Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking ahead: what position(s) needs upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Amir definitely, he is a 3rd big on a champion.

It'd be WONDERFUL to have a glue guy starter wing like Stephenson or Iguodala and have Ross as a first option off bench, but they don't exactly grow on trees.

We could knock on the door of a title (right there with Indy, OKC) with a lineup Lowry-Derozan-Iguodala-Millsap-Valanciunas. Bench: Vasquez, Ross, Salmons (foul trouble spot duty), 2Pat and Amir.
    Agree that Amir is the perfect 1st Big off the Bench. Especially with his expanded range of late.

I disagree that Ross should be coming off the bench. I think he's proven himself, at least cautiously, that he can start in the NBA and contribute. In the playoffs, his ability to hit open shots, and play Defense will be crucial. We're seeing him turning into a Bruce Bowen type only more athletic.

I'd be open to maximizing on Derozan's value, if it brought back a clear upgrade for SF, but I still think that PF needs to be the target, and unfortunately, I believe we'll have to part with Amir to get that Upgrade. Or Patterson and pieces. Amir is the better bench option though.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Amir definitely, he is a 3rd big on a champion.

It'd be WONDERFUL to have a glue guy starter wing like Stephenson or Iguodala and have Ross as a first option off bench, but they don't exactly grow on trees.

We could knock on the door of a title (right there with Indy, OKC) with a lineup Lowry-Derozan-Iguodala-Millsap-Valanciunas. Bench: Vasquez, Ross, Salmons (foul trouble spot duty), 2Pat and Amir.
      I'm not so sure Amir is a 3rd big on a contender but that's just an opinion. It's all a matter of teammates. I think he would start in SA and Miami based on their current lineups. OKC and Indiana I think you're right, 3rd big. His help D is incredible, and he's a 5th option on O who doesn't have a single play ever run for him. He can run in transition and has great touch around the rim (though not lately).

I think the C is our biggest need for upgrade if we were to contend now. JV will get there eventually but his D just isn't there at the moment to protect the rim when helping on D. He also doesn't have enough offence at the moment to offset his poor D either. The worst part is we literally have no one to bring in to relieve him either so he has to be a bit passive on D to avoid fouls.
      There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Its gotta be the 4 spot. Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough is a solid bench corp of bigs. If this team had Kevin Love, for example, they might move on to contender status.

A poll might be good here

Comment

I don't think "an upgrade" at any position gets us to contender status. We need ELITE talent to get there. You focus on getting the elite talent at WHATEVER position and the rest of the team (provided you aren't giving away every other player on the roster) is good enough as a supporting cast. Where that elite talent comes from or what position it is I have no idea.

For me it's more of a question of who we can get for what price as opposed to a specific position.

Wouldn't Rondo be nice?
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
            I'm not so sure Amir is a 3rd big on a contender but that's just an opinion. It's all a matter of teammates. I think he would start in SA and Miami based on their current lineups. OKC and Indiana I think you're right, 3rd big. His help D is incredible, and he's a 5th option on O who doesn't have a single play ever run for him. He can run in transition and has great touch around the rim (though not lately).

I think the C is our biggest need for upgrade if we were to contend now. JV will get there eventually but his D just isn't there at the moment to protect the rim when helping on D. He also doesn't have enough offence at the moment to offset his poor D either. The worst part is we literally have no one to bring in to relieve him either so he has to be a bit passive on D to avoid fouls.
            if birdman isnt even a starter for the heat theres no fucknig way amir would be

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              Why is that?

Comment

We could use an upgrade at PF. Amir, 2Pat, and PsychoT bring good energy and I feel as though any combination of them would be good coming off the bench for the Raps.
                A PF such as LaMarcus Aldridge would be ideal. With his midrange game (so as to not cramp Jonas on the block) and also able to take it inside when we need high% buckets late in games. He is also a great rebounder and good passer for his position.

Comment

What Position gets upgraded First?

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  I know most of us are pretty high on the Starting Lineup of Lowry, Ross, Derozan, Amir and JV ... but in order to go from where we are (successful winning roster) to Title Contender, somethings gotta give, and someones gotta go in order to make the necessary improvements.

So I'm not asking which route do we take in order to make the improvements, I'm asking which Position is primed ready for an Upgrade. I'm going with PF. Sorry Amir.

I really like what Lowry, Ross, Derozan bring to the 1,2,3 Position as a tandem, and feel they can grow into a very solid Trio. And JV is the Boss.
                  Direct and unnecessary insult. Not sure what you were thinking here???
                  Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                    none of them you idiot, we're in treadmill city and that's the problem.
                    Did you seriously just call me an idiot Akash?

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                      So you're saying you'd rather have Birdman than Amir? That's baffling to me. First of all Andersen is a C and backs up Bosh. Looking at the PFs of Battier, Haslem and Lewis, should be a clear indicator that Amir is the superior player to all 3 of them. But, you know what they say about opinions!
                      There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

PF. I love Amir but we need a star caliber player at the 4 spot. A guy that we seem to forget is Serge Ibaka. Averaging more than 14 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks on a team that has Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. I'm sure he could get to 18 and 10 with us.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          SF. DD gone, Ross to the 2, new guy at the 3.
                          I agree. Since Ross is showing that he can be a good to great 3pt shooter, but is definitely not a facilitator or creator so we need another wing that can handle/create/run the offense. DD has too many flaws in his game to be a major part on a contending team, as per OP.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Top priority should be the forward positions, both PF and SF.

I'd prefer a more traditional post-up starting PF, who will draw double-teams and contribute more consistently offensively.
                          As much hope as I have for JV offensively....I don't think he is ever going to be anything great. He will be good, but he will never be able to carry an offense, or get clutch buckets from operating out of the post. However I do think he has developed quite well as a defensive anchor, also considering that he is only 21. To make us contenders we do need that post presence at PF. I think Randle (basically a young version of Boozer/West) would be a great fit beside Val. Val can be a rim protector/glass cleaner while Randle can also be a glass cleaner but is a guy who we can lean on for inside post offense, which IMO is a vastly underrated skill in the NBA.

TRex wrote: View Post
                          This. Unless Lowry bolts out then you need to upgrade PG position.
                          The contract year scares me...

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Agree that Amir is the perfect 1st Big off the Bench. Especially with his expanded range of late.

I disagree that Ross should be coming off the bench. I think he's proven himself, at least cautiously, that he can start in the NBA and contribute. In the playoffs, his ability to hit open shots, and play Defense will be crucial. We're seeing him turning into a Bruce Bowen type only more athletic.

I'd be open to maximizing on Derozan's value, if it brought back a clear upgrade for SF, but I still think that PF needs to be the target, and unfortunately, I believe we'll have to part with Amir to get that Upgrade. Or Patterson and pieces. Amir is the better bench option though.
                          Amir+Patterson would be a GREAT big man combo off the bench for a pletha of reasons. This would open up TH to be dealt as well in conjunction to DD.

Ross has look awful off the bench due to his skills requiring good players to play with. When Ross has to create for himself/others thinks end badly. Very badly. I agree that he needs to stay on the starting lineup and in a playoff series he can really be valuable. He has shown an extra gear defensively that is incredible.

I think DD would be best used on draft night. Hopefully he has a good playoff series that allows us to trade up into the draft for one of the SF or PF.

Comment

Hey remember when everyone said DD couldn't be a facilitator? Ya me too. Guys have specific roles assigned to them to match their strengths. These guys are pros they work on things and get better. To say Ross can't be a facilitator not even half way through his 2nd year seems a bit premature. Just saying don't put limits on young players you never know what skills they have or may have that they aren't asked to use within their current system and roles.
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                              Hey remember when everyone said DD couldn't be a facilitator? Ya me too. Guys have specific roles assigned to them to match their strengths. These guys are pros they work on things and get better. To say Ross can't be a facilitator not even half way through his 2nd year seems a bit premature. Just saying don't put limits on young players you never know what skills they have or may have that they aren't asked to use within their current system and roles.
                              Hey, remember that he still isn't?? Even with his new found +2 assists, DD still isn't a guy that comes down the floor and initiates the offense and runs the plays. That is the type of player we need on the wing to take some pressure off of the PG.

Ross I don't think will ever be a good enough facilitator/creator. Not because he will be limited by his skills or talent, but due to his personality. He is a passive, nice guy. Great creators have a certain 'edge' and aggressive personalities that help them get into the paint and get dirty. I know I'm describing an immeasurable quality, but it is something that all creators have IMO.

Ross' role should match his personality. We should use him to his strengths and not try and make him something that he isn't.

Comment

C position needs an upgrade - but we all have faith that JV will continue to develop. The evolution of the Raptors depends on how well he develops. But in terms of competing now, we need that low post presence that he doesn't provide yet.

PF position needs more offensive production but Amir's defense anchors this team so I wouldn't want to change that right now.

Wings need more size but I like the combo of a 3 & D in Ross and playmaking & scoring in DeRozan. If you can improve that but keep this type of combination in the wings, do it. Realistically, it's DeMar (since his fit to role isn't at an elite level where as Ross is a perfect fit for his role).

PG needs upgrade in terms of attacking the rim. Kyle lacks size but he compensates with all out hustle. No complains for now but the older he gets, the more evident his lack of size will be.

I like how our starting 5 fits. But if you can upgrade talent on any position, while keeping the floor balance, you do it.
                                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                                X