View Poll Results: Should Casey get extended?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, extend him.

35 51.47%
  • No, find another head coach.

33 48.53%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Casey get extended?

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre Gay trade I'd say dump him. Now I say wait it out, see what happens still too early to make a decision.

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Never thought I would ever click yes on a poll like this but I did. I like the relationship he has with the players and his teams on a roll so why not.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug Collins

Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

God no.

While I respect the turnaround and the better decisions of late, there's simply too much evidence that he's not a first-tier coach. Misusing players, baffling rotations, terrible late game play calling. And against top coaches he has consistently been outmatched.

I know everyone likes the feeling of winning, but I really feel like we are getting some distorted results because of how exceptionally bifurcated the league is between the good and the bad teams.

We are 4-13 vs .500 or greater teams. 15-5 against under .500 teams.

We've struggled getting top name coaches in the past, but since Leiweke was able to snag MU (and the TFC guys) I hope they go elephant hunting before settling on the incumbent by default.

Post Thanks / Like

Casey has been pretty bad here for the most part and I facepalmed a record amount of times last year. I would definitely not extend him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

No. A good stretch of games, doesn't mean we should extend him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phiLLy wrote: View Post
    No. A good stretch of games, doesn't mean we should extend him.
    So you don't think that the amount of players that were paraded through during his short tenure gives him any slack?

I think that we are playing the best ball we've played in almost 10 years. I think it's even more impressive considering the changes he has been coaching through

8. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Kyle Lowry
    Bayless
    Augustine
    Ross (exception last 15 games)
    Val (lack of PnR offense, random benching, destroying confidence)
    Amir (lack of PnR offense)
    Alan Anderson
    Ed Davis

Basically he has underutilized the majority of his players throughout his career here, or ruined their confidence. Or miss handled minutes. I really do not like him as a head coach.
    -Jose was the clear starter over Lowry last year even after they fought for the starting job.
    -I don't see how Bayless or Augustin have been underutilized? They are good backups on mid-calibre teams
    -Ross never showed the talent he had before the gay trade offense or defense
    -Val is not good on the PnR as he is best utilized in the low post. I will agree there were times where the minutes were very unusual and unhelpful.
    -Lowry is not a good PnR player and has probably used 1/100 screens set for him by Amir. Amir has played well with Jose and Vasquez PnR
    -Can't believe AA and Ed made this list. AA is a wasteful chucker and Ed is the low post reverse zoolander (can't go right)

Sometimes it is hard a coach to always maximize potential and find the so called "diamond in the ruff" players. For example, is Mike D'Antoni a bad coach for not figuring out Jeremy Lin was such a good player earlier on in the knicks season? It took the Rudy Gay trade to spark a fire in T Ross.

That being said, he should be extended. He has got these guys playing unbelievable defense and I think has actually maximized the talent of some of these players. Masai should look for an upgrade in the offensive assistant coach.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    So you don't think that the amount of players that were paraded through during his short tenure gives him any slack?

I think that we are playing the best ball we've played in almost 10 years. I think it's even more impressive considering the changes he has been coaching through
    I do give him some slack. I wanted him fired before, but, I think he's at least earned his way to the end of the season.

That being said, I'd love to keep him as an assistant, but, I don't think anybody's been head coach, and then demoted to assistant of the same team before.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally wanted Lawrence Frank when we originally hired Casey, but I voted for extend. I think he's done a phenomenal job this season. I expected us to have won barely one third of our games so far, and we've won over half. Just don't extend him for too long. This team is likely to be blown up in a year or so, so I'd give him another 2 more years and go from there.

There are better coaching options out there, but many of those guys were also available when we hired Casey.

I have to say though, Casey uses the word "physicality" way too much during post and pre-game interviews.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think with Gay on the team, it revealed Casey's achille's heel — the inability to manage big ego's or players with a star mentality.

If we make some trades and somehow upgrade the roster during the off-season, you have to consider bringing in a big-time coach. But I think we'll likely be in development or ****ing mode for at least three more seasons, and there's no harm in extending him at a reasonable price.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

See whos available, and go from there.

He has gone from complete cluster **** to ah...he's alright.

Regardless of how far we get in the playoffs(well...if we get to the finals...) he's earned the right to be considered but not to be out right a go ahead. That said the Casey/Nurse combo has done a good job post Gay.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
    - It took the Rudy Gay trade to spark a fire in T Ross.
    Nope, it took the coach showing some faith and giving him a chance with consistent playing time. Hard to show nice play when you play 5 mins one night, 20 the next than 7 the next. Many young players are inconsistent, the talent was rather obvious to see though as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by BigCamB; Sat Jan 18th, 2014 at 06:20 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is lots of season left to evaluate Casey, but I have to give him credit for the defense he has this team playing. Ultimately, that's whats winning us ball games. We held the #2 offense last night to under 90 points. This is very significant to me, and that type of defense is what will also give the team a chance to win some playoff games. Our defense is up there with Indy and CHI so I just can't dismiss Casey despite what was going on with Gay and in previous seasons. I have to support him for that, but this is still an offseason decision so we'll see how it goes.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have been driven mad by coach Case. Here's the thing though, the players have been molded with his philosophy for almost 3 years. Having a new coach means a new system and for the sake of continuity, it would be best he stays for another 2 years. I have my other factors (much like Mr. Apollo):

1. Who else is out there? I could only think of one and that's Nate McMillan (Vogel's right hand man). Given he is coming from Indy is definitely a good thing.

2. Is his relationship with Kyle sound? Repaired?

3. How well does he coach in the playoffs. I'm assuming this is his bread and butter. If he's successful (even with a 2nd round exit), I'd say that's pretty darn good.

I voted yes btw (no problem w/ a 2 year extension).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    I think with Gay on the team, it revealed Casey's achille's heel — the inability to manage big ego's or players with a star mentality.

If we make some trades and somehow upgrade the roster during the off-season, you have to consider bringing in a big-time coach. But I think we'll likely be in development or ****ing mode for at least three more seasons, and there's no harm in extending him at a reasonable price.
    I don't know about this. Big time coaches have been fired / not renewed as well. I'm convinced that without Wade and co. LeBron would eat Spo (remember their 1st year together)?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    I don't know about this. Big time coaches have been fired / not renewed as well. I'm convinced that without Wade and co. LeBron would eat Spo (remember their 1st year together)?
    I don't even know why we should assume Gay was evidence that Casey can't manage egos.

Masai clearly wanted to trade Gay.... WTF are you gonna do with a 18 mil contract, not play that person? Not have them shoot and shoot alot? Basically admit that you think he's better in a smaller role... a role whose equivalent replacement is worth alot less then 18 mil?

Cutting Gay's usage and/or minutes may have been best for the team to win more games, better for Rudy's stats - doesn't mean it was better on the trade market, and Gay HAD to be traded.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No, we need someone like Phil Jackson or JVG.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There were a lot of comments in another thread about folks on this forum being confident in the Raps ability to win anywhere from 44 - 52 games this season. Casey doesn't get dumped if that happens.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

-Jose was the clear starter over Lowry last year even after they fought for the starting job.
    - Jose looked better than Lowry because Casey wanted Lowry to play like Jose. That is a DISASTER in terms of coaching. Now, after a year and some terrible losing streaks, Casey is letting Lowry play his game, and we are winning.

-I don't see how Bayless or Augustin have been underutilized? They are good backups on mid-calibre teams
    Augustine looked like he barely could make a college team in TO.
    I though Bayless never got a chance to step up to the plate. The guy was putting up very good numbers and was a better 2 way player than Jose.

-Ross never showed the talent he had before the gay trade offense or defense
    I loved Ross in his first year. What he is doing is not a surprise. He did this when he played for the Huskies.

Casey destroyed his confidence through random benchings and inconsistent tutelage. I have not seen Casey take Ross off the floor and explain to him what he needs to do better. I have not seen it with any player. Another sign of a bad coach.

-Val is not good on the PnR as he is best utilized in the low post. I will agree there were times where the minutes were very unusual and unhelpful.
    O_o

Val's strength coming into the league was the PnR. He was very good at catching the lob at the rim for the alley oop or catch and finish on the ground due to his quickness.

Val's biggest strength last season was the PnR.

Val's confidence in the PnR has been destroyed and it shows with his new found inability to catch the ball in the PnR.

The PnR is not run often enough for Val or Amir.

There are no lobs to the rim for our athletic big men to catch and dunk.

This is due to our offense relying on inefficient mid ranged jump shots from pin down screens

This is bad offensive coaching.

This is poor player evaluation from you, thinking Val is bad in the PnR.

-Lowry is not a good PnR player and has probably used 1/100 screens set for him by Amir. Amir has played well with Jose and Vasquez PnR
    Lowry is very good in the PnR, when he came to the Raps from Houston he got more shots for his teammates from the PnR than Jose did.

But again, Casey castrated him and wanted him to play a game that isn't his.

-Can't believe AA and Ed made this list. AA is a wasteful chucker and Ed is the low post reverse zoolander (can't go right)
    Bad coaching rotations, trusted that AA was a "vet" and let him shoot shitty shots all game. Bad coaching. Bad decision making. Bad control over his players.

Ed was very good. Took him the better part of a year and a half before Casey trusted him. Again like to play the "vets" over the young guys, even though the young guys were better.

Sometimes it is hard a coach to always maximize potential and find the so called "diamond in the ruff" players. For example, is Mike D'Antoni a bad coach for not figuring out Jeremy Lin was such a good player earlier on in the knicks season? It took the Rudy Gay trade to spark a fire in T Ross.

That being said, he should be extended. He has got these guys playing unbelievable defense and I think has actually maximized the talent of some of these players. Masai should look for an upgrade in the offensive assistant coach.
    Coaching should always be about using players to their strengths. This is hard, yet simple, and something that Casey has NEVER done yet as a head coach for the Raps. That is a poor track record. Move on from him.

Ross always had the ability, there were games pre-trade where he had the fire and intense D...but he still got benched in favor of Mr. Gay because Gay was a "vet"

Nick Nurse is an incredible mind on offense. I don't think we will be able to upgrade much from him.

Casey is a bad head coach and should not be resigned.

22. Like Sig, mountio liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information