No announcement yet.

Should Casey get extended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this team plays the rest of the season like they've played the last month, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Casey extended.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

There is an advantage to having a new head coach prior to training camp.. but would a 45+ win team fire their coach when the expectation was lottery (or worse a 7-11 team) at the beginning of the year? What would MU say to the press when Casey's contract runs out? What does he tell their players? I think he gets extended and then fired if they don't like what he's doing next year. If he continues to exceed expectations you keep him.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        I don't think this is true. Mostly cause Gay doesn't have that attitude and also because he led the T Wolves to a .500 record when The Big Ticket was the Star of the team
        Kevin Garnett is the complete opposite of a large unmanageable ego.

Comment

Casey has absolutely no idea how to manage Val! This is what I saw during the game today against the Lakers.
          Not sure what to say about Val's playing time. Inexplicable in my mind. Obviously Valanciunas had essentially nothing to do with our loss. Even getting beat multiple times by Pau didn't make much of a dent in the final outcome. Pau was on the floor for 36 minutes, Valanciunas was only on for 14. In the third quarter when Val was out with the starters he played some good defense on Pau and forced jump shots and one tough hook. He also forced Pau to make a bad pass into the key because of his length. I think by the time Val went out Pau had taken 6 shots and only made a right hook off the glass and a back-down deep in the paint.

Raps were up by double digits when Val came off, had been up by as much as 15, and looked solid. Everyone on the floor looked good. Here's where I think our coach fails. He's had the same issues with Valanciunas since last year. Val is not going to give you perfect defense at this point. That's a given, at times his man-to-man is even going to be below average. But the team is better with him on the floor. He's still a threat on both ends of the floor. Hayes came in and played much better man defense on Pau (it was awesome, even) but it didn't make a difference to dictating how the Raptors as a team performed. Why? Because he provides nothing else. He opens up lanes for all of the Laker guards because he isn't a lane intimidator, which allows them to drive and kick and create easy shots; he can't prevent Pau from being a good passer because he doesn't have any length; and he's nothing on offense. Even if he provides the odd basket here and there, he's simply not a threat and defenders can sort of float with him. We got two easy threes in a row with Val on the floor because even with a post-game in need of lots more development he's still a guy you can go inside-out with.

Having an inside presence like that makes the game a lot easier for the guards. Val and Amir both set great screens to clear up space for our wings and PG, they roll well, and they can clear tons of space in the lane. Yet, Casey watches someone like Hayes have a few possessions of good man-to-man defense while the Raptors are losing the lead and he plays him 23 minutes. That's unacceptable coaching. If the Raptors were getting killed when Valanciunas was in then leaving Hayes in would have made sense (although 14 minutes for a developing player is still truly unacceptable). But that wasn't happening, they were extending their lead.

LET VAL MAKE MISTAKES IN ONE ON ONE DEFENSE. Sit him for a few minutes if you need to but my god pay attention to the whole game. The Raptors are BETTER with him on the floor. The only easy basket he gave to Pau in the 3rd was when he allowed himself to be backed into the lane with essentially no resistance because he didn't want to pick up another foul. Other than that, the effort was constantly there and it's that effort ON THE FLOOR that's going to make him better. You see flashes of good man defense against every center he plays against now. Last year he'd have whole games of just getting destroyed. Now you see him get burned badly still, but then you'll see a couple possessions in a row of solid defense and a general balancing of defensive effectiveness as the game goes on. Let him play through it.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Phil Jackson or JVG.

Comment

Since I was hesitant before, I still feel ikeI should give him the rest of the season. But I'm sure leaning to "no" right now.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lol

Comment

"No, find another head coach." has surprisingly increased tenfold just within this last hour.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                    "No, find another head coach." has surprisingly increased tenfold just within this last hour.
                    Casey appears to be back to WIN NOW!!!!!!!!!! mode, rather than just playing his best players. The rotations are all out of whack. Force feeding guys on offense. Poor shot selection and decision-making. It's like the good ol' days of 2012!

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                      And there goes Hollinger's algorithm and power rankings!!!
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Casey appears to be back to WIN NOW!!!!!!!!!! mode, rather than just playing his best players. The rotations are all out of whack. Force feeding guys on offense. Poor shot selection and decision-making. It's like the good ol' days of 2012!
                        Casey is simply terrible under pressure. We saw it time and time again last year. Now he has even more vets to overplay!

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Casey is simply terrible under pressure. We saw it time and time again last year. Now he has even more vets to overplay!
                          well, atleast this time it isn't Alan Anderson.
                          What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                          The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                          No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

IndyCorleone wrote:
                            I believe that Casey is a good (not great) coach and that Colangelo was really forcing his hand last year. The first year for a new coach taking over is always a big adjustment period. The raptors were horrible defensively before casey came aboard and they improved greatly while their offense went in the opposite direction, in the first year. Last year, too many distractions and ill advised rushed decisions from b.c to try and save his own job (bringing in rudy gay and publicly announcing bargnani being traded and open to all..no suitors). He's done a great job this year, in trying to keep the players focused and is continuing to press the players on being focused and not overlooking lesser teams. He's made a few stupid decisions too, like not calling a time out late in the game, keeping jv out for long periods of time. But all in all, i think he's doing good and deserves an extension for a year to see how far this young team will go. However, if Masai doesn't wanna take that route, then he should definitely bring in George Karl. That guy is a g...he doesn't take shit from no one and his teams are always banging out teams on offense. Not to mention that they both worked with each other last year when they both took home some hardware from exec to coach of the year.
                            I would love George Karl. Given what's happened the past four games I think DC's stock has dropped.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              Just the exact opposite of what this franchise needs.

Comment

Unfortunately, a string of wins and people forget all about his shortcomings. I think we're still going to end up a few games over .500, assuming Lowry isn't traded. Is that good enough? Are we trying to be a "good enough" team? I think his record this year is going to be like everything else about the team--a mirage, due to smarter teams tanking and the competition being worse than usual.

Comment

Working...
                                X