Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 104

Thread: What If We Dealt DeMar And Not Rudy?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    9,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    demar is 6th in the entire league in field goal attempts. hes 119th in field goal percentage.
    Oh man if only derozan knew how horrible the long 2's are

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    demar is 6th in the entire league in field goal attempts. hes 119th in field goal percentage.
    Clear-cut evidence. He's clearly unable to handle being the #1 option on this team.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    demar is 6th in the entire league in field goal attempts. hes 119th in field goal percentage.
    Sweet, fancy, Moses!

    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bet he'd be an all star by now if pop was his coach his whole career


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Like NoPropsneeded, chch166, Rapstor4Life liked this post
  6. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's ask this instead:

    Who do you think would have more trade value -- DeRozan right now, or Gay, if we had traded DeRozan first.

    I'd prefer we got rid of both, but I feel like it'll be hard to trade DeRozan now because it doesn't really help matters much unless someone is offering their 2014 lottery pick.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  7. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    1,801
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Let's ask this instead:

    Who do you think would have more trade value -- DeRozan right now, or Gay, if we had traded DeRozan first.

    I'd prefer we got rid of both, but I feel like it'll be hard to trade DeRozan now because it doesn't really help matters much unless someone is offering their 2014 lottery pick.
    The team could use that 9.5 million. And I think there is value out there for DD, whether it be in the form of a high pick (this year or next), or a lower pick along with a prospect.

  8. Like Michel G liked this post
  9. #27
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Talent wise Rudy would have been a better option.. but MU feared his player option, and I think MU wanted to tank (it just backfired).

    Rudy is also good defensively as DeMar (arguably better) so the defensive effort would have been sustained. I don't know if I can say the same for ball movement but I would assume it would have improved just as well as it did after the Rudy trade with one less ball stopper on the team.

    The key though is would DD have delivered Patterson? Pat-squared is one of the main reasons why the team has been so successful post-trade.

  10. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    demar is 6th in the entire league in field goal attempts. hes 119th in field goal percentage.
    contrast with rudy gay this season who is 11th in the entire league in FGA, and 76th in FG%.


    take note that despite the huge discrepancies in FG% placement, that accounts for ALL players without accounting for attempts, so its not as crazy bad as it seems. but still, its not great.

  11. #29
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Let's ask this instead:

    Who do you think would have more trade value -- DeRozan right now, or Gay, if we had traded DeRozan first.

    I'd prefer we got rid of both, but I feel like it'll be hard to trade DeRozan now because it doesn't really help matters much unless someone is offering their 2014 lottery pick.
    I am praying Cleveland, Charlotte, or Phoenix get desperate.

    I'm also happy getting 2015 picks.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  12. Like Bandit liked this post
  13. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie ghotte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    So basically I just asked is anyone was curious on what this team would be like now if we dealt DeMar to Sacramento instead of Rudy?

    the Raptors record when DeMar shoots over 20+ shots per game as oppose to under 20. The Raptors record when DeRozan takes 20+ shots is 2-5. When he takes 19 or fewer, we're 11-3.
    With Gay on the team there'd be no wings that take the ball to the hoop. In other words, we would be even more perimeter oriented imo. Right move dollar and play wise.

    Interesting that Rudy is playing better after the trade but can anyone answer whether he is more "efficient"?

  14. #31
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ghotte wrote: View Post
    With Gay on the team there'd be no wings that take the ball to the hoop. In other words, we would be even more perimeter oriented imo. Right move dollar and play wise.

    Interesting that Rudy is playing better after the trade but can anyone answer whether he is more "efficient"?
    Much more efficient.

    21pts on 15.3 shots.

    1.37 points per shot.

    With raptors 19.4 points on 18.6 shots.

    1.04 points per shot.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  15. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Much more efficient.

    21pts on 15.3 shots.

    1.37 points per shot.

    With raptors 19.4 points on 18.6 shots.

    1.04 points per shot.
    Welcome back, bro! We missed ya.

  16. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Man, I have both Demar and Rudy in my fantasy team. Take a wild guess who's hurting it more? Rudy has responded well and needed an alpha dog to find his game again. As for Demar, his weak handles and long 2's is wearing thin. Very thin.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  17. #34
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rudy is on a terror with the Kings... that deal was totally about his player option and this off season. like someone already mentioned above... MU didnt expect we would win this many games; well he himself admitted that in one of the interview aired on NBA TV Canada the other day.

  18. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I am praying Cleveland, Charlotte, or Phoenix get desperate.

    I'm also happy getting 2015 picks.
    I have a funny feeling its Charlotte.. ive been having this feeling about Charlotte and Demar since this off season

  19. #36
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Welcome back, bro! We missed ya.
    i share this sentiment.. kudos

  20. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    Oh man if only derozan knew how horrible the long 2's are
    The long two actually isn't a bad shot. It's a bad shot if you aren't good at shooting them....if only DD realized that he isn't a very good shooter

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm also happy getting 2015 picks.
    Trey Lyles looks like he could be a great PF. Can handle, shoot and is apparently a GREAT passer. He's on my radar for 2015.

    Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    I have a funny feeling its Charlotte.. ive been having this feeling about Charlotte and Demar since this off season
    DD would actually look pretty good in Charlotte...too bad they have Henderson, who is basically a 6 mil version of DD...

  21. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im just wondering, what do you guys think our offence would consist of without Derozan taking all of the shots he takes? What other offence do we truly have? He's not playing iso offence rudy gay style; he's getting good lucks, but things have changed since late December. Why?

    DC literally runs the same handful of plays every game, and given how obvious they are, we are seeing defences close out on DD and block his way to the rim. In DD's defence, he plays a ton of minutes a night, and we can see when his legs are tiring. I remember seeing this way back when the Raps were in Miami and lost their lead early in the 4th quarter. Derozan couldn't get anything to fall while Miami showed their prowess and won the game. To me this shows how important he is to our offence, and how even he accepts being the 'bate' on offence by playing extended in minutes and drawing attention. The only way to retain that attention is, as necessary, to take more shots. Shocker.

    What about the other starters? No one else can step up. T Ross's shot has been inconsistent, and JV (despite receiving a severe shortage of touches) is prone to taking poor shots as well over defenders. He has an arsenal consisting of 2 or so moves, and still has yet to grow. Amir has been disappointing of late. KL has been the bright spot overall with his 'brilliant' 43.8% shooting. If anything, JV can get more touches, but him scoring even 16-17 ppg doesn't make him any better of a first option than Derozan.

    Honestly, is there any other potential first scoring option on our team? Clearly not in the eyes of the the coaching staff. I would love to see the Bigs get involved more, and more than anything, see Derozan take it to the rim off screens instead of pull up all the time. But is there truly anything more we can get from this core group on offence as of now?

    I agree with much that has been said in this thread, but Demar and Lowry are the only reason we have been a 'consistent' 20-20 this season, and both guys are playing their hearts out. I just can't understand how outlooks change when, for example Derozan scores 26 on 9/24 shooting to lead us to the W over the Pacers( with 9 boards, 3 assists)[people are happy], to today, where people complain about Derozan's 10/24 shooting for 25 points vs the Bobcats in a loss (6 boards, 2 assists) when he was the reason we retained any dignity in the first half with the way he was playing. In the second half, he got shut down, but the attention he grabbed allowed the slumping Lowry (9-22) and Vasquez to bring us back into the game. Ultimately, our other All star Kyle Lowry missed the game tying free throw, but that was luck of the draw. As a fan, I appreciate their effort for fighting back and not letting this game go down as a blowout. But look at the bigger picture.

    In both cases, Derozan brought it. Only difference, our bigs didn't.

    To put this into context, last year when James Harden was given the reigns to an offence, he averaged 25 ppg on 43.8%. Demar, who for the first time has become our team's clear leader on offence, is averaging 21 ppg on 42%. Demar is no James Harden, but he has put in vast amount of work to come just a fraction closer to his offensive brilliance. If Demar was a better 3 point shooter, he too could put up 25 ppg on 43% by simply shooting more 3's and less 2's. The point his, he has become a legitimate scoring threat and is fully capable of dropping 22 ppg consistently. Lets not forget Derozan's improving defence either.

    Demar wasn't supposed to become an all star in this league. Yet he is giving it is all for this team, and is working hard to step up. He hasn't hit his peak yet, and he continues to grow as a player and leader. He is showing fire and leadership. Leadership sometimes requires taking the tough shots.

    Last time we faced the mavs, demar got shut down, yet he had 9 assists and came up big with what was the game winner in overtime. He has the fire to be great, and I think he will be, so long as he continues to put himself in the leadership position and take the tough shots.

    That, my friends, is adaptive leadership.
    Being the shining star on some nights
    While being the rough gem in the dirt on others.

    Point is, we have done what so many have said we wouldn't do, and that is to win games.

    Just my 2 cents.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan


  22. #39
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
    Im just wondering, what do you guys think our offence would consist of without Derozan taking all of the shots he takes? What other offence do we truly have? He's not playing iso offence rudy gay style; he's getting good lucks, but things have changed since late December. Why?

    DC literally runs the same handful of plays every game, and given how obvious they are, we are seeing defences close out on DD and block his way to the rim. In DD's defence, he plays a ton of minutes a night, and we can see when his legs are tiring. I remember seeing this way back when the Raps were in Miami and lost their lead early in the 4th quarter. Derozan couldn't get anything to fall while Miami showed their prowess and won the game. To me this shows how important he is to our offence, and how even he accepts being the 'bate' on offence by playing extended in minutes and drawing attention. The only way to retain that attention is, as necessary, to take more shots. Shocker.

    What about the other starters? No one else can step up. T Ross's shot has been inconsistent, and JV (despite receiving a severe shortage of touches) is prone to taking poor shots as well over defenders. He has an arsenal consisting of 2 or so moves, and still has yet to grow. Amir has been disappointing of late. KL has been the bright spot overall with his 'brilliant' 43.8% shooting. If anything, JV can get more touches, but him scoring even 16-17 ppg doesn't make him any better of a first option than Derozan.

    Honestly, is there any other potential first scoring option on our team? Clearly not in the eyes of the the coaching staff. I would love to see the Bigs get involved more, and more than anything, see Derozan take it to the rim off screens instead of pull up all the time. But is there truly anything more we can get from this core group on offence as of now?

    I agree with much that has been said in this thread, but Demar and Lowry are the only reason we have been a 'consistent' 20-20 this season, and both guys are playing their hearts out. I just can't understand how outlooks change when, for example Derozan scores 26 on 9/24 shooting to lead us to the W over the Pacers( with 9 boards, 3 assists)[people are happy], to today, where people complain about Derozan's 10/24 shooting for 25 points vs the Bobcats in a loss (6 boards, 2 assists) when he was the reason we retained any dignity in the first half with the way he was playing. In the second half, he got shut down, but the attention he grabbed allowed the slumping Lowry (9-22) and Vasquez to bring us back into the game. Ultimately, our other All star Kyle Lowry missed the game tying free throw, but that was luck of the draw. As a fan, I appreciate their effort for fighting back and not letting this game go down as a blowout. But look at the bigger picture.

    In both cases, Derozan brought it. Only difference, our bigs didn't.

    To put this into context, last year when James Harden was given the reigns to an offence, he averaged 25 ppg on 43.8%. Demar, who for the first time has become our team's clear leader on offence, is averaging 21 ppg on 42%. Demar is no James Harden, but he has put in vast amount of work to come just a fraction closer to his offensive brilliance. If Demar was a better 3 point shooter, he too could put up 25 ppg on 43% by simply shooting more 3's and less 2's. The point his, he has become a legitimate scoring threat and is fully capable of dropping 22 ppg consistently. Lets not forget Derozan's improving defence either.

    Demar wasn't supposed to become an all star in this league. Yet he is giving it is all for this team, and is working hard to step up. He hasn't hit his peak yet, and he continues to grow as a player and leader. He is showing fire and leadership. Leadership sometimes requires taking the tough shots.

    Last time we faced the mavs, demar got shut down, yet he had 9 assists and came up big with what was the game winner in overtime. He has the fire to be great, and I think he will be, so long as he continues to put himself in the leadership position and take the tough shots.

    That, my friends, is adaptive leadership.
    Being the shining star on some nights
    While being the rough gem in the dirt on others.

    Point is, we have done what so many have said we wouldn't do, and that is to win games.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Percentages mean little.

    How many points per shot does harden get? Compare it to DeRozan. It is incredible.

    Basketball is not 1 on 5.

    Check raptors response to DeRozan on bench vs Dallas in 2nd quarter... Team ball trumps all.

    Vasquez, Hayes, Amir, salmons, and Ross has taken 34-15 game to 38-32 in 6 minutes.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  23. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  24. #40
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wowza! DeMar's making me eat a little crow tonight. Dude's having a career game this evening.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •