Raptors TV Ratings & Web Numbers Are Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors TV Ratings & Web Numbers Are Up

With all the recent success, Raptors basketball is a hot commodity on television and the web at the moment. Hopefully the trend continues.

On TSN, Raptors games are averaging 240,000 viewers — up 64 per cent since the Gay trade. The four games in January are averaging 268,000, and for the season to date the average is 197,000, which is up 17 per cent from last year. TSN is on pace for the highest Raptors regular season average since 2009-10 — when they missed the playoffs by one game.

On Sportsnet, the gains are much more modest, but they have improved. Since the trade, viewership is up to 148,000, up 2 per cent from the pre-trade period.
    While Raptors brass is pleased with the bump in TV numbers, there’s also giddiness about some web numbers coming from the league head office. Worldwide interest in the team is ballooning, with Raptors-related videos on NBA.com getting more hits from people on desktop computers than any other team — 61 per cent more than second-place Houston. The Raptors are also second on mobile, which is a splashy 848 per cent growth over last year.
    We can certainly attest to this seeing how our activity levels have increased considerably over the last month or so. People actually do like winning. Who knew?

Source - Click here

TSN got 64% increase since the Gay trade? Wow.

Comment

Here's the thing people have to remember about the ratings number: the Raptors are a Toronto-based team. The audience for these games is primarily the GTA and the rest of southern Ontario. The Raps don't have a national reach. I know we have a few Calgary-based fans on this forum but running into a Raptors fan out here is extremely rare. Even basketball fans out here that I know don't watch the Raps. In fact, most of them feel the same way about the Raptors they feel about any Toronto team: they don't like them.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Here's the thing people have to remember about the ratings number: the Raptors are a Toronto-based team. The audience for these games is primarily the GTA and the rest of southern Ontario. The Raps don't have a national reach. I know we have a few Calgary-based fans on this forum but running into a Raptors fan out here is extremely rare. Even basketball fans out here that I know don't watch the Raps. In fact, most of them feel the same way about the Raptors they feel about any Toronto team: they don't like them.
        I can attest to this being from the Maritimes, finding a raptors or in general a basketball fan out this way is tough.

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
          I can attest to this being from the Maritimes, finding a raptors or in general a basketball fan out this way is tough.
          I hear ya brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

New owners of MLSE (Bell and Rogers) know they make more money with winning franchises.
            The future is bright

Comment

Calgarian on a Raptor island here.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Spot on. Which is why the team colours re-brand is a big deal (aka 'not' looking like a certain hockey team).
                - I expect a lot more national tv coverage next year from Rogers and Bell (especially if the team's winning; people like to watch winning 'ball, which is a no-brainer; specifically the band-wagoners)

Comment

gametime wrote: View Post
                  Spot on. Which is why the team colours re-brand is a big deal (aka 'not' looking like a certain hockey team).
                  - I expect a lot more national tv coverage next year from Rogers and Bell (especially if the team's winning; people like to watch winning 'ball, which is a no-brainer; specifically the band-wagoners)
                  I could be wrong, but I am almost sure that every Raps game is nationally televised. Not on basic cable I guess, but if you have access to TSN2 and the Sportsnet channels you can watch every game!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    I could be wrong, but I am almost sure that every Raps game is nationally televised. Not on basic cable I guess, but if you have access to TSN2 and the Sportsnet channels you can watch every game!
                    Yup, it's been that way for a few seasons now.

Comment

Working...
                    X