Is your Confidence Still Shaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your Confidence Still Shaken?

So, yesterday I log onto rapsrepublic, to check the pre game post and I see.

Gut-check game for the Raptors who are hosting Wolves two nights after shaking people’s confidence
    Now to me that's just ridiculous and frustrating at the same time. These Raptors all season have proven that they have improved and deserve to be considered a playoff team, and a team that is clearly on the rise. Instead of shrugging off a bad loss like all the other decent fans around the NBA do, our confidence gets shaken!?!

I understand being a Raptors fan over the years has been tough, we're constantly disappointed by big acquisitions ( J.O, HEDO, Jarret Jack). Our draft picks take a little longer to develop than people like ( DeRozan, JV, T-Ross), but at the end of the day we're having a season where it's all coming together, and we let one game mess with us?

LISTEN UP RAPS FANS! Part of being a good organization and maintaining a level of respectability starts with us. We need to believe in our team like the Celtics, Lakers, Golden State, OKC, Houston etc fans do. I bet they'll be guys coming in here being like oh Celtics and Lakers are storied franchises BLAH BLAH. What about OKC? WHat about Golden State? These teams even when they suck they're fans are backing them full fledged. Us on the other hand are quick to run for the hills and beg our GMs to "BLOW IT ALL UP" for a chance at what?? Hoping we land a good pick? Then hoping said pick works out? Yes analytics nerds I know the stats behind the importance of good draft picks, but at the end of the day I enjoy winning basketball. We right now are playing winning basketball, and it's time for a franchise's fans to get on board and act like we're part of a winning franchise. We could learn a lesson from our counter parts in the Hockey World. Those leafs fans although irrational most the time. NEVER GIVE UP ON THEIR TEAM. Time for us to do the same.

Ask yourself this: If you were a free agent would you want to come play for a city with such fickle fans? Who can't even start believing in their team when THE REST OF THE LEAGUE does? There's been more coverage, more props given to the Raps this year then any in recent years. Even more so than back when Bosh was here. I absolutely understand that for the atmosphere at the ACC to be as good as it is in other arenas the team will have to earn it in the playoffs. In the mean time let's back them up? Rather than getting down every time we lose a game. Even if it's to a team we should of beat.

Yes the Celtics are a joke this year and by no means should anyone of apologized for saying so before hand. It's blatant they're trying to lose, and it's blatant that we are the better team. Miami lost to the Knicks and Nets this year and a few more, think their fans the next day were like "man we're no longer contenders?"

Get with it guys, we're not gonna win every game, but we will compete enjoy it!

I don't really blame the fans for being sceptical. Toronto sports fans have been pretty much blue-ballsed the last few years with the Jays huge expectations and the Leafs huge playoff meltdown last year. I think we would just like to see this recent success maintained for more than 15 games before we can fully "buy-in".

Comment

For me the Raptors need at least 1.5 seasons of success before I stop cringing when I look at who they will be playing next. Many years of futility has given me that right. The Raptors have to prove to me that they are the real deal.. and one season is just not enough (and at this point we haven't even seen half a season).

Comment

Last time I was shaken was so long ago, we need a wakeup call here and there so it's not that big of a deal.
        I'm just so glad that the players aren't as shaky as half the raptor fans
        Came out against a great team and had a bounce back game
        It's all coming together, last time this year we would have lost a game like last nights by nine even if we lead it by 5 with 4 mins left in the fourth.
        It's new for all of us
        I guess, It's gonna take sometime before we only realize that were gonna need quick reminders not to get over our selves

It's all good
        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I am someone who's a day one Raptors fan and I've been limiting myself in how much I've been watching the team this year after what's amounted to close on 15 years in total of frustrating mediocre basketball. If you look at this season as a whole you have to say they're heading in the right direction overall. My confidence in the team is actually growing. I can see where they're going with this. Still, to make it to the top they're gonna need to get lucky in the draft...

Comment

a lot of superfluous cheerleading with nothing substantial being said.

we aren't the heat, pacers or spurs. we don't have an insane .800 record.

our record is barely over .500 right now. and while it would have been great if theoretically rudy was traded before the season started and we take away the awful 6-12 beginning, thats just not possible. theres no cushion here for mistakes, especially with the NY teams turning around as well.

it goes both ways. some fans confidence can get shaken after a horrible game like the boston matchup. other fans all of a sudden think we're champions cause we're finally playing .500 (ie. MEDIOCRE) ball. some raptors fans are still mocking how bad washington are, yet they're 19-19.
            Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              a lot of superfluous cheerleading with nothing substantial being said.

we aren't the heat, pacers or spurs. we don't have an insane .800 record.

our record is barely over .500 right now. and while it would have been great if theoretically rudy was traded before the season started and we take away the awful 6-12 beginning, thats just not possible. theres no cushion here for mistakes, especially with the NY teams turning around as well.

it goes both ways. some fans confidence can get shaken after a horrible game like the boston matchup. other fans all of a sudden think we're champions cause we're finally playing .500 (ie. MEDIOCRE) ball. some raptors fans are still mocking how bad washington are, yet they're 19-19.
              We are 15-6 since the Gay trade. Thats 71.4% in 21 games (1/4 of the season), thats the team that has a great record while having one of the hardest schedules. This is the level some of us believe we can sustain (give or take)
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                We are 15-6 since the Gay trade. Thats 71.4% in 21 games (1/4 of the season), thats the team that has a great record while having one of the hardest schedules. This is the level some of us believe we can sustain (give or take)
                so basically, you think we're as good as the miami heat right now is what you're saying (their current record being about 71%)

Comment

The eyeballs say that there is much to cheer about the way the team is playing especially with 2 second yr players as starters. But do get serious about waving the flags too much ...its not even been a half season and the ATl. div, is probably the crappiest its ever been. To be knocking the Celtics as much as was occurring here before that game was terrible. Many of us know about the true adage of pro leagues that "on any given day...." and dont go strutting before achieving.

This team is not deep and even nagging injuries like those to TH and now Salmons if it happens to KL or another starter can be curtains to a 50 win season as another thread is implying. Now this maybe a glass half full view/possibility but this happens regularly in the NBA...check around the league...we've been pretty lucky so far.

Its a game to game thing for me. Those who have experienced seasons of bad losing and management tend to be just a wee bit more wary.
                  Last edited by Bendit; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah. I take it one game at a time. The Minnesota win was nice since the boston game was so bad. Be interesting to see in the coming weeks.
                    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Look...until I see second round of playoffs i'm never really going to believe.

Between the Leafs and the Raptors...I want to believe but damn...

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        so basically, you think we're as good as the miami heat right now is what you're saying (their current record being about 71%)
                        Well, if you look it as that, at least things could be worse. We could be the Milwaukee Bucks. (No offense to Milwaukee but it's not a place I'd want to be in, though it has a nice amusement/water parks)
                        #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

I wouldn't say I have no confidence in the team, just modest expectations. I love the team and enjoy supporting a group of guys that are likeable and play winning team basketball, but I can't see the point in looking too far ahead. They've been hot since the Gay trade, but It's highly unlikely they keep winning at this rate.

Comment

I think you're taking this the wrong way.
                            It's been a very tumultuous period for the Raptors, and they don't deserve our full confidence yet.
                            The word here is confidence, right?
                            Not support - confidence.

I was wary after the loss in Boston - not because good teams don't lose, but because I was curious how the team would react.
                            They've been riding a high since the Gay trade, and even bad teams go on runs.
                            Look at NY and Brooklyn right now.
                            They both just went on runs - do they deserve fans' confidence?
                            They sure as shit don't have mine.
                            They Raptors reacted well against Minnesota (relatively, they won at least), and now I have more confidence in them.

But this is still an unproven team, C-Low.
                            Folks around here are critical. I'm critical.
                            I like this team and I support this team, but I am not convinced that our current line-up are winners yet.
                            I haven't seen enough.
                            I was a big advocate for the wait-and-see approach after the Gay trade, when most were convinced the wins were luck and we were in it for the ****, and it's still wait-and-see time.
                            Not enough quality wins over quality opponents.

I could even break it down further:
                            Lowry has my confidence, DeRozan doesn't.
                            Those are the two biggest pieces of the puzzle, and one piece just isn't there yet.

I like the determination.
                            I like the grit and I like the passion, and I like the players.
                            But confidence is a whole other thing.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              I wouldn't say I have no confidence in the team, just modest expectations. I love the team and enjoy supporting a group of guys that are likeable and play winning team basketball, but I can't see the point in looking too far ahead. They've been hot since the Gay trade, but It's highly unlikely they keep winning at this rate.
                              That.
                              You managed to condense my essay into a few sentences.

Comment

Working...
                              X