Thread: What's Sonny's Contract Situation This Summer?

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Sonny's Contract Situation This Summer?

During the game Jack Armstrong alluded to the fact that Sonny's contract ends this summer.

Given that he was a second round pick and it says on hoopshype that the Raptors have a team option on Sonny, does that mean that Sonny is a restrictive free agent if the Raptors wish to pick up his option?!

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    During the game Jack Armstrong alluded to the fact that Sonny's contract ends this summer.

Given that he was a second round pick and it says on hoopshype that the Raptors have a team option on Sonny, does that mean that Sonny is a restrictive free agent if the Raptors wish to pick up his option?!
    ESPN says that Weems will be a restricted free agent in 2011. No mention made of him this summer as a FA, RFA with a PO, TO or ETO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    ESPN says that Weems will be a restricted free agent in 2011. No mention made of him this summer as a FA, RFA with a PO, TO or ETO.
    I think ESPN is wrong, that would only be true if Sonny was a first round pick not a second.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Weems has a non-guaranteed year on his contract for the 2010/11 season worth $850k.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry -- accident -- double post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dave wrote: View Post
    Weems has a non-guaranteed year on his contract for the 2010/11 season worth $850k.
    Thanks.

So it seems that when the Raptors do guarantee his contract for the 2010/11 season it will probably be a major bargain if Weems just continue's to improve.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Raptors pick up his 2011 option then they secure Bird rights to him, meaning they have the right to match any offer even if they're above cap in 2011, which they will be. If they don't pick up his 2011 option and he hits the market this year then they can only sign him if they have cap space, which they probably won't. This is a non-issue. Colangelo would be a fool to no pick up that option.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

After we pick up his option, when can we extend his contract? Would be nice if we can lock him up to a cheap contract if he improves substantially this summer.

Raptors Republic Rookie CalibreMC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i said it at the beginning of the year and i will say it again...he should be the starting 2 on this team...

Post Thanks / Like

I really want Wright to start in the 2 spot in during the playoffs. He has lots of experience playing in the playoff. He is the best defender out of all of our sgs, and he is the best shooter out of our sgs when he is open.. I think this should be a no brainer for JT. But from what I have seen from JT so far, DD will start in the playoffs.... sigh...
    Take out the salami and cheese MAMA, this ball gameeeeee is OVERRRR!

Thread Information