What If We Dealt DeMar And Not Rudy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ghotte wrote: View Post
    With Gay on the team there'd be no wings that take the ball to the hoop. In other words, we would be even more perimeter oriented imo. Right move dollar and play wise.

Interesting that Rudy is playing better after the trade but can anyone answer whether he is more "efficient"?
    Much more efficient.

21pts on 15.3 shots.

1.37 points per shot.

With raptors 19.4 points on 18.6 shots.

1.04 points per shot.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Much more efficient.

21pts on 15.3 shots.

1.37 points per shot.

With raptors 19.4 points on 18.6 shots.

1.04 points per shot.
      Welcome back, bro! We missed ya.

Comment

Man, I have both Demar and Rudy in my fantasy team. Take a wild guess who's hurting it more? Rudy has responded well and needed an alpha dog to find his game again. As for Demar, his weak handles and long 2's is wearing thin. Very thin.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Rudy is on a terror with the Kings... that deal was totally about his player option and this off season. like someone already mentioned above... MU didnt expect we would win this many games; well he himself admitted that in one of the interview aired on NBA TV Canada the other day.

Comment

I am praying Cleveland, Charlotte, or Phoenix get desperate.

I'm also happy getting 2015 picks.
            I have a funny feeling its Charlotte.. ive been having this feeling about Charlotte and Demar since this off season

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Welcome back, bro! We missed ya.
              i share this sentiment.. kudos

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                Oh man if only derozan knew how horrible the long 2's are
                The long two actually isn't a bad shot. It's a bad shot if you aren't good at shooting them....if only DD realized that he isn't a very good shooter

I'm also happy getting 2015 picks.
                Trey Lyles looks like he could be a great PF. Can handle, shoot and is apparently a GREAT passer. He's on my radar for 2015.

ball4life wrote: View Post
                I have a funny feeling its Charlotte.. ive been having this feeling about Charlotte and Demar since this off season
                DD would actually look pretty good in Charlotte...too bad they have Henderson, who is basically a 6 mil version of DD...

Comment

Im just wondering, what do you guys think our offence would consist of without Derozan taking all of the shots he takes? What other offence do we truly have? He's not playing iso offence rudy gay style; he's getting good lucks, but things have changed since late December. Why?

DC literally runs the same handful of plays every game, and given how obvious they are, we are seeing defences close out on DD and block his way to the rim. In DD's defence, he plays a ton of minutes a night, and we can see when his legs are tiring. I remember seeing this way back when the Raps were in Miami and lost their lead early in the 4th quarter. Derozan couldn't get anything to fall while Miami showed their prowess and won the game. To me this shows how important he is to our offence, and how even he accepts being the 'bate' on offence by playing extended in minutes and drawing attention. The only way to retain that attention is, as necessary, to take more shots. Shocker.

What about the other starters? No one else can step up. T Ross's shot has been inconsistent, and JV (despite receiving a severe shortage of touches) is prone to taking poor shots as well over defenders. He has an arsenal consisting of 2 or so moves, and still has yet to grow. Amir has been disappointing of late. KL has been the bright spot overall with his 'brilliant' 43.8% shooting. If anything, JV can get more touches, but him scoring even 16-17 ppg doesn't make him any better of a first option than Derozan.

Honestly, is there any other potential first scoring option on our team? Clearly not in the eyes of the the coaching staff. I would love to see the Bigs get involved more, and more than anything, see Derozan take it to the rim off screens instead of pull up all the time. But is there truly anything more we can get from this core group on offence as of now?

I agree with much that has been said in this thread, but Demar and Lowry are the only reason we have been a 'consistent' 20-20 this season, and both guys are playing their hearts out. I just can't understand how outlooks change when, for example Derozan scores 26 on 9/24 shooting to lead us to the W over the Pacers( with 9 boards, 3 assists)[people are happy], to today, where people complain about Derozan's 10/24 shooting for 25 points vs the Bobcats in a loss (6 boards, 2 assists) when he was the reason we retained any dignity in the first half with the way he was playing. In the second half, he got shut down, but the attention he grabbed allowed the slumping Lowry (9-22) and Vasquez to bring us back into the game. Ultimately, our other All star Kyle Lowry missed the game tying free throw, but that was luck of the draw. As a fan, I appreciate their effort for fighting back and not letting this game go down as a blowout. But look at the bigger picture.

In both cases, Derozan brought it. Only difference, our bigs didn't.

To put this into context, last year when James Harden was given the reigns to an offence, he averaged 25 ppg on 43.8%. Demar, who for the first time has become our team's clear leader on offence, is averaging 21 ppg on 42%. Demar is no James Harden, but he has put in vast amount of work to come just a fraction closer to his offensive brilliance. If Demar was a better 3 point shooter, he too could put up 25 ppg on 43% by simply shooting more 3's and less 2's. The point his, he has become a legitimate scoring threat and is fully capable of dropping 22 ppg consistently. Lets not forget Derozan's improving defence either.

Demar wasn't supposed to become an all star in this league. Yet he is giving it is all for this team, and is working hard to step up. He hasn't hit his peak yet, and he continues to grow as a player and leader. He is showing fire and leadership. Leadership sometimes requires taking the tough shots.

Last time we faced the mavs, demar got shut down, yet he had 9 assists and came up big with what was the game winner in overtime. He has the fire to be great, and I think he will be, so long as he continues to put himself in the leadership position and take the tough shots.

That, my friends, is adaptive leadership.
                  Being the shining star on some nights
                  While being the rough gem in the dirt on others.

Point is, we have done what so many have said we wouldn't do, and that is to win games.

Just my 2 cents.
                  I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                  -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                    Im just wondering, what do you guys think our offence would consist of without Derozan taking all of the shots he takes? What other offence do we truly have? He's not playing iso offence rudy gay style; he's getting good lucks, but things have changed since late December. Why?

DC literally runs the same handful of plays every game, and given how obvious they are, we are seeing defences close out on DD and block his way to the rim. In DD's defence, he plays a ton of minutes a night, and we can see when his legs are tiring. I remember seeing this way back when the Raps were in Miami and lost their lead early in the 4th quarter. Derozan couldn't get anything to fall while Miami showed their prowess and won the game. To me this shows how important he is to our offence, and how even he accepts being the 'bate' on offence by playing extended in minutes and drawing attention. The only way to retain that attention is, as necessary, to take more shots. Shocker.

What about the other starters? No one else can step up. T Ross's shot has been inconsistent, and JV (despite receiving a severe shortage of touches) is prone to taking poor shots as well over defenders. He has an arsenal consisting of 2 or so moves, and still has yet to grow. Amir has been disappointing of late. KL has been the bright spot overall with his 'brilliant' 43.8% shooting. If anything, JV can get more touches, but him scoring even 16-17 ppg doesn't make him any better of a first option than Derozan.

Honestly, is there any other potential first scoring option on our team? Clearly not in the eyes of the the coaching staff. I would love to see the Bigs get involved more, and more than anything, see Derozan take it to the rim off screens instead of pull up all the time. But is there truly anything more we can get from this core group on offence as of now?

I agree with much that has been said in this thread, but Demar and Lowry are the only reason we have been a 'consistent' 20-20 this season, and both guys are playing their hearts out. I just can't understand how outlooks change when, for example Derozan scores 26 on 9/24 shooting to lead us to the W over the Pacers( with 9 boards, 3 assists)[people are happy], to today, where people complain about Derozan's 10/24 shooting for 25 points vs the Bobcats in a loss (6 boards, 2 assists) when he was the reason we retained any dignity in the first half with the way he was playing. In the second half, he got shut down, but the attention he grabbed allowed the slumping Lowry (9-22) and Vasquez to bring us back into the game. Ultimately, our other All star Kyle Lowry missed the game tying free throw, but that was luck of the draw. As a fan, I appreciate their effort for fighting back and not letting this game go down as a blowout. But look at the bigger picture.

In both cases, Derozan brought it. Only difference, our bigs didn't.

To put this into context, last year when James Harden was given the reigns to an offence, he averaged 25 ppg on 43.8%. Demar, who for the first time has become our team's clear leader on offence, is averaging 21 ppg on 42%. Demar is no James Harden, but he has put in vast amount of work to come just a fraction closer to his offensive brilliance. If Demar was a better 3 point shooter, he too could put up 25 ppg on 43% by simply shooting more 3's and less 2's. The point his, he has become a legitimate scoring threat and is fully capable of dropping 22 ppg consistently. Lets not forget Derozan's improving defence either.

Demar wasn't supposed to become an all star in this league. Yet he is giving it is all for this team, and is working hard to step up. He hasn't hit his peak yet, and he continues to grow as a player and leader. He is showing fire and leadership. Leadership sometimes requires taking the tough shots.

Last time we faced the mavs, demar got shut down, yet he had 9 assists and came up big with what was the game winner in overtime. He has the fire to be great, and I think he will be, so long as he continues to put himself in the leadership position and take the tough shots.

That, my friends, is adaptive leadership.
                    Being the shining star on some nights
                    While being the rough gem in the dirt on others.

Point is, we have done what so many have said we wouldn't do, and that is to win games.

Just my 2 cents.
                    Percentages mean little.

How many points per shot does harden get? Compare it to DeRozan. It is incredible.

Basketball is not 1 on 5.

Check raptors response to DeRozan on bench vs Dallas in 2nd quarter... Team ball trumps all.

Vasquez, Hayes, Amir, salmons, and Ross has taken 34-15 game to 38-32 in 6 minutes.

Comment

Wowza! DeMar's making me eat a little crow tonight. Dude's having a career game this evening.

Comment

@Matt52, again, tonight Derozan kept us in the game and ultimately was a big reason for tonights W.

Forty points on 18/23 or whatever he shot is incredible. More importantly, he responded to the criticism and he attacked the basket. You really can't say that he doesn't play team basketball, given that he's averaged over 4 assists since Rudy left. Everything I talked about was addressed by the Raps tonight. The bigs stepped up, Derozan attacked the basket, and our team didn't settle for the 3 ball.

Great win.

Anyways, I hope it will be alright to compliment Demar again after tonights performance haha.
                        I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                        -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Philly just beat the knicks in New York hahaha
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                            @Matt52, again, tonight Derozan kept us in the game and ultimately was a big reason for tonights W.

Forty points on 18/23 or whatever he shot is incredible. More importantly, he responded to the criticism and he attacked the basket. You really can't say that he doesn't play team basketball, given that he's averaged over 4 assists since Rudy left. Everything I talked about was addressed by the Raps tonight. The bigs stepped up, Derozan attacked the basket, and our team didn't settle for the 3 ball.

Great win.

Anyways, I hope it will be alright to compliment Demar again after tonights performance haha.
                            He had a great game 2nd Q onwards no question.

But this game is not the norm.... Sorry.

1.8 points per shot is outstanding... That is the difference in game.

His 1.03 of previous 5 games would have been 85-76 win for Mavs.

His 1.17 of season would have been 85-79 win for Mavs.

But as Prague, mike said tonight he had it and was difference in game.

Good on him.
                            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:37 PM. Reason: Mavs scored 85 and raps 93... Not 95-88... Whoops

Comment

I take that back there was still a quarter left
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

NY is just bad. No chemistry on that team.

Comment

Working...
                                X