View Poll Results: Should Casey get extended?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, extend him.

35 51.47%
  • No, find another head coach.

33 48.53%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Casey get extended?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should Casey get extended?

Casey in his last year of his contract. In the summer when MU took over the consensus was that Casey was a lame duck coach. The team started the season off very poorly but once Gay got traded, the team rallied and Casey's coaching seemed to improve.

We do not know what MU is going to do but if you were him would you extend Casey or look for another coach next season, and why?

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look for another coach, and given the options, decide then. So I didn't answer the poll.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I'd really like to see how the season goes before making a judgement, but based on the here and now I would say yes. I really like how the team has responded since the Gay trade. I'm not sure that's all on Casey, of course, but he seems to have the respect of the players and they have bought in to the system he has tried to implement, a system which apparently was the same even when Rudy was here. It depends too, on how this team will look next season and the type of team that MU envisions. If defense continues to be a priority going forward, and this group largely remains the same, then I think Casey is a good head coach to have. We have the 3rd (I think) best defense in the league right now, or since the Gay trade anyways. That's a major component of a championship contender right there. It would be hard to let him go if this team continues to succeed.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I can't answer this question until the end of the season. It's still just too early.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Casey is a great coach.. but the players seem to like playing for him (at least when they are winning). If they get a new coach does that affect their chemistry? I think it's important enough to bring him back even if its for 2 years. A coach doesn't count against the salary cap so if they fire him after another year it doesn't really matter.

My poll but I voted extend.

Post Thanks / Like

I like what Casey is about for the most part but I think it should come down to:

A.) Who's available?
    B.) Who's interested?
    C.) Of those, who's the best fit in terms of x's & o's and basketball culture?

There is more at play than Casey's performance.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no right answer right now. Need to see how he performs for the rest of the season, then re-up him if you have confidence at that point. Seeing how he performs in the playoffs will be a nice test. And if the team drops out of the playoffs, no way you bring him back.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey is terrible at getting the most out of his players. In fact he usually makes them much worse than they are. This cannot be the case if we are to improve the team. I like his defense, but we need a coach that inspires confidence in his players and has some form of offense / player rotation management.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Casey is terrible at getting the most out of his players. In fact he usually makes them much worse than they are. This cannot be the case if we are to improve the team. I like his defense, but we need a coach that inspires confidence in his players and has some form of offense / player rotation management.
    How do you figure? I hope you have more to bring to the table than Rudy Gay.

Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Lowry
    Bayless
    Augustine
    Ross (exception last 15 games)
    Val (lack of PnR offense, random benching, destroying confidence)
    Amir (lack of PnR offense)
    Alan Anderson
    Ed Davis

Basically he has underutilized the majority of his players throughout his career here, or ruined their confidence. Or miss handled minutes. I really do not like him as a head coach.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Lowry
    Bayless
    Augustine
    Ross (exception last 15 games)
    Val (lack of PnR offense, random benching, destroying confidence)
    Amir (lack of PnR offense)
    Alan Anderson
    Ed Davis

Basically he has underutilized the majority of his players throughout his career here, or ruined their confidence. Or miss handled minutes. I really do not like him as a head coach.
    -Jose was the clear starter over Lowry last year even after they fought for the starting job.
    -I don't see how Bayless or Augustin have been underutilized? They are good backups on mid-calibre teams
    -Ross never showed the talent he had before the gay trade offense or defense
    -Val is not good on the PnR as he is best utilized in the low post. I will agree there were times where the minutes were very unusual and unhelpful.
    -Lowry is not a good PnR player and has probably used 1/100 screens set for him by Amir. Amir has played well with Jose and Vasquez PnR
    -Can't believe AA and Ed made this list. AA is a wasteful chucker and Ed is the low post reverse zoolander (can't go right)

Sometimes it is hard a coach to always maximize potential and find the so called "diamond in the ruff" players. For example, is Mike D'Antoni a bad coach for not figuring out Jeremy Lin was such a good player earlier on in the knicks season? It took the Rudy Gay trade to spark a fire in T Ross.

That being said, he should be extended. He has got these guys playing unbelievable defense and I think has actually maximized the talent of some of these players. Masai should look for an upgrade in the offensive assistant coach.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
    - It took the Rudy Gay trade to spark a fire in T Ross.
    Nope, it took the coach showing some faith and giving him a chance with consistent playing time. Hard to show nice play when you play 5 mins one night, 20 the next than 7 the next. Many young players are inconsistent, the talent was rather obvious to see though as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by BigCamB; Sat Jan 18th, 2014 at 06:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

-Jose was the clear starter over Lowry last year even after they fought for the starting job.
    - Jose looked better than Lowry because Casey wanted Lowry to play like Jose. That is a DISASTER in terms of coaching. Now, after a year and some terrible losing streaks, Casey is letting Lowry play his game, and we are winning.

-I don't see how Bayless or Augustin have been underutilized? They are good backups on mid-calibre teams
    Augustine looked like he barely could make a college team in TO.
    I though Bayless never got a chance to step up to the plate. The guy was putting up very good numbers and was a better 2 way player than Jose.

-Ross never showed the talent he had before the gay trade offense or defense
    I loved Ross in his first year. What he is doing is not a surprise. He did this when he played for the Huskies.

Casey destroyed his confidence through random benchings and inconsistent tutelage. I have not seen Casey take Ross off the floor and explain to him what he needs to do better. I have not seen it with any player. Another sign of a bad coach.

-Val is not good on the PnR as he is best utilized in the low post. I will agree there were times where the minutes were very unusual and unhelpful.
    O_o

Val's strength coming into the league was the PnR. He was very good at catching the lob at the rim for the alley oop or catch and finish on the ground due to his quickness.

Val's biggest strength last season was the PnR.

Val's confidence in the PnR has been destroyed and it shows with his new found inability to catch the ball in the PnR.

The PnR is not run often enough for Val or Amir.

There are no lobs to the rim for our athletic big men to catch and dunk.

This is due to our offense relying on inefficient mid ranged jump shots from pin down screens

This is bad offensive coaching.

This is poor player evaluation from you, thinking Val is bad in the PnR.

-Lowry is not a good PnR player and has probably used 1/100 screens set for him by Amir. Amir has played well with Jose and Vasquez PnR
    Lowry is very good in the PnR, when he came to the Raps from Houston he got more shots for his teammates from the PnR than Jose did.

But again, Casey castrated him and wanted him to play a game that isn't his.

-Can't believe AA and Ed made this list. AA is a wasteful chucker and Ed is the low post reverse zoolander (can't go right)
    Bad coaching rotations, trusted that AA was a "vet" and let him shoot shitty shots all game. Bad coaching. Bad decision making. Bad control over his players.

Ed was very good. Took him the better part of a year and a half before Casey trusted him. Again like to play the "vets" over the young guys, even though the young guys were better.

Sometimes it is hard a coach to always maximize potential and find the so called "diamond in the ruff" players. For example, is Mike D'Antoni a bad coach for not figuring out Jeremy Lin was such a good player earlier on in the knicks season? It took the Rudy Gay trade to spark a fire in T Ross.

That being said, he should be extended. He has got these guys playing unbelievable defense and I think has actually maximized the talent of some of these players. Masai should look for an upgrade in the offensive assistant coach.
    Coaching should always be about using players to their strengths. This is hard, yet simple, and something that Casey has NEVER done yet as a head coach for the Raps. That is a poor track record. Move on from him.

Ross always had the ability, there were games pre-trade where he had the fire and intense D...but he still got benched in favor of Mr. Gay because Gay was a "vet"

Nick Nurse is an incredible mind on offense. I don't think we will be able to upgrade much from him.

Casey is a bad head coach and should not be resigned.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

- Jose looked better than Lowry because Casey wanted Lowry to play like Jose. That is a DISASTER in terms of coaching. Now, after a year and some terrible losing streaks, Casey is letting Lowry play his game, and we are winning.

Augustine looked like he barely could make a college team in TO.
    I though Bayless never got a chance to step up to the plate. The guy was putting up very good numbers and was a better 2 way player than Jose.

I loved Ross in his first year. What he is doing is not a surprise. He did this when he played for the Huskies.

Casey destroyed his confidence through random benchings and inconsistent tutelage. I have not seen Casey take Ross off the floor and explain to him what he needs to do better. I have not seen it with any player. Another sign of a bad coach.

O_o

Val's strength coming into the league was the PnR. He was very good at catching the lob at the rim for the alley oop or catch and finish on the ground due to his quickness.

Val's biggest strength last season was the PnR.

Val's confidence in the PnR has been destroyed and it shows with his new found inability to catch the ball in the PnR.

The PnR is not run often enough for Val or Amir.

There are no lobs to the rim for our athletic big men to catch and dunk.

This is due to our offense relying on inefficient mid ranged jump shots from pin down screens

This is bad offensive coaching.

This is poor player evaluation from you, thinking Val is bad in the PnR.

Lowry is very good in the PnR, when he came to the Raps from Houston he got more shots for his teammates from the PnR than Jose did.

But again, Casey castrated him and wanted him to play a game that isn't his.

Bad coaching rotations, trusted that AA was a "vet" and let him shoot shitty shots all game. Bad coaching. Bad decision making. Bad control over his players.

Ed was very good. Took him the better part of a year and a half before Casey trusted him. Again like to play the "vets" over the young guys, even though the young guys were better.

Coaching should always be about using players to their strengths. This is hard, yet simple, and something that Casey has NEVER done yet as a head coach for the Raps. That is a poor track record. Move on from him.

Ross always had the ability, there were games pre-trade where he had the fire and intense D...but he still got benched in favor of Mr. Gay because Gay was a "vet"

Nick Nurse is an incredible mind on offense. I don't think we will be able to upgrade much from him.

Casey is a bad head coach and should not be resigned.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. He gets some credit for helping turn things around - although its almost as if his hand was forced and then and only then did he make calls he should have made long, long ago (Ross minutes, JV minutes, Kyle leading the team, Ross finishing games (remember when people were defending him ending games with Salmons!!).

Way too many mistakes over the years in terms of personnel, time outs, inbounds plays, stagnant offense, etc.

Nice guy, but not a good NBA coach. He has to go

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the hurry? Is he going somewhere else? Like with the players play the season out and take it from there. Casey is a good guy but is he the best coach available? We wont know the makeup of the team going forward until the summer.

Raptors Republic Rookie shan2on's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In an ideal world Sam Mitchell would be a prime candidate for head coach and DC would be demoted to defensive coordinator.

Maybe that's my hopes for raptors nostalgia still in existence...

not going to happen letting someone else take the reins after a 3 year failed project however.

Raptors Republic Rookie Skip2MyLou's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point, the Raptors need consistency. The raptors have 6 returning players from last year (The 5 starters and Landry).
    They have been playing as a team that believes in each other and in their coach.
    There is all this talk of building a winning culture. That comes with time and player development. Not just as players, but development as a team and coaching staff as well.
    I don't know if the answer is Dwayne Casey, but the Raptors need to commit to a coach long term (like Boston did with Brad Stevens) and end the turn-style of players and coaches that strips a team of identity and so called "culture".

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say no because he's mismanages players all the time until he was forced into playing the younger players.Hes also not a tough coach on the offensive side of the ball he let Rudy single handedly destroy an offense because he never told him to change his shot selection. I love the defense he brings but that's all he does well and to win in this league you need a good all around coach

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    I would say no because he's mismanages players all the time until he was forced into playing the younger players.Hes also not a tough coach on the offensive side of the ball he let Rudy single handedly destroy an offense because he never told him to change his shot selection. I love the defense he brings but that's all he does well and to win in this league you need a good all around coach
    I was in the locker room when Casey explicitly asked him to change this. Rudy just didnt listen.

Post Thanks / Like

I said yes because I like the style of play and the effort he gets out of his guys. I think extending Casey shows that the organization would like to turn this trend into the culture of this team. I support that. Are there other coaches with a similar philosophy? Sure. But we have it now, and continuity matters.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information