Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead: what position(s) needs upgrading?

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    if birdman isnt even a starter for the heat theres no fucknig way amir would be
    Why is that?

Raptors Republic Rookie Skip2MyLou's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We could use an upgrade at PF. Amir, 2Pat, and PsychoT bring good energy and I feel as though any combination of them would be good coming off the bench for the Raps.
    A PF such as LaMarcus Aldridge would be ideal. With his midrange game (so as to not cramp Jonas on the block) and also able to take it inside when we need high% buckets late in games. He is also a great rebounder and good passer for his position.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Position gets upgraded First?

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I know most of us are pretty high on the Starting Lineup of Lowry, Ross, Derozan, Amir and JV ... but in order to go from where we are (successful winning roster) to Title Contender, somethings gotta give, and someones gotta go in order to make the necessary improvements.

So I'm not asking which route do we take in order to make the improvements, I'm asking which Position is primed ready for an Upgrade. I'm going with PF. Sorry Amir.

I really like what Lowry, Ross, Derozan bring to the 1,2,3 Position as a tandem, and feel they can grow into a very solid Trio. And JV is the Boss.
    Direct and unnecessary insult. Not sure what you were thinking here???
    Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Sat Jan 18th, 2014 at 08:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    none of them you idiot, we're in treadmill city and that's the problem.
    Did you seriously just call me an idiot Akash?
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    if birdman isnt even a starter for the heat theres no fucknig way amir would be
    So you're saying you'd rather have Birdman than Amir? That's baffling to me. First of all Andersen is a C and backs up Bosh. Looking at the PFs of Battier, Haslem and Lewis, should be a clear indicator that Amir is the superior player to all 3 of them. But, you know what they say about opinions!
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

PF. I love Amir but we need a star caliber player at the 4 spot. A guy that we seem to forget is Serge Ibaka. Averaging more than 14 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks on a team that has Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. I'm sure he could get to 18 and 10 with us.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    SF. DD gone, Ross to the 2, new guy at the 3.
    I agree. Since Ross is showing that he can be a good to great 3pt shooter, but is definitely not a facilitator or creator so we need another wing that can handle/create/run the offense. DD has too many flaws in his game to be a major part on a contending team, as per OP.

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Top priority should be the forward positions, both PF and SF.

I'd prefer a more traditional post-up starting PF, who will draw double-teams and contribute more consistently offensively.
    As much hope as I have for JV offensively....I don't think he is ever going to be anything great. He will be good, but he will never be able to carry an offense, or get clutch buckets from operating out of the post. However I do think he has developed quite well as a defensive anchor, also considering that he is only 21. To make us contenders we do need that post presence at PF. I think Randle (basically a young version of Boozer/West) would be a great fit beside Val. Val can be a rim protector/glass cleaner while Randle can also be a glass cleaner but is a guy who we can lean on for inside post offense, which IMO is a vastly underrated skill in the NBA.

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    This. Unless Lowry bolts out then you need to upgrade PG position.
    The contract year scares me...

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Agree that Amir is the perfect 1st Big off the Bench. Especially with his expanded range of late.

I disagree that Ross should be coming off the bench. I think he's proven himself, at least cautiously, that he can start in the NBA and contribute. In the playoffs, his ability to hit open shots, and play Defense will be crucial. We're seeing him turning into a Bruce Bowen type only more athletic.

I'd be open to maximizing on Derozan's value, if it brought back a clear upgrade for SF, but I still think that PF needs to be the target, and unfortunately, I believe we'll have to part with Amir to get that Upgrade. Or Patterson and pieces. Amir is the better bench option though.
    Amir+Patterson would be a GREAT big man combo off the bench for a pletha of reasons. This would open up TH to be dealt as well in conjunction to DD.

Ross has look awful off the bench due to his skills requiring good players to play with. When Ross has to create for himself/others thinks end badly. Very badly. I agree that he needs to stay on the starting lineup and in a playoff series he can really be valuable. He has shown an extra gear defensively that is incredible.

I think DD would be best used on draft night. Hopefully he has a good playoff series that allows us to trade up into the draft for one of the SF or PF.

8. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey remember when everyone said DD couldn't be a facilitator? Ya me too. Guys have specific roles assigned to them to match their strengths. These guys are pros they work on things and get better. To say Ross can't be a facilitator not even half way through his 2nd year seems a bit premature. Just saying don't put limits on young players you never know what skills they have or may have that they aren't asked to use within their current system and roles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    Hey remember when everyone said DD couldn't be a facilitator? Ya me too. Guys have specific roles assigned to them to match their strengths. These guys are pros they work on things and get better. To say Ross can't be a facilitator not even half way through his 2nd year seems a bit premature. Just saying don't put limits on young players you never know what skills they have or may have that they aren't asked to use within their current system and roles.
    Hey, remember that he still isn't?? Even with his new found +2 assists, DD still isn't a guy that comes down the floor and initiates the offense and runs the plays. That is the type of player we need on the wing to take some pressure off of the PG.

Ross I don't think will ever be a good enough facilitator/creator. Not because he will be limited by his skills or talent, but due to his personality. He is a passive, nice guy. Great creators have a certain 'edge' and aggressive personalities that help them get into the paint and get dirty. I know I'm describing an immeasurable quality, but it is something that all creators have IMO.

Ross' role should match his personality. We should use him to his strengths and not try and make him something that he isn't.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

C position needs an upgrade - but we all have faith that JV will continue to develop. The evolution of the Raptors depends on how well he develops. But in terms of competing now, we need that low post presence that he doesn't provide yet.

PF position needs more offensive production but Amir's defense anchors this team so I wouldn't want to change that right now.

Wings need more size but I like the combo of a 3 & D in Ross and playmaking & scoring in DeRozan. If you can improve that but keep this type of combination in the wings, do it. Realistically, it's DeMar (since his fit to role isn't at an elite level where as Ross is a perfect fit for his role).

PG needs upgrade in terms of attacking the rim. Kyle lacks size but he compensates with all out hustle. No complains for now but the older he gets, the more evident his lack of size will be.

I like how our starting 5 fits. But if you can upgrade talent on any position, while keeping the floor balance, you do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    PG needs upgrade in terms of attacking the rim. Kyle lacks size but he compensates with all out hustle. No complains for now but the older he gets, the more evident his lack of size will be.
    This is a diamond in the rough. KL is going to decline hard. He should be good for a 4 year contract tho, with maybe the last year we see a glimpse of the decline on occasion.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it has to be the SF spot. You can get away with DD and Ross on the wing during the regular season, but two guys named James and George are standing between the Raps and any meaningful success. Kinda tough to be considered a contender when that matchup alone would likely mean an easy series win for either the Pacers or Heat.

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bk-up guard positions, obviously. I think we have the option to not pick up Salmons. And Vasquez is a poor man's Calderon who was a poor man's something else.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

i think amir isn't getting the credit he deserves. with high scoring guards, amir does a lot of the dirty work as well as shooting at a high percentage.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    SF. DD gone, Ross to the 2, new guy at the 3.
    So effortlessly expressed, I agree.

But then again, depends on the situation with Lowry I suppose.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So we can conclude that the 2 spot is the position that doesn't need an upgrade?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Initially, backup PG and a real backup 5. Eventually a real SF so that one of Ross or Demar can go to the bench OR is traded. I'm curious to see what double Pat becomes before fixing the 4.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should give Vasquez more time. He did average 34 mpg in 78 games: 43% FG - 34% 3pt - 80% FT - 4.3 rpg - 9.0 apg - 13.9 ppg - 3.2 to

Thats a pretty good 2652 minutes. It is much more than the mythical 13 games that kept hope in Primo. Vasquez could actually emerge to really bolster our backup PG spot.

Saying that, I think the backup PG spot is not of urgency.

But honestly, I don't think much of our lineup is urgent need of changing.. I think it all just needs to develop. Jonas is not much of a positive so far, wait until he contributes consistently. Ross is showing flashes of what he could be, but he isnt there yet. Demar is still refining. I think if we want to go over the top, we need to get a Kevin Love type at the PF. Amir would anchor the bench behind Jonas and Love.

So my answer is PF.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

20. Like charlesnba23 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Jonas is the starting anchor at C for the 5th best defence in the league. For someone so young, becoming a defensive presence first is what I value much more highly than a refined offence. Watch for Jonas to become a great two-way player as he matures.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how Amir played last night. I think he defended Love quite well, especially considering he had to chase Love all over the court and defend the perimeter. It was like a statement game for Amir, fans want to bring this guy in to replace me, well I'll show you what I can do!! Good job Amir!!

23. Like Puffer liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information