Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What If We Dealt DeMar And Not Rudy?

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The long 2 is a shot you can get at anytime on offense, so it should be the last option. Getting to the rim should be option 1 and the 3 point shot should be option 2 (when it comes off ball movement/ penetration)

2. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    The best way to describe DD's game tonight was he hit shots. He took a lot of bad shots and just hit them. Though one could argue that if he would have played better D in the first...we may not have been down 21 after 1...
    Exactly.

I think we would have been much better off with rudy on a pure talent basis. The most important reason is defensively.

If you have ross and gay starting as your 2-3, you are much more lethal defensively. Rudy and ross can both block and alter shots from those spots. Plus Gay is a better rebounder.

having a bigger SF coming off the bench like salmons becomes less necessary because we can match up against any bigger team.

I like derozan...i'm not sure who doesn't...but we sink or swim on whether or not he's hitting shots. We can't count on him to effect the game consistently in any other way

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we forgotten so quickly?

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar currently sitting 9th on NBA.com's KIA MVP Ladder......It also looks like he's going to be an All-star this year....Can someone close this silly thread now?

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Demar currently sitting 9th on NBA.com's KIA MVP Ladder......It also looks like he's going to be an All-star this year....Can someone close this silly thread now?
    why?

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    why?
    Because he's #9 on the KIA MVP Ladder. NUMMMBEERRRR NIIIIIINEEEE!
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    As long as your leading scorer is taking 18 shots per game and getting just 1.17 points per shot, your team is going to struggle.

In the last 5 games DeRozan has actually taken 20 shots per game with just 1.03 points per shot to show for it.

As for sending DeRozan to Sacramento versus Rudy, I don't think it would have been in Raptors best interests. Rudy has been served a giant piece of humble pie. In his defense he has responded very well. Toronto does not have two big time scorers that Sacramento doe (Thomas and Cousins) nor do the Raptors have same calibre of coach.

In the end, the trade was the best for everyone. I'm hopeful DeRozan is dealt before trade deadline and Lowry becomes sign and trade bait over summer.
    Why? Raps are winning and DeRozan's a HUGE part of it. And who do u want back in exchange for DD? draft picks?? a young player? hope that that pick/player becomes a 20+ppg/all-star player?? DeRozan is already that and he's only 24 years old.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Why? Raps are winning and DeRozan's a HUGE part of it. And who do u want back in exchange for DD? draft picks?? a young player? hope that that pick/player becomes a 20+ppg/all-star player?? DeRozan is already that and he's only 24 years old.
    Hope that that pick/player becomes a player who plays winning basketball - efficiency and defense included. DeRozan does not do that.

10. Like OldSkoolCool, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Hope that that pick/player becomes a player who plays winning basketball - efficiency and defense included. DeRozan does not do that.
    "Hope"

You have a player that is putting up 20+ppg. Gonna be an all-star this year. And you want to move him for "hope?"
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hes only going to get better ladies and gents!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

"Hope"

You have a player that is putting up 20+ppg. Gonna be an all-star this year. And you want to move him for "hope?"
    I have a player who is among the league worst in efficiency, is a lackluster defender, and Mo Williams was an all-star.

Hope sounds pretty good to me.

14. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a player who is among the league worst in efficiency, is a lackluster defender, and Mo Williams was an all-star.

Haha, as was Jamal Magloire, Wally Szczerbiak, Tyrone Hill, Dale & Antonio Davis, and A.C. Green
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

16. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can win with an inefficient first option. Look at Portland with Aldridge. However Raptors don't have Lillard, Matthews, Batum, and Lopez getting ridiculous big time points per shot to overcome DD's inefficiency.

If Raptors find that and continue winning great.

However the winning comes with a huge * in my opinion. 21-20 is great but the east is weak. Lets call a spade a spade. Big time stars are missing long stretches or out for season. Teams are tanking like never before. This season is not a vacuum. The next few seasons are not going to continue like this. A reversal to the norm will eventually occur and at some point the east will actually be the stronger conference like it was in the '90s.

Late last season proved to be fools gold. I hope this season since the Gay trade does not prove to be the same as eventually teams will start cashing in assets or watching assets blossom. There is no guaranteed path to success but there is a lot of potential already lurking on some bottom feeder east teams. Will it be realized and if so what will that look like?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Haha, as was Jamal Magloire, Wally Szczerbiak, Tyrone Hill, Dale & Antonio Davis, and A.C. Green
    All-star is certainly impressive - no question.

However in the middle of the season so much politics plays in to selections (team record, coaches vote, etc. etc.).

I'm not trying to move the goal line on DeRozan because egg on my face I didn't think he'd ever be a lock for an all-star game. Josh Smith like on the bubble, yes..... but All-NBA 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team is his next step. I hope he makes it.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    LOL Damn ...

Dan does the H stand for Hate? Last time I checked we were 15-8 since trading Rudy Gay with Demar being our leading scorer and arguably our best player.

What exactly is your problem??

You know what?....don't answer. I'll just dismiss your ridiculous comments as the usual hate i see on this site from time to time. Bitter fans that are pissed that they were proven wrong and continue to talk the same shit from last year and the years before. This player you are clearly hating on will likely be an all star this year. That may not mean a lot to you, but it means a lot to real fans of this team, who actually see the improvement in Demar's game.

No need to be disrespectful...just continue to eat crow.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Damn ...

Dan does the H stand for Hate? Last time I checked we were 15-8 since trading Rudy Gay with Demar being our leading scorer and arguably our best player.

You know what?....don't answer. I'll just dismiss your ridiculous comments as the usual hate i see on this site from time to time. Bitter fans that are pissed that they were proven wrong and continue to talk the same shit from last year and the years before. This player you are clearly hating on will likely be an all star this year. That may not mean a lot to you, but it means a lot to real fans of this team, who actually see the improvement in Demar's game.

Maybe if you stopped dismissing any opinion that doesn't simply heap praise on DeRozan, you might actually be able to understand the rationale behind those opinions. Pointing out a negative does not equal hate.

I hope DeRozan and Lowry are both named to the all-star team. I honestly do, for the good of the Raptors franchise and its long-suffering fans.

However, even an all-star recognition wouldn't blind me to the fact that DeRozan's advanced stats and efficiency numbers still aren't fantastic. Nobody has ever questioned his ability to score, only his ability to consistently do so efficiently. His defense is still average at best, which negates at least some of his scoring.

Has DeRozan improved this season? Sure, a little bit (though what happened to the much bally-hooed improved 3pt shooting?). Does he still have room to improve? I believe so. Is he more worth his salary than when he first signed his extension? I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't make him infallible.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Damn ...

Criticism doesn't necessarily need to be referred to as hate.

Oh, and Lowry is arguably the team's best player. It pains me to say it because I've never been a fan of him since he came into the NBA, but without his resurrection, Toronto wouldn't be where they are at the moment. This team could still compete without DeMar in my opinion. Without Lowry at the moment, we'd be awful. JMO

22. Like OldSkoolCool, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Maybe if you stopped dismissing any opinion that doesn't simply heap praise on DeRozan, you might actually be able to understand the rationale behind those opinions. Pointing out a negative does not equal hate.

I hope DeRozan and Lowry are both named to the all-star team. I honestly do, for the good of the Raptors franchise and its long-suffering fans.

However, even an all-star recognition wouldn't blind me to the fact that DeRozan's advanced stats and efficiency numbers still aren't fantastic. Nobody has ever questioned his ability to score, only his ability to consistently do so efficiently. His defense is still average at best, which negates at least some of his scoring.

Has DeRozan improved this season? Sure, a little bit (though what happened to the much bally-hooed improved 3pt shooting?). Does he still have room to improve? I believe so. Is he more worth his salary than when he first signed his extension? I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't make him infallible.
    LOL CalgaryRapsFan..... you know you wanted to trade Demar. We know where you stand. You wanted to trade him for a draft pick. I'm not shocked that you would agree with DanH. You guys have the same views in my opinion. Eat crow as well.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL CalgaryRapsFan..... you know you wanted to trade Demar. We know where you stand. You wanted to trade him for a draft pick. I'm not shocked that you would agree with DanH. You guys have the same views in my opinion. Eat crow as well.
    Yes, in the offseason I was hoping the Raps could trade DeRozan to Utah for Millsap (via S&T), in a retooling effort (ie: not rebuilding or tanking), to better distribute the team salary and balance the lineup (those saying Gay & DeRozan couldn't co-exist were proven right). With hindsight, I still think that would've been a great trade, allowing Amir to become the 3rd big and Ross to start at SG sooner.

I still support trading DeRozan for a top-5-10 draft pick at the draft, when MU can be guaranteed the value of the return. I prefer Ross as the starting SG going forward and I don't think DeRozan is a legit starting SF.

The bottom line is that DeRozan is still primarily a one-dimensional player, who is largely inconsistently efficient at that dimension. As I said above, there is no doubt that he has shown minor improvements, but he still hasn't resolved his key problem (or his secondary problem, being average-at-best defense).

I'm not sure why I need to eat crow, but I'd prefer it well done if you're firing it up on the bbq.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jan 24th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Criticism doesn't necessarily need to be referred to as hate.

Oh, and Lowry is arguably the team's best player. It pains me to say it because I've never been a fan of him since he came into the NBA, but without his resurrection, Toronto wouldn't be where they are at the moment. This team could still compete without DeMar in my opinion. Without Lowry at the moment, we'd be awful. JMO
    Thanks for your opinion. I vehemently disagree with you. I think Demar is our best player, but I won't argue if you think he's a close second.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information