View Poll Results: One spot left, who makes it?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeMar Derozan

17 48.57%
  • Lance Stephenson

18 51.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DeRozan or Stephenson

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    He's 7th on the team in USG% - behind Granger and Chris Copeland, though they are limited minutes players. So he is indeed the 5th option on their team. Just because so few of his possessions end in TO or FT's, and he's second on the team in minutes, his FGA's are inflated relative to his usage.
    That doesn't make sense. How are his FGA inflated relative to his usage? He takes the 2nd most shots on the team and averages more than 5 APG. That says he isn't just the fifth option but rather an important cog in the offence.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the question is Lance or Derozan but I'm pretty confident that they are both going to get in because Afflalo isn't gonna get in over any of them

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    i do not doubt his work ethic, hunger to win etc. still doesn't take away from the fact that stephenson is playing way better (yes they have different roles on their respective teams, but i'd have to say stephenson is playing out his specific role way better than derozan is)
    Can't say I disagree with that. Lance is making the most of his opportunity in Indiana. He has more talent than DeMar overall. I just wanna reward the guy because he's been loyal to our franchise & he works his ass off to improve every single year. What he lacks in talent, he makes up for with his work ethic.

Like I said, I'm biased but realistically, both guys should make it. I see no reason why Afflalo gets the nod when you have these two producing for winning teams.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scoring seems to be more valued than most other statistical categories (especially for the glorified pickup game known as the All-Star Game). Based on that alone, I could see DeRozan getting the nod over Stephenson.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lance is a Grade A douche.

Demar ftw.

6. Like JRedmond14 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
    Lance is a Grade A douche.

Demar ftw.
    Yea dont know quite what to make of his on court schtick myself...is he just being playful or a taunter... but the dude can flat out play and of course a large asset to his team in multiple phases.

ps...liked his steal and fake dunk on JR (a real douche) in last night's game

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I heard a lot of similar talk about Gordon Hayward in the preseason, and he's been shitting the bed as a lead guy. I think a lot of these tier 2 guys get the grass-is-greener attraction from our fans. If forced to play Demar's role, surrounded by our team, Lance would look nowhere near as good as he does now.
    This^^^

Stephenson is a good player but Demar is our number one option right now. Demar doesn't have the benefit of playing with Hibbert, West, George.

Obviously I give the nod to Demar.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think of it as "which guy would be harder to replace?" or "which player would the team do worse without?".

For me, it's a no-brainer that Lowry is the engine that drives the Raptors. The Raps have depth that can replace DeRozan more readily than Lowry.
    Not so sure about that one. Derozan bears 27% of the offense at better than league average offensive rating (106) - highest on the team - by far. I don't see anybody on the roster who can even come remotely close to replacing that USG rate, at least not consistently. Definitely no way that Ross can step in today and suddenly become even an average shot creator at that high USG rate - his handle is terrible. We'd have to trade for an equivalent high usage replacement wing and/or upgrade PF to more of an offensive threat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Not so sure about that one. Derozan bears 27% of the offense at better than league average offensive rating (106) - highest on the team - by far. I don't see anybody on the roster who can even come remotely close to replacing that USG rate, at least not consistently. Definitely no way that Ross can step in today and suddenly become even an average shot creator at that high USG rate - his handle is terrible. We'd have to trade for an equivalent high usage replacement wing and/or upgrade PF to more of an offensive threat.
    I meant relative to Lowry. We have even less viable options to replace Lowry.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally unbiased (loved lance since he was is high school), Demar has to have the advantage simply because the coaches choose. Teams game plan for Demar, focus a whole lot of defensive effort on him. Lance has accepted a role on Indiana where he doesn't have to score for the team to do well, and is very fortunate to have landed in such a great situation. Coaches make more adjustments for Demar and he still burns them often.

Personally I think derozan is a lock. Totally homer, but I can't see a majority of coaches disrespecting his game like that. Dudes a beast at 24 and has some flash in his game.

If the raps aren't ballin and have a bad record, I'd say Stephenson though.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Yea dont know quite what to make of his on court schtick myself...is he just being playful or a taunter... but the dude can flat out play and of course a large asset to his team in multiple phases.

ps...liked his steal and fake dunk on JR (a real douche) in last night's game
    Honestly I find him hilarious. Not too many people taunt the shit out of their opponents anymore so I find his antics rather amusing, and he's certainly a unique character. Usually I hate those kind of cocky guys, but he backs it up with real solid play. He's actually one of the best allround players in the league, a really brilliant passer with superb vision.

I honestly suspected he'd just be a JR Smith or Beasley clone..get in trouble off the court and put up bricks on it.... but you've got to give so much credit to the Pacers for teaching him to not only be a better person off the court, but to play the right way as well... And of course give him credit for embracing it.
    Last edited by BigCamB; Sat Jan 18th, 2014 at 02:56 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    That doesn't make sense. How are his FGA inflated relative to his usage? He takes the 2nd most shots on the team and averages more than 5 APG. That says he isn't just the fifth option but rather an important cog in the offence.
    His teammates use more possessions than him. They end more possessions with fouls or with turnovers, so even though he takes more shots, more of the offence is running through his teammates. The fact that he takes a lot of shots but doesn't draw fouls or turn it over suggests he is at the end of a lot of sets, a release valve so to speak. Not a primary option.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think of it as "which guy would be harder to replace?" or "which player would the team do worse without?".

For me, it's a no-brainer that Lowry is the engine that drives the Raptors. The Raps have depth that can replace DeRozan more readily than Lowry.
    Yea, with Ross.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

DD all day ...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Has to be DeRozan.. Lance is a key piece, but Hibbert and George are that teams allstars.

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think DeRozan has a higher ceiling but in terms of consistency I go with Stephenson. Close call but for now I say Stephenson.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys say Derozan averages this year? I say 21-6-4.5

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Yea, with Ross.
    ross is most definitely not near that level yet to readily replace derozan. hes exceling in his role behind derozan right now, but move ross to primary scorer position and it'll just fall apart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information