View Poll Results: Should Casey get extended?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, extend him.

35 51.47%
  • No, find another head coach.

33 48.53%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Casey get extended?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    I think with Gay on the team, it revealed Casey's achille's heel — the inability to manage big ego's or players with a star mentality.

If we make some trades and somehow upgrade the roster during the off-season, you have to consider bringing in a big-time coach. But I think we'll likely be in development or ****ing mode for at least three more seasons, and there's no harm in extending him at a reasonable price.
    I don't think this is true. Mostly cause Gay doesn't have that attitude and also because he led the T Wolves to a .500 record when The Big Ticket was the Star of the team

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I would look for another coach, and given the options, decide then. So I didn't answer the poll.
    This^

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I like what Casey is about for the most part but I think it should come down to:

A.) Who's available?
    B.) Who's interested?
    C.) Of those, who's the best fit in terms of x's & o's and basketball culture?

There is more at play than Casey's performance.
    And this^

My position on Casey hasn't changed from what it was when people were calling for his head. Who are we replacing him with? If you can find a better coach then go out and and get that coach. The players seem to have bought in and if he can sustain that buy-in and make some noise in the playoffs then there's nothing wrong with bringing him back. Mostly though, I feel like we SHOULD be able to get a better coach.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Casey is a good (not great) coach and that Colangelo was really forcing his hand last year. The first year for a new coach taking over is always a big adjustment period. The raptors were horrible defensively before casey came aboard and they improved greatly while their offense went in the opposite direction, in the first year. Last year, too many distractions and ill advised rushed decisions from b.c to try and save his own job (bringing in rudy gay and publicly announcing bargnani being traded and open to all..no suitors). He's done a great job this year, in trying to keep the players focused and is continuing to press the players on being focused and not overlooking lesser teams. He's made a few stupid decisions too, like not calling a time out late in the game, keeping jv out for long periods of time. But all in all, i think he's doing good and deserves an extension for a year to see how far this young team will go. However, if Masai doesn't wanna take that route, then he should definitely bring in George Karl. That guy is a g...he doesn't take shit from no one and his teams are always banging out teams on offense. Not to mention that they both worked with each other last year when they both took home some hardware from exec to coach of the year.
    Last edited by DonCorleone; Sun Jan 19th, 2014 at 04:34 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    - Jose looked better than Lowry because Casey wanted Lowry to play like Jose. That is a DISASTER in terms of coaching. Now, after a year and some terrible losing streaks, Casey is letting Lowry play his game, and we are winning.

Augustine looked like he barely could make a college team in TO.
    I though Bayless never got a chance to step up to the plate. The guy was putting up very good numbers and was a better 2 way player than Jose.

I loved Ross in his first year. What he is doing is not a surprise. He did this when he played for the Huskies.

Casey destroyed his confidence through random benchings and inconsistent tutelage. I have not seen Casey take Ross off the floor and explain to him what he needs to do better. I have not seen it with any player. Another sign of a bad coach.

O_o

Val's strength coming into the league was the PnR. He was very good at catching the lob at the rim for the alley oop or catch and finish on the ground due to his quickness.

Val's biggest strength last season was the PnR.

Val's confidence in the PnR has been destroyed and it shows with his new found inability to catch the ball in the PnR.

The PnR is not run often enough for Val or Amir.

There are no lobs to the rim for our athletic big men to catch and dunk.

This is due to our offense relying on inefficient mid ranged jump shots from pin down screens

This is bad offensive coaching.

This is poor player evaluation from you, thinking Val is bad in the PnR.

Lowry is very good in the PnR, when he came to the Raps from Houston he got more shots for his teammates from the PnR than Jose did.

But again, Casey castrated him and wanted him to play a game that isn't his.

Bad coaching rotations, trusted that AA was a "vet" and let him shoot shitty shots all game. Bad coaching. Bad decision making. Bad control over his players.

Ed was very good. Took him the better part of a year and a half before Casey trusted him. Again like to play the "vets" over the young guys, even though the young guys were better.

Coaching should always be about using players to their strengths. This is hard, yet simple, and something that Casey has NEVER done yet as a head coach for the Raps. That is a poor track record. Move on from him.

Ross always had the ability, there were games pre-trade where he had the fire and intense D...but he still got benched in favor of Mr. Gay because Gay was a "vet"

Nick Nurse is an incredible mind on offense. I don't think we will be able to upgrade much from him.

Casey is a bad head coach and should not be resigned.
    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    This^

And this^

My position on Casey hasn't changed from what it was when people were calling for his head. Who are we replacing him with? If you can find a better coach then go out and and get that coach. The players seem to have bought in and if he can sustain that buy-in and make some noise in the playoffs then there's nothing wrong with bringing him back. Mostly though, I feel like we SHOULD be able to get a better coach.
    Defense wins championships. Everyone knows that. Yet here we are, we got a coach who has the team buying in and he's not good enough. Frank Vogel, Tom Thibodeau are amazing, winning coaches because they preach defense. Oh, over at Indy where scoring comes harder, no one seems to be complaining about their 32 wins and counting. Maybe people should look at all the 30 coaches, pick all the defensive minded ones and calculate their win percentage versus the rest. Just a suggestion.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    - Jose looked better than Lowry because Casey wanted Lowry to play like Jose. That is a DISASTER in terms of coaching. Now, after a year and some terrible losing streaks, Casey is letting Lowry play his game, and we are winning.

Augustine looked like he barely could make a college team in TO.
    I though Bayless never got a chance to step up to the plate. The guy was putting up very good numbers and was a better 2 way player than Jose.

I loved Ross in his first year. What he is doing is not a surprise. He did this when he played for the Huskies.

Casey destroyed his confidence through random benchings and inconsistent tutelage. I have not seen Casey take Ross off the floor and explain to him what he needs to do better. I have not seen it with any player. Another sign of a bad coach.

O_o

Val's strength coming into the league was the PnR. He was very good at catching the lob at the rim for the alley oop or catch and finish on the ground due to his quickness.

Val's biggest strength last season was the PnR.

Val's confidence in the PnR has been destroyed and it shows with his new found inability to catch the ball in the PnR.

The PnR is not run often enough for Val or Amir.

There are no lobs to the rim for our athletic big men to catch and dunk.

This is due to our offense relying on inefficient mid ranged jump shots from pin down screens

This is bad offensive coaching.

This is poor player evaluation from you, thinking Val is bad in the PnR.

Lowry is very good in the PnR, when he came to the Raps from Houston he got more shots for his teammates from the PnR than Jose did.

But again, Casey castrated him and wanted him to play a game that isn't his.

Bad coaching rotations, trusted that AA was a "vet" and let him shoot shitty shots all game. Bad coaching. Bad decision making. Bad control over his players.

Ed was very good. Took him the better part of a year and a half before Casey trusted him. Again like to play the "vets" over the young guys, even though the young guys were better.

Coaching should always be about using players to their strengths. This is hard, yet simple, and something that Casey has NEVER done yet as a head coach for the Raps. That is a poor track record. Move on from him.

Ross always had the ability, there were games pre-trade where he had the fire and intense D...but he still got benched in favor of Mr. Gay because Gay was a "vet"

Nick Nurse is an incredible mind on offense. I don't think we will be able to upgrade much from him.

Casey is a bad head coach and should not be resigned.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. He gets some credit for helping turn things around - although its almost as if his hand was forced and then and only then did he make calls he should have made long, long ago (Ross minutes, JV minutes, Kyle leading the team, Ross finishing games (remember when people were defending him ending games with Salmons!!).

Way too many mistakes over the years in terms of personnel, time outs, inbounds plays, stagnant offense, etc.

Nice guy, but not a good NBA coach. He has to go

6. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a good motivator & excellent defensive coach. He's well respected by his peers which says a lot about his character (since it can't be his track record). He has established a standard for compete level and toughness in his 3 year tenure here. We rarely get blown out on the road which means he has his teams prepared mentally.

That said, we need a coach with a playbook. He cannot handle big egos & if we're seriously looking to add a star FA in the future, I see Casey faltering. His offensive sets lack variety & creativity.

I respect him. He's a real pro. I just don't see him taking us to that next level (contention).
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If this team plays the rest of the season like they've played the last month, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Casey extended.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an advantage to having a new head coach prior to training camp.. but would a 45+ win team fire their coach when the expectation was lottery (or worse a 7-11 team) at the beginning of the year? What would MU say to the press when Casey's contract runs out? What does he tell their players? I think he gets extended and then fired if they don't like what he's doing next year. If he continues to exceed expectations you keep him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I don't think this is true. Mostly cause Gay doesn't have that attitude and also because he led the T Wolves to a .500 record when The Big Ticket was the Star of the team
    Kevin Garnett is the complete opposite of a large unmanageable ego.

11. Like isaacthompson, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey has absolutely no idea how to manage Val! This is what I saw during the game today against the Lakers.
    Not sure what to say about Val's playing time. Inexplicable in my mind. Obviously Valanciunas had essentially nothing to do with our loss. Even getting beat multiple times by Pau didn't make much of a dent in the final outcome. Pau was on the floor for 36 minutes, Valanciunas was only on for 14. In the third quarter when Val was out with the starters he played some good defense on Pau and forced jump shots and one tough hook. He also forced Pau to make a bad pass into the key because of his length. I think by the time Val went out Pau had taken 6 shots and only made a right hook off the glass and a back-down deep in the paint.

Raps were up by double digits when Val came off, had been up by as much as 15, and looked solid. Everyone on the floor looked good. Here's where I think our coach fails. He's had the same issues with Valanciunas since last year. Val is not going to give you perfect defense at this point. That's a given, at times his man-to-man is even going to be below average. But the team is better with him on the floor. He's still a threat on both ends of the floor. Hayes came in and played much better man defense on Pau (it was awesome, even) but it didn't make a difference to dictating how the Raptors as a team performed. Why? Because he provides nothing else. He opens up lanes for all of the Laker guards because he isn't a lane intimidator, which allows them to drive and kick and create easy shots; he can't prevent Pau from being a good passer because he doesn't have any length; and he's nothing on offense. Even if he provides the odd basket here and there, he's simply not a threat and defenders can sort of float with him. We got two easy threes in a row with Val on the floor because even with a post-game in need of lots more development he's still a guy you can go inside-out with.

Having an inside presence like that makes the game a lot easier for the guards. Val and Amir both set great screens to clear up space for our wings and PG, they roll well, and they can clear tons of space in the lane. Yet, Casey watches someone like Hayes have a few possessions of good man-to-man defense while the Raptors are losing the lead and he plays him 23 minutes. That's unacceptable coaching. If the Raptors were getting killed when Valanciunas was in then leaving Hayes in would have made sense (although 14 minutes for a developing player is still truly unacceptable). But that wasn't happening, they were extending their lead.

LET VAL MAKE MISTAKES IN ONE ON ONE DEFENSE. Sit him for a few minutes if you need to but my god pay attention to the whole game. The Raptors are BETTER with him on the floor. The only easy basket he gave to Pau in the 3rd was when he allowed himself to be backed into the lane with essentially no resistance because he didn't want to pick up another foul. Other than that, the effort was constantly there and it's that effort ON THE FLOOR that's going to make him better. You see flashes of good man defense against every center he plays against now. Last year he'd have whole games of just getting destroyed. Now you see him get burned badly still, but then you'll see a couple possessions in a row of solid defense and a general balancing of defensive effectiveness as the game goes on. Let him play through it.
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

"I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Jackson or JVG.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I was hesitant before, I still feel ikeI should give him the rest of the season. But I'm sure leaning to "no" right now.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"No, find another head coach." has surprisingly increased tenfold just within this last hour.

17. Like Scraptor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    "No, find another head coach." has surprisingly increased tenfold just within this last hour.
    Casey appears to be back to WIN NOW!!!!!!!!!! mode, rather than just playing his best players. The rotations are all out of whack. Force feeding guys on offense. Poor shot selection and decision-making. It's like the good ol' days of 2012!

19. Like Scraptor liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    And there goes Hollinger's algorithm and power rankings!!!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Casey appears to be back to WIN NOW!!!!!!!!!! mode, rather than just playing his best players. The rotations are all out of whack. Force feeding guys on offense. Poor shot selection and decision-making. It's like the good ol' days of 2012!
    Casey is simply terrible under pressure. We saw it time and time again last year. Now he has even more vets to overplay!

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Casey is simply terrible under pressure. We saw it time and time again last year. Now he has even more vets to overplay!
    well, atleast this time it isn't Alan Anderson.
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

23. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote IndyCorleone wrote: View Post
    I believe that Casey is a good (not great) coach and that Colangelo was really forcing his hand last year. The first year for a new coach taking over is always a big adjustment period. The raptors were horrible defensively before casey came aboard and they improved greatly while their offense went in the opposite direction, in the first year. Last year, too many distractions and ill advised rushed decisions from b.c to try and save his own job (bringing in rudy gay and publicly announcing bargnani being traded and open to all..no suitors). He's done a great job this year, in trying to keep the players focused and is continuing to press the players on being focused and not overlooking lesser teams. He's made a few stupid decisions too, like not calling a time out late in the game, keeping jv out for long periods of time. But all in all, i think he's doing good and deserves an extension for a year to see how far this young team will go. However, if Masai doesn't wanna take that route, then he should definitely bring in George Karl. That guy is a g...he doesn't take shit from no one and his teams are always banging out teams on offense. Not to mention that they both worked with each other last year when they both took home some hardware from exec to coach of the year.
    I would love George Karl. Given what's happened the past four games I think DC's stock has dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Just the exact opposite of what this franchise needs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information