term winning ways? Players stick around and want to play on the winners MLSE pumps out. Where then does Carter fit in "Raptors Greatness"?

I get it. NBA basketball was still new to Toronto and the team stunk before him. He won a jam competition and made the second round once. His time in Toronto was exciting but we saw no greatness and yet we want to give him the honor usually reserved for the greatest of players and/or long time serving players?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              U One point no one has mentioned here is that the Raptors have never honoured anyone in this fashion before and they're setting a precedent with the first.

The most prestigious teams out there would not honor Carter's feats in Toronto if he did them on their teams, it would not meet the precedents (ie: think Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, etc).
              Those teams already have traditions galore. Carter wouldn't have brought the NBA to these teams, it was already there. For Toronto, Vince brought meaning within the NBA - the first real capture of interest.

Apollo wrote: View Post
              So here's a question for you. What if the Raptors land a couple stars who play 80-100% of their careers here in Toronto and maybe win a title or make the finals? What then if the Raptors establish long term winning ways? Players stick around and want to play on the winners MLSE pumps out. Where then does Carter fit in "Raptors Greatness"?
              One of those stars could be Wiggins - as far fetched as that possibility sounds. There is a greater influx of Canadians to the NBA, and for many of them, Vince Carter was inspiration. Carter's Raptor Greatness will be that one who helped launch not only Stars, but an afinity towards the Raptors.

On the chances of getting Wiggins, there are potentially 2 lottery picks available. One comes from the lesser of Knicks and Nuggets, both teams out of the play-offs at this time. Denver is in the West & the Knicks are not those last year Knicks. And if Masa was interested in tanking, which would likely include selling Lowry for 1st round pick + extras (ie. young talent), Raps would have their own lottery pick. As to tanking, I'm slipping over to the dark side, and wishing Masa would make it happen - and go for the long ball.

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I get it. NBA basketball was still new to Toronto and the team stunk before him. He won a jam competition and made the second round once. His time in Toronto was exciting but we saw no greatness and yet we want to give him the honor usually reserved for the greatest of players and/or long time serving players?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
              In LA I could understand lower tolerance for a Star who asks to be traded. But in Canada, Carter put up good numbers for 6 of his 7 years as a Raptor. While I would never deny Carter had a very flawed exit, his significance trumps that. Players leave teams all the time. Including teams like LA.

The acrimony for him was simply because everyone knew what was leaving, and that it never was coming back. At least not during prime years. This betrayal symptom had fans extend their hate for much longer then any psychiatrist would suggest is healthy.

At some point, Toronto has to acknowledge their history. For myself, and many others, Carter was the real beginning to this sport that has made us somewhat fanatical about it.

Sent from my brain using little neuron thingies

Comment

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                Just thinking 'bout Vince's Home Coming brings tears to my eyes.
                Please Please Please come back
                end the legacy right where it began

Like Craig says there's a reason sportsnet's putting this out there
                #HOMECOMING
                I dont even care if he's not Canadian like TT said he was our MJ and still is

every single time that he stepped on to that allstar floor with the words TORONTO on his chest
                if only he would....
                I know for a fact the reason that Sportsnet put this out there is because Grange had a good story idea and Vince finally got on board with telling it. There is no MLSE conspiracy that is dictating television content for something just short of tampering
                Ball Don't Lie

Comment

• i was actually shocked to hear how much stock vince actually put into his dunk competition... he was actually super proud of that and considers that to be one of his greatest achievements... fuckin amateur dunk competitions have better dunks than his in that comp.. yes i was in awe at the time but still. if he's gonna be remembered as a raptor it better not be for some fuckin sideshow, it better be basketball related.

Comment

• VC Documentary The Reimagination

This is a short VC documentary. It is not new but I thought some of you may have missed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X